Fonts for kdp. What can I use legally?

Astro Pen

Write now.
Supporter
Can you just use the fonts from word and open office in your KDP books or do you need to buy fonts for commercial use?
Ingram Spark are putting the frighteners on in their book formatting guide regarding font licences. But I am sure most people just lob Times New Roman, Arial etc' straight into amazon kdp from their word documents.
Advice for a paranoid AP appreciated. :unsure:

KDP is doing print books now, too, isn't it? So for a print book I think you do need a public domain font or one that you have licensed (but lots of fonts are free for commercial use, or only require a small donation). However, for an ebook, no matter what font you want to use Kindle has it's own list of fonts for the reader to choose from. These days it's Bookerly, Caecilia, Helvetica Light, Georgia, Helvetica, Lucida, OpenDylexic, and Palatino.

(But I have also seen ebooks that offer "Publisher's Font" as a choice. I suspect, however, that is an option only open to big publishers.)

Thanks @Teresa Edgerton
It is primarily paperback that concerns me. Although others have published my short stories this is my first foray into self publishing and I hadn't even considered the legality of font use before.
What have others on here done when self publishing? Or did you just not worry about it?
Further:
Even Font Squirrel don't seem 100% confident. Section 2

Last edited:
It's not simply a matter of commercial use that you need to check, but whether a font's license allows embedding or not. There are many fonts that allow commercial use, but do not allow embedding. In the case of those fonts, you either need to get a license type that allows embedding (which is hugely expensive by the way) or be able to rasterize the text or convert it to curves.

As I do freelance cover art, I buy a lot of fonts and the sites I would recommend for buying fonts licenses if you want to go that route are Creative Fabrica, Creative Market, and Design Cuts. Creative Fabrica also has a very large free font section which is reputable. The fonts on these sites do allow commercial use, but do not allow embedding without a special license for it. However, they can still be used for the interior of a book if the text is rasterized or converted to curves.

A lot of your final font choice will be done during formatting. Some hire out for this, but it is also possible to do it yourself. I hired out the first time, but did it myself for this last book. If you want to do it yourself, I would recommend Affinity Publisher for paperback formatting (not recommended for ebook though as it can't export in epub format, for that Atticus is better suited and it is pre-programed with specially licensed fonts) if you want to avoid an Adobe subscription. One of the reasons I recommend it over just formatting in Word (which can be done) is that it allows you to convert a specialty font to curves (or rasterize it) which is something that Word cannot do (at least not last I knew anyway, it could only do embedding). Converting to curves does make the file larger, but generally speaking you wouldn't use a font that doesn't allow embedding as your main body font, but for smaller sections of text (chapter headers, etc.). I used a combination of Google Fonts and purchased fonts for my book so that I wouldn't have to convert everything.

If font licensing really worries you, I'd recommend sticking with Google Fonts for now. They are all free for any usage and allow embedding so are completely worry free. Be very, very careful with other 'free' font websites though. While some fonts on those sites are legitimate, many of these sites have a piracy problem. DAFont (or any of that guy's other font sites as he has multiple) is especially a website to absolutely avoid as many of them are stolen.

Last edited:
There are many fonts that allow commercial use, but do not allow embedding. In the case of those fonts, you either need to get a license type that allows embedding (which is hugely expensive by the way) or be able to rasterize the text or convert it to curves.
Just on this point, when setting up proof paperbacks on KDP I get a message that some fonts haven't embedded properly. These seem to be titles, so maybe the large font sizes is the issue here. However, they look absolutely fine on the paper copy.

Super helpful there @Laura R Hepworth (y)
Thanks

No problem! Font licensing was something I was very concerned over when I started doing freelance cover design so I've been doing my homework on it. Very happy to help.

Just on this point, when setting up proof paperbacks on KDP I get a message that some fonts haven't embedded properly. These seem to be titles, so maybe the large font sizes is the issue here. However, they look absolutely fine on the paper copy.

What program are you using for your formatting and which fonts gave the trouble? Maybe it's an issue with how they embedded. There are a few ways to do it. I didn't have any error messages when I did mine just a couple months ago, but I know of others that have and it was an issue of choosing the wrong embedding settings.

What program are you using for your formatting and which fonts gave the trouble? Maybe it's an issue with how they embedded. There are a few ways to do it. I didn't have any error messages when I did mine just a couple months ago, but I know of others that have and it was an issue of choosing the wrong embedding settings.
Ah, the one giving the problem was TNR, which I now find isn't free for commercial use. If I ever actually publish these books (rather than print off proof copies for my own use) I guess I'll have to change that one.

Ah, the one giving the problem was TNR, which I now find isn't free for commercial use. If I ever actually publish these books (rather than print off proof copies for my own use) I guess I'll have to change that one.
Ah, yeah that could be the problem right there. If you ever go to change that one, maybe look at Fanwood from Google Fonts. It's one I use a lot.