Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Books and Literature > General Book Discussion

General Book Discussion General Science Fiction Fantasy books and literature discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 4.85 average.
Old 18th November 2010, 12:17 AM   #5386 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

Re: Book Hauls!

Woo hoo!

You'd better enjoy them...
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 03:47 AM   #5387 (permalink)
Here kitty kitty kitty!

OMG! I just discovered the university library has an amazing collection of SF, mostly golden age stuff. Cul, why didn't you tell me? And you can borrow them for months.

So, I have borrowed:
The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K LeGuin
Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut
Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
Pebble in the Sky by Isaac Asimov
Martian Time Slip, The Unteleported Man, Dr Bloodmoney all by PKD
and What if our world is their heaven? The final conversations of Philip K Dick.

Woohoo!
gully_foyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 01:17 PM   #5388 (permalink)

OK, I recently purchased...

Man Without Qualities Vols I & II
(Vintage edn.) - Robert Musil. Along with Joyce's Ulysses and Proust's Remembrance of Things Past this work is seen as completing that triumvirate of great modernist novels of European literature. Actually it's an unfinished manuscript and a real magnum opus, with 1,000 plus pages of posthumous material by Musil preceding the publication of the "main story". To put it into context, Man Without Qualities is ranked alongside anything Kafka, Proust, Joyce or Svevo could produce and regarded by some critics as the greatest German work of the 20th Century. Thomas Mann considered Musil's work to be without peer amongst its contemporaries and many reviewers seem to regard it in greater esteem than Mann's Magic Mountain. Blurb: Set in Vienna on the eve of World War I, this great novel of ideas tells the story of Ulrich, ex-soldier and scientist, seducer and skeptic, who finds himself drafted into the grandiose plans for the 70th jubilee of the Emperor Franz Josef. This new translation--published in two elegant volumes--is the first to present Musil's complete text, including material that remained unpublished during his lifetime.
GOLLUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 01:26 PM   #5389 (permalink)
]==[]===O

Yay my first McAuley haul! From bookmooch:

Last edited by AE35Unit; 18th November 2010 at 01:37 PM.
AE35Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 04:59 PM   #5390 (permalink)
Kraken Addict

I'm back in the hauls thread, what a surprise?

Cujo - Stephen King
The Dark Half - Stephen King
Christine - Stephen King
Magician - Raymond E Fiest
Morningstar - David Gemmell
Peter Pan - J.M. Barrie
The Best Short Stories of Harry Harrison
Lion Time at Timbuktu - Robert Silverberg
Excession - Iain M. Banks
The Blade Itself - Joe Abercromie
Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
thatollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 09:22 PM   #5391 (permalink)

Came home from my first shift to find on the doorstep:

The Last Hieroglyph, vol. 5 of The Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith:

Night Shade Books: Smith, Clark Ashton - Collected Fantasies Vol 5 - The Last Hieroglyph

They were a while in finishing off the set, but I don't actually mind, as I have so many other irons in the fire, and it allowed them to improve with each volume. This is the final volume of the official set, though there is still a "bonus volume" which is supposed to be released at some point, Tales of India and Irony. This one, like the others, has some appendices (sorry, I cannot bring myself to use the form "appendixes", however correct it may be) covering variants, material removed from stories, etc.

Oh, and the Introduction in this case is by Richard Lupoff....
j. d. worthington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 09:27 PM   #5392 (permalink)
Kraken Addict

I am so jealous, I wish I had the Night Shade editions.
Old 20th November 2010, 02:06 AM   #5393 (permalink)
Knivesout no more

It's still possible! I've got the first two, I need to start getting hold of the rest before they become completely unobtainable.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 05:57 AM   #5394 (permalink)

JP's right; they can still be obtained, either through Amazon or through some of the specialty sff stores around; or you may find some second-hand copies floating around, if you are persistent in looking. Tales of India and Irony is, from what I understand, intended for those who subscribed for the set before it began publication, so I don't know how many, if any, copies of that one are going to be made generally available; but the fantasy volumes have been quite popular, and shown up in Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc.

As a side note, I was in something of the same position with their William Hope Hodgson set, which was already in the process of release when I became aware of it (the third volume had just come out). I hurriedly ordered the remainder of the set, and went scouting for the first two, which I luckily found quickly and at the original cost. The last volume of that one took quite a while to come out, as well but, for myself, it was well worth the wait....
Old 20th November 2010, 12:14 PM   #5395 (permalink)

Those CAS edns. are certainly a publishing highlight. Now, today I spotted....

Shadow of the Sun - A.S. Byatt *This is Byatt's debut novel and possibly completes my collection of this brilliant author's work. Blurb: The reputation of British novelist A. S. Byatt soared in this country after publication of Possession. Winner of England's 1990 Booker Prize, Possession was the critical and commercial success that called national attention to a writer of extraordinary gifts. Yet it was clear even upon publication of her first book, The Shadow of the Sun, that Byatt possessed unusual perception and promise. Her debut novel, said the Times Literary Supplement of London in 1964, "suggests that before long Mrs. Byatt may achieve a considerable reputation". The Shadow of the Sun is the story of sensitive seventeen-year old Anna Severell, who struggles to discover and develop her own personality in the shadow of her father, Henry Severell, a renowned British novelist. In the introduction to this edition A. S. Byatt looks back on the novel's genesis and on the problems she faced as a woman writing her first novel.
GOLLUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 03:38 PM   #5396 (permalink)
Lord Shaman.

The picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wild
The time machine - H.G. Wells
The works of Edgar Allan Poe
sloweye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 08:10 PM   #5397 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. d. worthington View Post
JP's right; they can still be obtained, either through Amazon or through some of the specialty sff stores around; or you may find some second-hand copies floating around, if you are persistent in looking. Tales of India and Irony is, from what I understand, intended for those who subscribed for the set before it began publication, so I don't know how many, if any, copies of that one are going to be made generally available; but the fantasy volumes have been quite popular, and shown up in Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc.

As a side note, I was in something of the same position with their William Hope Hodgson set, which was already in the process of release when I became aware of it (the third volume had just come out). I hurriedly ordered the remainder of the set, and went scouting for the first two, which I luckily found quickly and at the original cost. The last volume of that one took quite a while to come out, as well but, for myself, it was well worth the wait....
You know some other second hand online store than amazon,abe,barnesandnoble ? I saw best price at 50-44 for volume 1 of CAS nightshade books. I have to get while the other volumes are in print,easy to get.
Connavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 10:27 PM   #5398 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connavar View Post
You know some other second hand online store than amazon,abe,barnesandnoble ? I saw best price at 50-44 for volume 1 of CAS nightshade books. I have to get while the other volumes are in print,easy to get.
Nothing comes to mind at the moment, but you might simply check periodically with those. Now and again, someone will post something on these for a substantially lower price than any others, yet it will be in prime condition....

However, if I do run across something, I'll be sure to drop you a line....
Old 21st November 2010, 02:29 AM   #5399 (permalink)
Kraken Addict

I haven't got enough money for the Night Shade editions, which is why I'm collecting the Panther editions.
Old 21st November 2010, 12:51 PM   #5400 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. d. worthington View Post
Nothing comes to mind at the moment, but you might simply check periodically with those. Now and again, someone will post something on these for a substantially lower price than any others, yet it will be in prime condition....

However, if I do run across something, I'll be sure to drop you a line....
Yeah i check them pretty often i was hoping you guys in the other side of the atlantic had better sources when it comes second hand buys like that.

I cant afford to wait too long,the prices are getting only higher. Nightshade should reprint more often is what i selfishly think heh.
Connavar is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: