Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Books and Literature > General Book Discussion

General Book Discussion General Science Fiction Fantasy books and literature discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 4.85 average.
Old 11th December 2009, 11:04 AM   #4231 (permalink)

Re: Book Hauls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knivesout View Post
Midnight Call And Other Stories by Jonathan Thomas
The End Of The Story: The Collected Fantasies Of Clark Ashton Smith( Volume 1 ) by Clark Ashton Smith
Must. Stop. Now.
I like the sound of that haul...
Fried Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 11:26 AM   #4232 (permalink)
Knivesout no more

I've been wanting to commence collecting that CAS set for a while now. I realised I had a 20% discount coupon from a new online bookstore and figured it was time to take the plunge at last.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 11:32 AM   #4233 (permalink)

I'm trying to collect CAS a different way, as they were published in the Arkham House collections. I have "Out of Space and Time" and "Lost Worlds". Next up I'm looking to get "Genius Loci and Other Tales".
Old 11th December 2009, 11:46 AM   #4234 (permalink)
Knivesout no more

As far as I know, those are out of print. It's harder for me to get OOP stuff that was never made available in India in the first place, so I generally stick to whatever is in print and can be easily ordered online at a reasonable price , for things that are not distributed here (most small press publications).
Old 11th December 2009, 11:52 AM   #4235 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knivesout View Post
As far as I know, those are out of print. It's harder for me to get OOP stuff that was never made available in India in the first place, so I generally stick to whatever is in print and can be easily ordered online at a reasonable price , for things that are not distributed here (most small press publications).
The first two are currently back in print (part of the Bison Frontiers of Imagination series) but the Panther reprints from the 70's are not too difficult to find over here...although I keep hoping that Bison are going to bring the rest back into print.
Old 11th December 2009, 03:55 PM   #4236 (permalink)

The main problem with those editions of CAS is that, like Lovecraft, they are often edited or altered, sometimes quite drastically. The Night Shade edition, on the other hand, correlates Smith's original papers (except where such do not exist) and those which Smith himself either oversaw or commented on, to reproduce the text as he himself wished it to be. At times, this is a minor thing; at others, it completely changes the story.

JP -- are you going to try to get the entire set, including the "bonus volume", Tales of India and Irony?
j. d. worthington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 04:04 PM   #4237 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. d. worthington View Post
The main problem with those editions of CAS is that, like Lovecraft, they are often edited or altered, sometimes quite drastically. The Night Shade edition, on the other hand, correlates Smith's original papers (except where such do not exist) and those which Smith himself either oversaw or commented on, to reproduce the text as he himself wished it to be. At times, this is a minor thing; at others, it completely changes the story.
I'm sure your right J.D. but I had collected "Out of Space and Time" and "Lost Worlds" before I even knew which way I was going to do it (before the Night Shade releases too). So I feel like I might as well continue with this series, not to mention the prices of the Night Shade editions are quite prohibitive. For instance, volume 2 of this series is on Amazon (UK) at 26.99. On the other hand, I can pick up "Genius Loci and other tales" second hand on Abe books for 1.44 (excl. P&P).

Mind you, since I love CAS so much, I might well one day go back and collect the definitive editions...
Old 11th December 2009, 09:17 PM   #4238 (permalink)

I can certainly see the attraction; and I used to have the Arkham editions of Out of Space and Time, Lost Worlds, Genius Loci, The Abominations of Yondo, and his Collected Poems and Poems in Prose. (I still have The Black Book of Clark Ashton Smith, but the others, sadly, had to be sold some years ago; I also still have the Panther editon of Tales of Science and Sorcery....) Even in reprint form, there is something to be said for them. I just thought I'd bring in the bit about the faulty texts for anyone interested....

(Wish I had the Selected Poems still, despite owning the three-volume Night Shade set of his complete poetry; It was an elegant little volume, in its way, and I quite like the "introduction" by Benjamin DeCasseres, and the "Preface" to Ebony and Crystal, by George Sterling....)
Old 12th December 2009, 12:03 AM   #4239 (permalink)
Beam Me Up Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE35Unit View Post
Wow nice haul there Diggler!
Thanks mate.

Also ordered Davy by Edgar Bangbourne

I just forgot to mention it.
Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 01:38 AM   #4240 (permalink)
Knivesout no more

Mr. Worthington (I feel formal today): I thought Tales of India and Irony was only available to subscribers to the Night Shade editions, and I haven't found it on sale elsewhere (conceivably someone is hawking it on eBay). I would of course like to read it. Heck, should I ever have a short story collection published I'd like it to bear that name as a sub-title. I plan to acquire the the whole 5-volume set in any case.
Old 12th December 2009, 04:53 AM   #4241 (permalink)

While it is true that this was only available to subscribers for the set, I have come across some rumblings that a few copies may be released otherwise -- whether this is accurate or not, I don't know, nor do I have any idea how many copies, even if it is. But yes, someone is bound to sell a copy now and again through one of the online outlets, and it may (or may not) be at an affordable price....
Old 12th December 2009, 07:56 AM   #4242 (permalink)
Knivesout no more

I hope the extra volume is released to the general public as well. It seems somewhat churlish not to. If not, perhaps one can buy all five of the volumes and then send a photograph of self with said books to the publishers to be nominated an honorary subscriber?
Old 12th December 2009, 08:44 PM   #4243 (permalink)
Stuck Inside a Cloud

The Jonah Kit by Ian Watson
Maxwell's Demon by Martin Sherwood.

Both Reader's Union editions.

And The Dream Wall by Graham Dunstan Martin.
blacknorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 02:27 AM   #4244 (permalink)
Knivesout no more

Oscar's Books: Thomas Wright

A book examining Wilde's life and personality through the books he read and loved over the course of his life. I am already several chapter in, and it is has been a rather delightful experience thus far.
Old 16th December 2009, 12:28 PM   #4245 (permalink)
Easily amused

From my last Amazon order, books are arriving in bits and dribbles.
The first to arrive were Goddess by Fiona McIntosh and In Great Waters by Kit Whitfield. Yesterday, Avempartha by Michael Sullivan and Midwinter by Mathew Sturges showed up. I think the last 2 will be arriving after the holidays - Nights of Viljamur by Mark Charan Newton and Age of Misrule omibus by Mark Chadbourn.
elvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: