Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Books and Literature > General Book Discussion

General Book Discussion General Science Fiction Fantasy books and literature discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 4.85 average.
Old 20th July 2010, 03:41 AM   #5086 (permalink)

Re: Book Hauls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatollie View Post
I've got to disagree there. But hey, whatever floats your boat.
It would be initeresting to see what other folk think of these 2 authors.... given we have such wildly varying opinions on this one......
GOLLUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 03:43 AM   #5087 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. d. worthington View Post
I will definitely have to keep my eye out for this one, as I was mightily impressed with └ rebours and LÓ-Bas and would very much like to read something which was, in a sense, a predecessor or antecedent for them. (I also need to get the other two novels in that sequence, for the matter of that.) Thanks for bringing this one to my attention....
Weel I'm still in the process of sourcing the final book. Dedauls put out a nice edition of this 'series'....
Old 20th July 2010, 03:51 AM   #5088 (permalink)
Kraken Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLLUM View Post
It would be initeresting to see what other folk think of these 2 authors.... given we have such wildly varying opinions on this one......
Indeed, it would make a neat topic.
thatollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 01:45 PM   #5089 (permalink)
Easily amused

I'm reading The Soprano Sorceress by L.E. Modesitt jr. The premise of a modern day singer being pulled into a fantasy world is my favorite type of story. I'm enjoying it, but have to say that the lead character is very ho-hum about her journey. She's so blase (not sure how to put an acute accent on the 'E'), that it takes away from the immersion.
elvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 01:47 PM   #5090 (permalink)

Just pulled in:

"VALIS" by Philip K Dick
"The Parasite" by Ramsey Campbell
Fried Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:05 AM   #5091 (permalink)
Mumbling though life

Just delivered:

Nova War by Gary Gibson
Stealing List by Gary Gibson
Shadow and Betrayal by Daniel Abraham
Seasons of War by Daniel Abraham

I generally like to switch genres after a few books, should keep me going until next month...
Lord Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:20 AM   #5092 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Soth View Post
Just delivered:

Shadow and Betrayal by Daniel Abraham
Seasons of War by Daniel Abraham

I generally like to switch genres after a few books, should keep me going until next month...
Nice one. I believe the Abrahams quartet is supposed to be excellent. I have the first 2 books in an omnibus edn. and been waiting for the final 2 to be released in Pb here as a second duology.
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:41 AM   #5093 (permalink)
Sophomoric Mystic

Picked up the latest Harold Lamb collections from Bison Press: Swords From the West, Swords From the East, Swords From the Desert and Swords From the Sea. Lamb was one of the best historical adventure fiction writers ever, and I feel tremendously priviliged that his work is now so easily available after languishing for over half a century in obscurity.

Pikced up also:

A Case of Conscience by James Blish
Aegypt by John Crowley
Shadows of Fear edited by David G Hartwell
The Tain
Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me by Richard Farina (big influence on the beat movement.
nomadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:11 PM   #5094 (permalink)
]==[]===O ░

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadman View Post
Picked up the latest Harold Lamb collections from Bison Press: Swords From the West, Swords From the East, Swords From the Desert and Swords From the Sea. Lamb was one of the best historical adventure fiction writers ever, and I feel tremendously priviliged that his work is now so easily available after languishing for over half a century in obscurity.

Pikced up also:

A Case of Conscience by James Blish
Best of luck with that one!
AE35Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:22 PM   #5095 (permalink)
Easily amused

Ok, so I needed The Devil in Green by Mark Chadbourn, and finally found it on Amazon.ca. I couldn't just buy one book, so I also got:
Iain M. Banks Use of Weapons and Player of Games
Paul Kearney Omnibus Hawkwood and the Kings
Harry Turtledove Vidressos quadrology
Michelle West's Cast in Chaos
Ian Gibson's Stuff of Legends
Leaona Wisoker's Secrets of the Sands
and....
preorderd The Blade Itself (limited edition) from Subterranean Press. This is my first purchase of this type. A little extravegant, but I love the book. I kicked myself for not gettting Gardens of the Moon.
elvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2010, 12:12 PM   #5096 (permalink)

Today....

The Death of Virgil - Hermann Broch *Generally regarded to be Broch's best work and something of a problematic masterpiece of European literature. I confess that I had not heard of this 19th and early 20rh Century Viennese author before but he appears to have been greatly admired by authors of the ilk of Thomas Mann and was contemporary of Rilke, Musil et al Best known of the author's works, the novel imaginatively recreates the last 18 hours of the poet Virgil's life as he is brought to Brundisium. Broch, an Austrian Jewish refugee from Hitler's Europe, concerns himself here and in his other works with the place of literature in a culture in crisis. Written in rich poetic language and rhythmic sentences, the novel has four "symphonic" movements.

Celestina - Fernando De Rojas *Viewed as the first European novel, this Spanish tragicomedy revolving around the bawdy exploits of matchmaker Celestina in a world filled with prostitutes and black magic that became Spain's first bestseller, paved the way for the picaresque novel and Cervantes Don Quixote. This new translation is available in the Penguin Black Classics range.

Poems of the Night - Jorge Louis Borges *Whilst Borges is rightly admired for his magnificent works of fiction, Borges viewed himself first and foremost as a poet. Featured here are more than 60 of his best known poems in this new Penguin Black Classics release.
Old 25th July 2010, 10:55 AM   #5097 (permalink)
Sophomoric Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLLUM View Post
Poems of the Night - Jorge Louis Borges *Whilst Borges is rightly admired for his magnificent works of fiction, Borges viewed himself first and foremost as a poet. Featured here are more than 60 of his best known poems in this new Penguin Black Classics release.
Nice. Make sure you pick up the companion volume, Sonnets.
nomadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 03:50 PM   #5098 (permalink)
Transmural Feline

Yesterday I went to town and bought some old SF.

RAH: The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Between Planets and Farmer in the Sky.
Herbert: Dune
manephelien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 07:26 PM   #5099 (permalink)
Heretic

From the a local bookstore:

Fritz Lieber - First Book of Lankhmar
Ken Grimwood - Replay
GK Chesterton - The Complete Father Brown
Truman Capote - In Cold Blood
Jorge Luis Borges - Collected Fictions
Stephen King, George Martin Dan Simmons (Anthology) - Dark Visions
Bana - Kadambari
ravenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 08:44 PM   #5100 (permalink)
I lie. A lot. Honest!

Location: [I am a spambot, selecting the default option - ban me!]

Added a few more to my "To Be Read" pile. All are ebooks, as I've recently got a Barnes & Noble nook. Very good e-reader, by the way.

- Swords & Dark Magic: The New Sword and Sorcery, edited by Jonathan Strahan and Lou Anders - an anthology of Fantasy shorts, featuring a pretty strong lineup of authors. Glen Cook, Scott Lynch, Greg Keyes, Michael Moorcock and Joe Abercrombie, among others.

- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson - not Fantasy, I know. The first in the Millenium trilogy.

- The Sword/Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks - the first two books of Brooks's original trilogy.

- The Second Coming by David H. Burton - not a famous author, but saw the book on Smashwords and seemed interesting.

Also got a couple of freebies from Smashwords, but can't really remember the names, to be honest...
Devil's Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: