Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > Roger Zelazny

Roger Zelazny Discussion forum on the works and writings of Roger Zelazny, not least the Amber series, Changing Land, Madwand, and standalone works.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd October 2007, 04:00 AM   #31 (permalink)

Re: Amber?

Hi, guys!

Is this the one and only thread on Roger Zelazny, or did I miss the others?
Giovanna Clairval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 04:20 AM   #32 (permalink)
Prehistoric Irish Cynic

When I first started reading Zelazny in about 1970-71, I had just become employed with the state (California) department which had responsibility for adjudicating disability claims based on Social Security insured status. Imagine my surprise at the time to find that he worked in Baltimore for the Social Security Administration. His job? To review the decisions I made to be sure they were accurate. Talk about having mixed feelings.

Obviously he went on to make a real name for himself. I kept doing the same job and finally retired. But I managed to read a whole lot of SF in the intervening years, a lot of it Zelazny's.
clovis-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 09:34 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanna Clairval View Post
Hi, guys!

Is this the one and only thread on Roger Zelazny, or did I miss the others?
UM...if you do a search for Zelazny you should probably find some more. He's a major figure no doubt about it but doesn't have his own subforum.

I'm a big fan of Zelazny and have quite a lot of his work....
GOLLUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 12:24 PM   #34 (permalink)

Zelazny is the best!

I'm buying all the novels I haven't read (I posted the complete bibliography on another thread).
Giovanna Clairval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 12:14 PM   #36 (permalink)
Semper Triumphans

I liked the Merlin novels.

The author is playing around more freely
Flavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2008, 09:21 AM   #37 (permalink)
Coven of the Worm

That settles it. I could not possibly have read Prince of Chaos. I thought I read the last volume and was disappointed that it ended in a cliffhanger. That means I have more to look forward to! The Chronicles of Amber has always been one of the biggest influences in my writing. Zelazny was the greatest!
Michael01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 11:59 PM   #38 (permalink)
Northern Monkey

I have them all on my kindle - Chronicles of Amber that is so I am going to start working through them, not read any Zelazny before so hopefully I enjoy them
Tansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 09:03 PM   #39 (permalink)

Will someone please tell me that there's some possibility that Deirdre survived? Additionally, what exactly was Corwin's relationship with her?
drewfus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 03:19 AM   #40 (permalink)
The Fleet Footed

Spoilers

Deirdre almost certainly did not survive, however her death is never explicitly stated, so there's always that slight possibility if you want to cling to it. She never shows up again in the series except as a pattern ghost. Her relationship with Corwin is almost that of fraternal twins. They have the same mother (I'm not sure who's older) and have always been very close. Personality wise Deirdre is like a female Corwin, but not as battle-hardened since the princesses of Amber didn't seem to have the same constant feuding (even as children) as the princes. I believe her colors are also very similar if not exactly the same as Corwin's silver and black.
Heck Tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 11:35 AM   #41 (permalink)
Christopher Kovacs

Corwin and Deirdre shared an incestuous love that Oberon would not allow. Corwin refers to this several times throughout the novels. Zelazny also alluded to it by saying that the series has everything you'd expect from a dysfunctional family, including fratricide, incest...
ckovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 04:15 PM   #42 (permalink)

Since I don't recall Zelazny ever explaining where the abyss led, if anywhere, he always had the option of bringing her back. It was a world of magic - and magical possibilities - after all. So the reader can choose to believe that she survived in some way.

Corwin's feelings toward Deirdre, and vice versa, were fairly explicit. But I don't know if Zelazny intended to suggest that there was ever a physical relationship. But their feelings toward each other were obviously well-known within the family and disapproved of by Oberon.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 04:18 PM   #43 (permalink)
Christopher Kovacs

I agree, it's certainly left ambiguous as to whether or not their incestuous love was ever physically consummated.
ckovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 12:11 AM   #44 (permalink)
Elf in Space

The Chronicles of Amber is one of the high points of sci-fi/fantasy (so weird I'm not sure which to call it; probably more fantasy) and one of the must-reads. It's somehow gone from my collection, and I'm going to have to get it back.
nightdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 12:07 PM   #45 (permalink)

The first five books are super and lake total sense, the subsequent five are all over the place. My recommendation fir anyone that hasn't yet read the series would be to stop after The Courts of Chaos.
Lycanthrope is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: