Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > David Eddings

David Eddings The Belgariad and beyond

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th February 2006, 02:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Source of power for the Cthrag Yaska

What is the source of power for the orb. I have read near all of Eddings books including 13 about the orb but can't remember how powerful the orb is. Unlike my brother, I read a book and after a few day can barely remember the major plot points. I read for the excitement. If anyone can help, without me going through the books page by page, it would be appreciated.
tiailds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2006, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Unreg. Mutant Moderator

Re: Source of power for the Cthrag Yaska

The orb is very powerful.
For example, it cracked the continents in two, which seperated the greater body of the Angaraks from the Western countries.

It is basically the physical embodiment of "Destiny" as such.
This is explained in greater detail in Eddings "Mallorean" series, but there are two conflicting destinies at large in the world, each in the form of an orb (you get to see the "bad" orb - Cthrag Sardius - at the end of the "Seeress of Kell"). The whole plot of the Mallorean series is because these two destinies have to confront each other and resolve it so that only one of them continues.
Winters_Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2006, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Have the two destinys confronted each other on other worlds. This seems familiar but I might have imagined it. If it is true, then would the orb be as powerful as all the world the destiny has either visited or won an encouter with.
Old 13th February 2006, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think somewhere in the books was stated that the two destinys put the Gods to create the world of Belgarion, so that the two could finish their battle there and confront each other through chosen ones. So, I think the destinys confronted each other only in the Garion-world. Other planets and worlds were mentioned in passing, and it was said that the choice made in the end of Malloreon would affect them all, but it was ony Korim where the choice was meant to happen.
Kynsilaukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2006, 02:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Scottish Roman

It is mentioned in the Belgariad that men who live on other worlds will never know about Belgarion's achievements, but will feel the outcome. Belgarath himself remarks that the world was made to give Garion somewhere to stand while he fixed the Universe. The necessity made the orb fall to Earth and Aldur polished and studied it. It showed its displeasure at being made to crack the world by maiming Torak and eventually killing him.
The Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Me I dont know but I look as the orb as a focus point. I mean the gods have the power to do anything but with the orb that power gets multiplied. Ul created the world and the gods BEFORE the cracking of the world and BEFORE Aldur found the orb so I think it was just fate that made the orb and sardion land on there wrld, if it was anyother world the necessities would have compencated and chose other ppl to stand in there place.
Abbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 03:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

If it is just a focus point for the universal destiny, and that destiny won the "game" or whatever, then will the destiny continue to power the orb? Does the orb have all the knowledge of the destiny?
Old 11th July 2007, 03:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Just like Belgarath Says " its just a rock and u a but am man" doesnt that mean it has no power of its own. Otherwise why would it even need the prophocies if it is "all powerfull"

I know Belgarath was refuring to the bolder in the vale but the same concept applies.
Old 11th July 2007, 06:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Does the orb use the "Will and the Word", or does it have it's own type of power.
Old 12th July 2007, 08:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

As far as i could tell, and what i gathered from the expositions of both the Orb and the Sardion is that they are fragments of the Star that died in the wrong place at the wrong time. They are two halves of the same stone regardless and lie at the very heart of the division. If the Orb/Sardion are pieces of a star (however improbable it is in reality for there to be shards of a star) its power would be monumental. As witnessed, capable of cracking the world... even Torak couldn't do it alone. My guesstimate of its power level would be that of one of the Gods. Perhaps more powerful than Ul, but not significantly so.
devilsgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 03:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

oh yeh but the power is too great that if the stones fought each other without "pawns" the power would be too great a confrontation that it would destroy everything. Raw powers a bitch.
Old 13th July 2007, 03:02 AM   #12 (permalink)

Im Wondering now if the Cthrag Sardion is the same age as the orb why is it Torak didnt think of using it? I mean if its been all over Malloria dont u think ppl would have mentioned it to the grolims in passing or rumors of it would have reached torak?
Old 13th July 2007, 09:24 AM   #13 (permalink)

the sardion had always been hidden. worshipped by primitive karands (well even more primitive karands) and kept hidden in a grotto.

As to their power... the sheer scale of the power of the gods alone was always such that none of them (even torak) would have confronted eachother directly. The Orb and the Sardion being even more powerful therefore would hvae had to resolve issues realting to their respective destinies through Chosen Ones...
devilsgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 12:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Auditor of Reality

The source of power for the Orb, is easy to understand. It is that rare substance called "Authorium", harnessing the natural power of the author to perform miraculous tasks.
white_wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 08:16 AM   #15 (permalink)

Lol i think using logic would help us more then making up words to help make sence. Lets try getting everyone to use the word Aurthorium to describe facts in books that cant really be described.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: