Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Books and Literature > General Book Discussion

General Book Discussion General Science Fiction Fantasy books and literature discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 4.85 average.
Old 12th April 2010, 04:56 AM   #4786 (permalink)
Stronger than steel...

Re: Book Hauls!

Sadly, due to abysmal finances, the last book that i bought was a pre-order on George R R Martin's next SoIaF publication... That was almost two years ago now...

Currently the most recent books that i have borrowed are Colleen McCullough's masters of Rome series - absolutely loving reading through them again. I kind of like the whole second hand/library book thing... there's something very satisfying in seeing that a good book has been well read, but cared for.
Blue Mythril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 05:28 AM   #4787 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa Edgerton View Post
Received in the mail this week :

City of Dreams and Nightmare, by our own Ian Whates (with a blurb by Tanith Lee. I am sooo jealous.)
I saw this in the SFF bookshops here just last week. I shall read your review/comments regarding Ian's book with great interest. Not only a praise worthy comment from Tanith but a beautiful cover too boot by as I recall one of our talented Australian artists!
GOLLUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 10:35 AM   #4788 (permalink)
Purr-fectly crazy

Received a text message this morning - my online order can be collected from the Post Office tomorrow!

The Good, The Bad and The Uncanny: Book 10 of the Nightside series - Simon R Green
Just Another Judgement Day: Book 11 of the Nightside series - Simon R Green
Death Masks: Book 5 of the Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
Blood Rites: Book 6 of the Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
Daisy-Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 04:15 AM   #4789 (permalink)
FrogSqrl

Just picked up a copy of Skylark of Space by E.E. Doc Smith. First edition, only 500 copies printed, Buffalo Books 1947. Very good with Very Good dust jacket. I've been looking for this book for almost 15 years and I'm beyond happy to finally own it.
I'll make it my Avatar once it arrives in the mail
K. Riehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 02:39 PM   #4790 (permalink)
|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

Just picked up a few.

Dan Abnett's "the Lost". The latest Gaunts Ghosts omnibus. This is great news as i've been waiting for ages for this one. (Contains the stories His Last Command, The Armour of cContempt and Only in Death.)

James Luceno's "Millennium Falcon" Paperback. I doubt very much if i'll read this as it does look a little too twee for my liking. I got it for my Star Wars collection.

Kevin J. Anderson's "Paul of Dune". I know that a lot of people slate his work and i understand completely why. But i've read all the other Dune books and to be honest, quite enjoyed them. They're not great SF, but they're entertaining enough. (I like to watch the things like Horizon for the science, but that doesn't mean that i can't laugh at Pinky and the Brain.)

I also picked up something called "Seeds of Earth" by Michael Cobley. I've not seen anything about this author, but this looks pretty interesting.
Rodders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 02:50 PM   #4791 (permalink)
Purr-fectly crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
(I like to watch the things like Horizon for the science, but that doesn't mean that i can't laugh at Pinky and the Brain.)
But...but...Pinky and the Brain is cutting edge science!
Daisy-Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 03:51 PM   #4792 (permalink)
Lady of Autumn

I was looking for a replacement copy of Anne McCaffrey's The Crystal Singer, as mine was getting a little ragged, and I found one this morning. I was surprised to find that it was a UK first edition, though!
Talysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 05:46 PM   #4793 (permalink)
Bearly Believable

A modest haul:
  • Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny, a single volume collecting the first five novels of the series (which are sometime called the Corwin cycle, apparently).
  • Zima Blue by Alastair Reynolds, a collection of short stories. (They have omitted and Other Stories from the title of this, paperback, edition.
  • House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds.
Ursa major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 09:51 PM   #4794 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesacat View Post
where did you manage to get your paws on Kai Lung? They are so very hard to find and the ones I have are all pretty battered and come from second hand shops.
The first three "Kai Lung" books are fairly easy to get hold of through Abebooks. (360 results for Wallet, 402 for Golden Hours, 164 for Unrolls). "The Moon of Much Gladness", aka "The Return of Kai Lung" is rare - only about 35 copies on Abebooks, and they start at over 30. "Kai Lung Beneath the Mulberry Tree" is rarer still - only 9 currently, although starting at 18.

The first two are also available widely in ebook form, since they're out of copyright in the US (although not in the UK until 1st January 2013), and so have been digitised as part of Project Gutenberg.

And then there's "Kai Lung: Six". Only two, at over 60 on Abebooks. And I'm surprised there are that many - only 250 were printed. (I have #160!)

And now I must blow my own trumpet a bit. There's now a seventh Kai Lung book published, incorporating the six stories from "Kai Lung: Six", the one Kai Lung story from "The Specimen Case", and four previously unpublished Kai Lung stories written between 1900 and 1904!

And that's "Kai Lung Raises His Voice". Which should be easily available at the usual on-line book stores. Currently in paperback and ebook, a hardback version should join them soon, once I've approved the proof.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 10:00 PM   #4795 (permalink)

I haven't been buying many paperbooks recently (I've gone over to ebooks), but I did recently get a splendid book:

A hardback edition of Noel Langley's marvelous "The Land of Green Ginger".

This is an edition by Kestrel Books produced in (I think) 1977 or 1978. It has a lovely dustwrapper with three Edward Ardizzone illustrations on it, and all the B&W Ardizzone illustrations in the interior.

It is the 1966 text - with twelve and a half chapters, not the horribly cut down text that's been used since about 1978.

And I am very pleased with it.

"May fortune preserve you, Gentle Reader. May your days be filled with constant joys, and may my story please you, for it has no other purpose."
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 02:56 AM   #4796 (permalink)
Knivesout no more

Selected Poems: Jorge Luis Borges
Selected Poems: Fernando Pessoa
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 03:00 PM   #4797 (permalink)
]==[]===O

Got a copy of Bob Shaw's Dagger of the Mind from book mooch today, SFBC edition hardback-my third Shaw novel! (thanks again J Purdie!)

AE35Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 01:58 AM   #4798 (permalink)

Just received:

Shogun by James Clavell (a present for my granddaughter)
The Edge of Ruin by Melinda Snodgrass (sequel to The Edge of Reason)
Watcher of the Dead by J. V. Jones (book 4 in the Sword of Shadows series)
murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 11:41 AM   #4799 (permalink)

Today a modest but interesting haul...

Fateless- Imre Kertesz *Kertesz was Hungary's winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature and this his debut novel back in 1975. This novel has been described as being remarkable, original, extraordinary etc.. from the critics so I'm interested to read it myself. Basically follows the trials and tribulations of a 14 yr. old Hungarian Jew who ends up in Auschwitz. Ostracized from the other Jewish inmates, the central character dogmatically insists upon making sense of everything he witnesses.

Girl In A Turban - Marta Morazzoni *A critically acclaimed collection of short stories from one of Italy's leading contemporary novelists . Each story hangs or is built around a single event, emotion or reaction and the stories themselves span centuries and occur in varying locations. This is a Harvill Classics edn.
GOLLUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 02:36 PM   #4800 (permalink)
]==[]===O

Just received Titanicus a Warhammer book by Dan Abnett, courtesy of Rodders.
Never read a Warhammer book, always thought they were YA.
AE35Unit is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: