What Game Are You Currently Playing?

Slay The Princess. An indie PC "narrative" game where you, the protagonist, has to kill the princess who's chained up in a basement, instead of saving her.

Needless to say, it's a subversion of the trope. And one that works.

It's a narrative game because the story is all that matters. Your only controls are to point and click, and to choose what to say.

It's a pretty dark Horror game too.

I'm enjoying it.

Just finished Assassin's Creed Mirage - was okay. Not great, not bad. Good in the beginning, kind of bleh at the end.

Currently playing Dead Island 2 - needed something fun and brainless, and there's nothing more brainless than zombies...

Back playing Shadow Empire.

Jeez! It's a complicated beast. Every time I play, I find new problems and new solutions. The latest patch has increased the complexity quite a bit I'd say. It discourages any thoughts of getting into politics because running a country and trying to keep everybody happy is just too damned difficult.

I played Ripout, a first-person shooter that is currently in development. Horrible fleshy blob-monsters have taken over the galaxy, and you go onto various procedurally-generated spaceships and do missions to destroy them. The graphics are very good for a "small" game. There are some nice mechanics, including using small blob monsters to enhance your abilities. While slightly samey, the missions have a good cycle of "acquire thing - use thing - acquire new thing" through which you upgrade yourself. Unfortunately, after a while you're forced to fight a big boss monster which is much more difficult and takes the choice out of the game. Up to that point, it was good.

Spent the weekend getting my arse kicked by Baldur's Gate 3. I love it, but it's frustrating sometimes. Also, after all that hard work, I discovered there was a big chunk of stuff that I missed, but I can't be bothered to go back and do it all over again. It's one of those games where it's kind of fun to live with your choices.

The Expanse game was on sale on Steam a few days ago. Has anyone played this? (I've heard that the Tell Tale game of The Walking Dead was quite good, so i think the studio has a good reputation.)

I picked it up in the sale but haven't played it yet. TWD and The Wolf Among Us were good.

Just finished Assassin's Creed Mirage. As an old fan who finished every AC released, I was surprised by small world and simplified combat system. After AC Odyssey and AC Valhalla, it felt like a kindergarten. Still, stealth is quite well, and parkour is probably better than ever. Ancient Baghdad, of course, looks lovely :love:

However, feels like a game for the old fans of the franchise - not sure if new players are even able to understand what is going on in Mirage and why. Knowledge of the first and all the three games with Ezio is compulsory.

I've started playing Jade Empire (2005), a roleplaying game with real-time fighting aspects. The really interesting thing about this is that it isn't a Tolkien knock-off and isn't connected to any other franchise: the setting is a Chinese-inspired world, with magic and steampunk technology. I wonder if it was somewhat inspired by the popularity of big-budget wuxia films in the early 2000s. It's by Bioware, who made the first Knights of the Old Republic game, and while quite difficult, is pretty interesting so far.

Jade Empire continues to be really good. It manages to feel like something fundamentally different to the Tolkienesque style of fantasy, by emphasising different (magical) martial art styles over armour, weapons and spells. The combat is fast and interesting, and the characters are quite good. So far, it's a lot more entertaining than Dragon Age. If it stays this good, it might be something of a "lost" classic.

I finally got my hands on the Resident Evil 4 Remake. Currently jumping back and forth between that and The Elder Scrolls Online.

Baldur's Gate 3. It's well-written, and the game mechanics sufficiently challenging such that those used to works like Dragon Age will have to adjust. However, I think there's an "adventure" mode that's easier.

Still playing Jade Empire and enjoying it a lot. There's some good dialogue and the setting is really interesting. I was surprised to find John Cleese doing a cameo as a foreign explorer who has arrived at the Jade Empire to irritate its citizens. It's the funniest thing I've seen Cleese do for a long time.