Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Books and Literature > Horror

Horror Discuss horror writers and their works

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 13th February 2008, 04:17 AM   #31 (permalink)

Re: Richard Matheson

His excellent retropsective that focuses on a lot of his writings and experiences over the past few decades is also fabulous if a little pricey unless you opt for the Trade Paperback edition, I've got the HB edn. It's called DreamSongs. I can highly recommend it!!

GRRM is a very great writer IMO, especially the way he writes in so many different Genres and well. Far more talented than Erikson in telling a story. I just happen to prefer Erikson's story but both are good.
GOLLUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 04:20 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLLUM View Post
His excellent retropsective that focuses on a lot of his writings and experiences over the past few decades is also fabulous if a little pricey unless you opt for the Trade Paperback edition, I've got the HB edn. It's called DreamSongs. I can highly recommend it!!

GRRM is a very great writer IMO, especially the way he writes in so many different Genres and well. Far more talented than Erikson in telling a story. I just happen to prefer Erikson's story but both are good.
I've never had the desire to read GRRM or Erikson. That kind of political/epic/high fantasy just isn't my thing. But yes, GRRM does write across many genres, and I'm sure one day our paths will cross.

When it comes to fantasy, I prefer stuff more like Elric, or Clive Barker, or urban-fantasy.
D_Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 04:20 AM   #33 (permalink)

No problem.

Gotta rush, see you later!!
Old 13th February 2008, 04:26 AM   #34 (permalink)

Just when I think my massive stacks of books couldn't get more massive, I log on here and add stuff to my wish list.

Thanks a lot!
Old 13th February 2008, 05:41 AM   #35 (permalink)
Heretic

Quote:
Matheson is a wonderful author!!

The only Vampire novel to possibly surpass it is Geroge RR Martin's classic Fevre Dream where Mark Twain meets Stephen King on the mighty Mississippi.
I wouldn't say surpasses IAL but definitely Fevre Dream is one of the great Vanmpire novels alongside Dracula and I Am Legend.
ravenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 10:18 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
I wouldn't say surpasses IAL but definitely Fevre Dream is one of the great Vanmpire novels alongside Dracula and I Am Legend.
Fair comment but for me it's probably my fav, Dracula comes next followed by IAL....
Old 13th February 2008, 10:48 PM   #37 (permalink)

Mine is, quite easily, Sturgeon's Some of Your Blood. It is just barely a vampire tale, but it possesses Sturgeon's unequaled ability to capture mankind's capacity and desire for love. It is brilliant in every way a book can be.
Old 13th February 2008, 11:53 PM   #38 (permalink)

Thanks for the heads up.

I'll check it out...

So you're definitely going to get Fevre Dream right?
Old 14th February 2008, 01:34 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up.

I'll check it out...

So you're definitely going to get Fevre Dream right?
It's on my wish list.

My review for Some of Your Blood can be read here:

http://www.genrebusters.com/print/review_someblood.htm

If you've never read Sturgeon before, you're in for a major treat. The dude was a master.
Old 14th February 2008, 02:57 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
If you've never read Sturgeon before, you're in for a major treat. The dude was a master.
Read very little but I knew he was good. I'll have to try some more of his soon.
Old 13th December 2008, 01:24 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. d. worthington View Post

Matheson also wrote a little book titled Bid Time Return, which he then turned into a screenplay for a little movie called Somewhere in Time (he even had a cameo in the film -- look for the tourist wearing the white panama). I always found that one an odd book in some ways; at times very lyrical, but unusually subdued for Matheson, at least until the turning point; then, as usual, he put his character through sheer, unmitigated hell, even if a much quieter, more personal sort than Scott Carey or Richard Neville.
Tell me Matheson himself changed the title to Somewhere in Time. Few days ago i was browsing the World Fantasy Award winners bookshelf wanting to buy some rated fantasy. I saw Somewhere in Time and planned to buy just because it was the only thing the bookstore had of Matheson until i saw they finally got a new version I Am Legend.

The story appealed to me. The timeless love thing.
Connavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 10:28 PM   #42 (permalink)

Yes, I have all World Fantasy award winners from 1975 (award began) to current in the novel category, scary but true as part of my obsession in collecting complete series of things. I've got a HB edition of Bid Time Returns but I haven't read it yet, Hell House comes first though...
Old 14th December 2008, 05:48 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connavar View Post
Tell me Matheson himself changed the title to Somewhere in Time....
I can't recall for certain, but I believe he chose that title when he wrote the screenplay....
j. d. worthington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2008, 11:34 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. d. worthington View Post
I can't recall for certain, but I believe he chose that title when he wrote the screenplay....
I think I can confirm that is correct.

Matheson also played a cameo in that particular film ala Hitchcock's predilection from a certain point in his directing career.
Old 14th December 2008, 06:12 PM   #45 (permalink)

Good to know. A better title but i dont like when a movie title changes the authors own choice for title because someone years later want to change it for a movie.

Since im reading I Am Legend and its the first i have tried Matheson i must say im hugely impressed by the book and the author. I thought it was a good classic but not a great book. It sounded too simple SF/horror with the hole last man in the world thing vs vampires. Thats what i have heard about the book.

You couldnt even imagaine it having the awesome feel of isolation,hopelessness,it being scary,tragic and also uplifting. I like very much when Neville shows emotions for his lost family. The hole dog thing was so sad and warm in the need for loving anything.

What makes it most impressive to me is the hole SF take on vampire theme. Neville tries to think scientificly on what happened. He think about alot else too, its even worth living alone.
Its not more simple horror "omg im the last man and the vamps want to eat me and i have to survive somehow for no reason".

Wierd the only time i have heard about the book was when i saw Matheson books in SFF masterworks series. Way before the movie of course. I didnt buy it because of some simple action sci fi of Will Smith.
Connavar is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: