Originally Posted by philoSCIFI
It's an interesting video by the way. Who did you work with for the production of it?
My husband and I produced it ourselves, philo. Our daughter Daisy is listed as Executive Producer because she did most of the scheduling and was invaluable in other ways as well. She also recruited Charles, who ended up bringing a lot of his equally talented friends into the project.
We were surprised to find so many wonderfully creative people who were willing to donate their services for the love of their art and a chance to do something different and fun. One of our actors (Mark) turned out to be a makeup artist who also did prosthetics. Another (Daniel) turned out to be a talented musician who composed an original score for us with a friend. (It's all electronic music, though it doesn't sound like it.) We ended up with five different performers who were accustomed to working with fire in their acts.
(You go for years and years without meeting a single fire-eater, and suddenly you know three, plus a young woman who does fire-poi and a guy who blithely tells you he can set his arm on fire if you'd like him to. Unfortunately, there were no instances of fire-eating in the book -- obviously a serious oversight on my part -- so we couldn't make use of that particular skill. The fireballs, however, were real.)
The money we spent went into costumes, props, editing software, a better video camera, and things like that. Also into feeding our volunteers on the set, that being the least we could do for them. Some of the costumes and props we already had or could borrow, but a lot had to be bought or made especially for the project.
My husband did the video-taping and we both did the editing and special effects. (He did the bulk of the special effects, though.) We used imovie and Stupendous. We made a lot of mistakes out of ignorance -- some we could fix, and some we couldn't, because we filmed outside and the light got worse and worse as winter advanced -- but we learned from every mistake. Lesson #1 being that the next time we try anything like that (supposing we ever do) we'll do all the taping in the late spring or the summer.
It took a little less than three months start to finish -- during a time of year when scheduling was particularly difficult. (We did have the advantage of being able to buy a few things at the Halloween stores, though.) Another thing we would do differently would be to spend more time on pre-production. Most of the costumes we made were finished only hours before we needed them, which is not the best way to work.