Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Books and Literature > General Book Discussion

General Book Discussion General Science Fiction Fantasy books and literature discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 4.85 average.
Old 3rd November 2011, 03:59 AM   #6271 (permalink)

Re: Book Hauls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragon-16 View Post
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas
Magic at the Gate by Allie Beckstrom
Silent Sea and Polar Shift by Clive Cussler
Phantom Prospect and The Dragon's Mark by Alex Archer
The first three books in the Chicagoland Vampires books by Chloe Neill

I think you mean Magic at the Gate by Devon Monk. The book's heroine is Allie Beckstrom.
murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 04:22 AM   #6272 (permalink)
Scottish Roman

Oh dear, it's happened again !

I just obtained Bill Baldwin's, 'Helmsman,' series, well 6 of them, and I'm working my way through them, but having reached book 5 I'm ready to punch him.

Two quibbles;

1) So far, 'The Defenders,' is the Battle of France right up to Churchill's, 'Finest Hour,' speech. (Just as, 'The Trophy,' is an adaptation of the Schneider trophy down to the S.5, S.6 and S.6B winners, type 224 and F7/30 [F.7/30 was the specification for a new RAF fighter which led to the Gloster Gladiator, type 224 was the Supermarine contender which was named, 'Spitfire,' the name was recycled for the type 300 we all know and love)].

Brim's new ship is K5054, the serial given to the type 300 Spitfire prototype.

2) He calls them Carescians,but their dialect is another pathetic attempt by a stupid yank to phonetically reproduce a Scots accent.

If anyone knows Mr Baldwin, please pass on my comments. Thank You.
The Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 02:50 PM   #6273 (permalink)

A little Phillip K. Dick. I think I read these many years ago but the price was right so it is time for another trip with Dick

The Variable Man
Mr. Spaceship
Beyond Lies the Wub
The Defenders
Second Variety
The Crystal Crypt
Timba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 04:21 PM   #6274 (permalink)

Samlade Skrifter 1954-1996 by Tomas Tranströmer

A complete collection from those years of his poems.
Connavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 05:13 PM   #6275 (permalink)

Just ordered:

The Wild Ways by Tanya Huff
Magic on the Line (Allie Beckstrom Series #7) by Devon Monk
Better Off Undead: The Bloodhound Files by DD Barant
Echo (Alex Benedict Series #5) by Jack McDevitt
The Traitor's Daughter by Paula Brandon

And, just preordered:

Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: Fool Moon, Part 1, Vol. 1 (graphic novel for my grandson)
When the Saints by Dave Duncan
Scholar (Imager Portfolio Series #4) by L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Old 3rd November 2011, 06:33 PM   #6276 (permalink)
Chelsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy View Post
I think you mean Magic at the Gate by Devon Monk. The book's heroine is Allie Beckstrom.

Oops! I did mean Devon Monk...I wasn't near the book and that's the name that popped into my head
FireDragon-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 02:53 AM   #6277 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragon-16 View Post
Oops! I did mean Devon Monk...I wasn't near the book and that's the name that popped into my head
I have to have a list of the books in front of me or I would forget everything.
Old 4th November 2011, 05:35 PM   #6278 (permalink)
Chelsea

Usually I can remember everything, but I stumbled on this thread while I was at school and it's been a couple weeks since I actually bought them so I was trying to see it.
FireDragon-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 01:20 PM   #6279 (permalink)
Sophomoric Mystic

I just went on a massive Graham Greene binge in the last few days resulting in the aquisition of pretty much all of his novels minus Brighton Rock and a few of the lesser known ones.

Also finally decided to splash out on the Lord of the Rings which I last read in a school library at the age of ten.
nomadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 05:14 AM   #6280 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadman View Post
Also finally decided to splash out on the Lord of the Rings which I last read in a school library at the age of ten.
Serious?... To commemorate the creation of my Private Library I splurged on a beautiful leatherbound gold gilt 50th anniversary edition of LOTR. I would have read LOTR 4 or 5 times.

Quote:
I just went on a massive Graham Greene binge in the last few days resulting in the aquisition of pretty much all of his novels minus Brighton Rock and a few of the lesser known ones.
Graham Greene is certainly a noteworthy author. I don't class him in quite the same league as a Virginia Woolf or George Orwell but he's still excellent. I have a few of Greene's better known novels and a superb Penguin Black classic edition of his shorter fiction (Complete Short Stories), which you should try and acquire a copy of! Make sure you have copies of Our Man In Havana and Travels With My Aunt, they're classic in more than one sense... as well as The Power And The Glory & The Quiet American.

On a different topic but while I remember, for 'English' authors, if you have not already done so, I strongly recommend the complete short stories of Evelyn Waugh published recently by Penguin and Somerset Maugham - Short Stories, a single volume published by Vintage. Both are superb, albeit I've not read them in their entirety yet but certainly these along with Orwell and Woolf are in my top 10 UK writers of all time OH Yes..and some bloke called Dickens and another fellow Shakespeare weren't too bad a matinee double either..... Greene would be more on the fringes of my current top 10.
GOLLUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 01:21 PM   #6281 (permalink)
Sophomoric Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLLUM View Post
Serious?... To commemorate the creation of my Private Library I splurged on a beautiful leatherbound gold gilt 50th anniversary edition of LOTR. I would have read LOTR 4 or 5 times.
Yes. I didn't read it all in one sitting though. Think it was over a period of about a week or so during playtimes. I've reread the Hobbit quite a few times however, and am in fact planning to read it again next month (it's a very autumnal/wintry book I've found).

Quote:
Graham Greene is certainly a noteworthy author. I don't class him in quite the same league as a Virginia Woolf or George Orwell but he's still excellent. Make sure you have copies of Our Man In Havana and Travels With My Aunt, they're classic in more than one sense... as well as The Power And The Glory & The Quiet American.
I can't say how he compares to Woolf since I've never read her, and the Orwells I read were rather different types of novels to the sort that Greene writes. I've found Greene is generally thought of as a literate thriller writer in the vein of Buchan, Childers, et al though with a much darker, more morally conflicted tone. He's also sometimes mentioned alongside Le Carre and others, though he only really wrote one serious spy novel, albeit an excellent one in The Human Factor. He's a difficult writer to pin down though, which is the way I think he would have wanted it.

Quote:
I have a few of Greene's better known novels and a superb Penguin Black classic edition of his shorter fiction (Complete Short Stories), which you should try and acquire a copy of!
Already got it! Quite a varied bunch of pieces there, including a supernatural horror story set in a cinema which impressed me with its potency.

Quote:
On a different topic but while I remember, for 'English' authors, if you have not already done so, I strongly recommend the complete short stories of Evelyn Waugh published recently by Penguin and Somerset Maugham - Short Stories, a single volume published by Vintage. Both are superb, albeit I've not read them in their entirety yet but certainly these along with Orwell and Woolf are in my top 10 UK writers of all time OH Yes..and some bloke called Dickens and another fellow Shakespeare weren't too bad a matinee double either..... Greene would be more on the fringes of my current top 10.
Actually I picked up a copy of Maugham's The Painted Veil with the Greenes. I liked the film, and have an interest in colonial and post-colonial Asia so I thought that'd be a good place to start. Might pick up his collection Far Eastern Tales in the near future too.
nomadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 01:52 PM   #6282 (permalink)

Im also very interested in Post-colonial novels from Asia,Africa,Caribbean. But not from the people who colonised POV anymore. Im interested in Greene,Maugham for other reasons.

I ordered Crossing the Mangrove by Maryase Conde , Caribbean-French author. Because i wanted to read post-colonial novels.
Connavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 10:41 PM   #6283 (permalink)
Kraken Addict

On friday I picked up Into The Problem Pit by Frederik Pohl.
thatollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 11:17 AM   #6284 (permalink)

Quote:
I can't say how he compares to Woolf since I've never read her, and the Orwells I read were rather different types of novels to the sort that Greene writes. I've found Greene is generally thought of as a literate thriller writer in the vein of Buchan, Childers, et al though with a much darker, more morally conflicted tone. He's also sometimes mentioned alongside Le Carre and others, though he only really wrote one serious spy novel, albeit an excellent one in The Human Factor. He's a difficult writer to pin down though, which is the way I think he would have wanted it.
That's an interesting interpretation of Greene you provide there nomadman. I must admit that I've read little of Greene in recent times other than dipping into that short story collection which I maintain is very good. Certainly as you say his writing style and a number of characters that populate his novels are most definitely painted with a dark, morally conflicted tone. The 'Whiskey Priest' from The Power and the Glory is a case in point and one character I've never forgotten eventhough I read that novel over 25 years ago; a tribute in part perhaps to Greene's skill as a writer. Of course no fuller appreciation of Greene's ouevre, particularly his earlier work, can be achieved without first having an understanding of his particular viewpoint on Catholicism which is another subject of study in itself.

Somerset Maugham was a very fine writer indeed and I think you would be impressed with that short story collection by Vintage.

No disrespect intended but I was a little surprised to see you say that you had not read Virgina Woolf yet. I'm sure you will at some stage. She's one of the very best English writers of the 20th Century, I really believe that.

Last edited by GOLLUM; 7th November 2011 at 11:32 AM.
GOLLUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 11:03 AM   #6285 (permalink)

My latest haul includes:

"Solaris Rising", the new anthology of SF edited by Ian Whates, which I look forward to reading very much.

In addition, two more entries in the Fantasy Masterworks series in my attempt to crack on and finish the series:

"Was" by Geoff Ryman
"Voice of Our Shadow" by Jonathan Carroll
Fried Egg is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: