Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Books and Literature > General Book Discussion

General Book Discussion General Science Fiction Fantasy books and literature discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 4.85 average.
Old 12th July 2010, 11:59 AM   #5071 (permalink)

Re: Book Hauls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadman View Post
Penguin have recently published a series of previously untranslated poems and essays which you might be interested in pursuing:

On Writing
On Argentina
On Mysticism
Sonnets
Poems of the Night
Thank you. Much appreciated....
GOLLUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 10:44 AM   #5072 (permalink)
]==[]===O °

Alastair Reynolds, House of Suns,free from Waterstones
AE35Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 10:57 AM   #5073 (permalink)
Bearly Believable

Congratulations!

(Not entirely free: you had to buy the magazine, whose content may or may not be worth the cover price. But at least you were one of the lucky 4000.)
Ursa major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 12:21 PM   #5074 (permalink)
]==[]===O °

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa major View Post
Congratulations!

(Not entirely free: you had to buy the magazine, whose content may or may not be worth the cover price. But at least you were one of the lucky 4000.)
Hmm yea thats the only bugbear-so far I've not been impressed with SFX,too much X and not enough SF, BUT this issue is 2 mags in one-you get a copy of Total Film with it,which is bigger than SFX,so a tenner's worth of mags for a fiver AND a Al Reynolds book-cant be bad!
AE35Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 09:06 PM   #5075 (permalink)
the dude abides

Bought two books on vacation thus far:

Best Served Cold- Joe Abercrombie
Over the Edge of the World: Magellan's Terrifying Circumnavigation of the Globe- Laurence Bergreen
soulsinging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 01:12 PM   #5076 (permalink)

Today with my VIP book voucher I got....

Macquarie Pen Anthology of Australian Literature Ed. N. Jose *A 200 plus year retrospective of Australian literature since European settlement featuring over 500 works from 300 authors, this is easily the most comprehensive project ever undertaken to cover the Australian literary canon and unsurprisingly was the publishing event of last year. I also have the accompanying anthology on Aboriginal Literature. Superb stuff!
Parisian Sketches - J.K. Huysmans *Dedalus European Classics. Seen as the prequel to Huysman's best known decadent classic Against Nature and the following 3 novels that make up that highly acclaimed quartet of novels. First published in 1880, Parisian Sketches shares the Impressionist fascination with the contemporary life of Paris, an exuberant Paris in the era of the Opra Garnier and the Folies-Bergeres. Like the striking images of the early Impressionists, whom Huysmans championed when it was unfashionable, Parisian Sketches is an assault on the visual senses. Composed of a series of intense, meticulously observed literary impressions of cafe concerts and circus performers, of streetwalkers and hot-chestnut sellers, of run-down slums and forgotten quarters in the grimy, shiny ‘City of Light’ from one of the masters of 19th Century French prose.
Antwerp - Roberto Bolano *Continuing my collection of the Bolano oeuvre, Antwerp was Bolano's first novel and very much a case of an author finding his feet. Written in 1980, but first published in 2002, shortly before his death, Antwerp is a compact and very short, fragmentary work in fifty-six pieces. His first novel, it is a very loose piece of fiction, with barely a story to it -- though characters and storylines do recur throughout the text. It has the feel of literary experimentation, full of stops and starts in a quick series of sketches, with bursts of risk-taking that are (just) held in check.
Old 17th July 2010, 02:41 PM   #5077 (permalink)

Template - A Novel of the Archonate by Matthew Hughes - a fellow Vancean i have heard good things about.
Lion of Cairo by Scott Oden
The Neon Rain by James Lee Burke

The first two books are preorders for new realeses that comes at the end of this month.

Lion of Cairo is the first new hardcover i bought in 2 years. 26 dollars for a new book seems like too much for a paperback reader.
Connavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 02:59 PM   #5078 (permalink)
Left-minded

Just picked up Ken MacLeod's latest, The Restoration Game. Waterstone's also had Charles Stross's The Atrocity Archives half price, so thought I'd give it a whirl.
Tillane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 03:12 PM   #5079 (permalink)
Lady of Autumn

Had the good luck to find a copy (albeit a slightly scruffy one- 2nd hand from a charity shop) of Mark Chadbourn's Age of Misrule trilogy, compiled into one volume.
Talysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 04:03 PM   #5080 (permalink)

The Five Gold Bands - Jack Vance
Outlaw Josey Wales - Forrest Carter

I didnt need more new books but this was a second haul of books i had to get.
Connavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 04:27 PM   #5081 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLLUM View Post
Parisian Sketches - J.K. Huysmans *Dedalus European Classics. Seen as the prequel to Huysman's best known decadent classic Against Nature and the following 3 novels that make up that highly acclaimed quartet of novels. First published in 1880, Parisian Sketches shares the Impressionist fascination with the contemporary life of Paris, an exuberant Paris in the era of the Opra Garnier and the Folies-Bergeres. Like the striking images of the early Impressionists, whom Huysmans championed when it was unfashionable, Parisian Sketches is an assault on the visual senses. Composed of a series of intense, meticulously observed literary impressions of cafe concerts and circus performers, of streetwalkers and hot-chestnut sellers, of run-down slums and forgotten quarters in the grimy, shiny ‘City of Light’ from one of the masters of 19th Century French prose.
I will definitely have to keep my eye out for this one, as I was mightily impressed with À rebours and Là-Bas and would very much like to read something which was, in a sense, a predecessor or antecedent for them. (I also need to get the other two novels in that sequence, for the matter of that.) Thanks for bringing this one to my attention....
j. d. worthington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 05:20 PM   #5082 (permalink)
Heretic

Will be able to actually get my paws on these only in September but have asked for:
Dashiell Hammett - The Maltese Falcon, The Thin Man, Red Harvest (Everyman's Library) [Hardcover]
Raymond Chandler - The Big Sleep; Farewell, My Lovely; The High Window (Everyman's Library) [Hardcover]

Good old-skool manly fun promised
ravenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 11:58 PM   #5083 (permalink)
Kraken Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
Will be able to actually get my paws on these only in September but have asked for:
Dashiell Hammett - The Maltese Falcon, The Thin Man, Red Harvest (Everyman's Library) [Hardcover]
Raymond Chandler - The Big Sleep; Farewell, My Lovely; The High Window (Everyman's Library) [Hardcover]

Good old-skool manly fun promised
I love it.
thatollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 03:30 AM   #5084 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatollie View Post
I love it.
Indeed...but where as I view Hammett as being more than good, for me Chandler is in another class again.
Old 20th July 2010, 03:38 AM   #5085 (permalink)
Kraken Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLLUM View Post
Indeed...but where as I view Hammett as being more than good, for me Chandler is in another class again.
I've got to disagree there. But hey, whatever floats your boat.
thatollie is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: