Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Books and Literature > General Book Discussion

General Book Discussion General Science Fiction Fantasy books and literature discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 4.85 average.
Old 16th April 2010, 11:32 PM   #4801 (permalink)
dark and stormy knight

Re: Book Hauls!

THE BEST AMERICAN MYSTERY STORIES OF THE CENTURY edited by Tony Hillerman. Except for a slightly flawed dust jacket this mammoth hard back (originally priced at $28.00 but $2.99 at Goodwill) is in mint condition.

THE DESERT CRUCIBLE by Zane Grey. "The uncut sequel to RIDERS OF THE PURPLE SAGE!" Finally found it.

THE WESTERNERS by Zane Grey. "Previously uncollected stories, in paperback for the first time."

THE TROUBLE WITH ALIENS (stories by Christopher Anvil) edited and compiled by Eric Flint.

BUFFALO WAGONS by Elmer Kelton.
dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 03:45 AM   #4802 (permalink)
Where matter vanishes...

Quote:
A modest haul:
  • Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny, a single volume collecting the first five novels of the series (which are sometime called the Corwin cycle, apparently).
Ah Ursa, if this isn't merely a replacement for worn copy and you're reading it for the first time, I envy you! Should that be the case, enjoy!
Grimward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 06:32 AM   #4803 (permalink)
Can I be a cactus?

Well, I just tonight managed to get a true hold of the books TE sent up to me-she sent them days ago but I wasn't able to get to Portland, so they were finally brought down.

I'm going to take a look at The Hidden Stars tonight if I can.
Karn Maeshalanadae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 11:09 AM   #4804 (permalink)
]==[]===O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa major View Post
A modest haul:
  • Zima Blue by Alastair Reynolds, a collection of short stories. (They have omitted and Other Stories from the title of this, paperback, edition.
Ilve read one story from that collection, 'Monkey Suit' as seen in Deathray magazine before it folded-very good it was too!
AE35Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 12:56 PM   #4805 (permalink)

A tricksy second-hand haul today...

Anecdotes of Destiny - Isak Dinesen (Karen Blixen) *From the author of Out Of Africa comes a collection of highly regarded magical tales incl. the classic Babette's Feast.
Moravagine - Blaise Cendars *NYRB Classic. The underground classic, at once appalling and appallingly funny, comparable to Naked Lunch. Heir to an immense fortune, Moravagine is a monster, a man in pursuit of a theorem that will justify his every desire. Released from a criminal asylum by his admiring psychiatrist, Moravagine travels the world engaged in schemes acting as bomb maker, businessman, gold prospector, and pilot.
Wieland & Memoirs of Carwin the Biloquist - Charles B. Brown *Oxford World Classic edn. of this classic early American Gothic novel and unfinished sequel that presumably influenced writers including Poe, Shelley, Melville, Hawthorne and Irving.
Hadrian The Seventh - F.R. Rolfe *NYRB Classic edn. of what some may view as an eccentrically bizarre classic, this early 1900s novel is in turns comical and moving, detailing the tale of a hack writer and priest who suddenly discovers he has been picked to be Pope.
House of the Sleeping Beauties and Other Stories - Yasunari Kawabata *From Japan's Nobel laureate and creator of such novels as Snow Country, Sound of the Mountain and Master Of Go comes this highly regarded novella and associated stories exploring the interplay between erotic fantasy and reality in a loner's mind; described by Yuiko Mushima as an esoteric masterpiece.
GOLLUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 01:15 PM   #4806 (permalink)

Walked out of the bookstore a couple of days ago with 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: A trilogy of four' by Douglas Adams, and with 'Fragile things', by Neil Gaiman. I'm really looking forward to both of them.
CyBeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 12:12 PM   #4807 (permalink)

Yeh! Courtesy of Nesa, I've just received in today's post 2 lovely truly brick-sized Volumes collecting a vast chunk of Ray Bradbury's short fiction as selected by the Author himself. Superb....

Stories Volume 1 - Ray Bradbury
Stories Volume 2 - Ray Bradbury

Starts the hot water taps on the Jacuzzi in preparation for a particularly long soaking. Eating chocolate cake and reading Bradbury in a bubble bath with Mahler and Sibelius playing in the background...Heaven!....
Old 20th April 2010, 01:43 PM   #4808 (permalink)
]==[]===O

Just picked up Bram Stoker's Dracula from the charity shop,in Wordsworth Classics for 99p. A book I've never read but always been curious about.
Old 20th April 2010, 01:58 PM   #4809 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLLUM View Post
Yeh! Courtesy of Nesa, I've just received in today's post 2 lovely truly brick-sized Volumes collecting a vast chunk of Ray Bradbury's short fiction as selected by the Author himself. Superb....

Stories Volume 1 - Ray Bradbury
Stories Volume 2 - Ray Bradbury

Starts the hot water taps on the Jacuzzi in preparation for a particularly long soaking. Eating chocolate cake and reading Bradbury in a bubble bath with Mahler and Sibelius playing in the background...Heaven!....
I've red volume 2 and it's a great set of stories. Really shows Bradbury's diversity as a writer. I really like the story "Frost and Fire".
Quote:
Originally Posted by AE35Unit
Just picked up Bram Stoker's Dracula from the charity shop,in Wordsworth Classics for 99p. A book I've never read but always been curious about.
You can't go wrong fir 99p.
Fried Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 02:01 PM   #4810 (permalink)
Knivesout no more

Quote:
A tricksy second-hand haul today...

Wieland & Memoirs of Carwin the Biloquist - Charles B. Brown *Oxford World Classic edn. of this classic early American Gothic novel and unfinished sequel that presumably influenced writers including Poe, Shelley, Melville, Hawthorne and Irving.
Oh, I see you found a copy of this one. A technically flawed but conceptually very interesting work, I look forward to your views on this one as well as the Rolfe and the Cendrars.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 02:03 PM   #4811 (permalink)
Knivesout no more

Quote:
You sound like my cat, Chrysoberyl!
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 02:25 PM   #4812 (permalink)
]==[]===O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fried Egg View Post
You can't go wrong fir 99p.
Oh absolutely! And if I don't like it its no great loss if I list it on Bookmooch!
Old 20th April 2010, 03:41 PM   #4813 (permalink)

Quote:
uh...you mean, with Mahler and Sibelius playing together?
Allegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 04:57 PM   #4814 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayaprakash Satyamurthy View Post
You sound like my cat, Chrysoberyl!
What makes you think I'm not, being a lover of classical music incl. Sibelius?......

When I get a chance to read this stuff I'll post my thoughts here on Rolfe, Brown and Cendars. The book by Rolfe I would not normally have picked up but as you had mentioned the book to me and it was at the bookmarket in mint condition for 1/3 the retail price and being an NYRB classic, that was enough to help decide the case in the affirmative. The OUP edn. of Wieland and its unfinished sequel also sprang out of a discussion we had if memory serves. I absolutely didn't expect to ever see it in a second hand shop here but blind chance crossed my path that evening and hey presto!

@FE: Indeed, I'm a keen fan of Bradbury's fiction and especially enjoyed reading Franeheit451 and the Masterwork edn. of Something Wicked This Way Comes in addition to some of his better known shorter works

For Allegra's benefit sternly instructs Mahler and Sibelius to cease playing with the water canon in the background....
Old 20th April 2010, 11:26 PM   #4815 (permalink)
Northern Monkey

Just bought American Gods by Neil Gaiman and King Rat by China Mieville
Tansy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: