Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > George R R Martin

George R R Martin Discuss the writings of author GRRM.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd June 2005, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

How long did it take you to finish A Game of Thrones?

and how long on average do you read each day?

I finished it in two days and read for about 4-7 hours each day.
alexhurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2005, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: How long did it take you to finish A Game of Thrones?

Less than 30 hours.
Tyranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2005, 10:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
pixie druid

Game of Thrones took me about 5 days reading about 2 hours a day.

On average I read between 1-2 hours a day,but when i'm not at work I can read for about 10 hours
nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2005, 10:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
AryaUnderfoot

Gosh, I can't remember how long it took me the first time I read it. The real issue is that life seems to get in the way when I read now. I used to stay up all night reading, read on the schoolbus, read secretly under my desk at school, read during meals, etc. Now that I'm in the "real world" it's interfering with my reading time!

I usually read between one to two hundred pages an hour, depending on how good the writing is and how easily it flows.
AryaUnderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2005, 06:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Direwolf

Well, between books, periodicals, and various computer screens, I'm pretty much reading constantly; most of the day anyways. As for the amount of time I spend with works of fiction... that varies considerably from week to week, and month to month.

As for the GRRM novels, I don't think I read quite as fast as many of the rest of you. I like savoring each moment. But I just recently reread the series, and I think the three books took about a week each. I seemed to sacrifice more and more sleep with each passing day. Until the end, that is, and then the withdrawal symptoms started to kick in. This forum has been kind of like a support group, in fact, easing the transition back into normal life. Thanks, everybody!
Direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2005, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Jay

When I first read it (which was some years ago), 3-4 hours with cigarette breaks- probably faster now wince I dont smoke anymore

Who would have known it was going to change the epic fantasy landscape!
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2005, 10:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
pixie druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainulindale
When I first read it (which was some years ago), 3-4 hours with cigarette breaks- probably faster now wince I dont smoke anymore

Who would have known it was going to change the epic fantasy landscape!
Why would you need cigarette breaks? Should have just kept an ashtray at the side of you
nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2005, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jay

Quote:

Why would you need cigarette breaks? Should have just kept an ashtray at the side of you
I don't smoke whiel I read, it's a great way to ruin a book/quicken deteriation. Plus if Ihappen to be indoors I don't smoke in my home, the smell is absolutely unbearable.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2005, 02:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Keep Moving Forward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AryaUnderfoot
I usually read between one to two hundred pages an hour, depending on how good the writing is and how easily it flows.
Seriously? Two hundred pages an hour? Are you a speed reader? If this is true I'm very much in awe...

Prob took me two-three days first time through AGoT, shorter of ACoK, slightly longer for ASoS. But this was when I was at uni, so I had plenty of leisure time. At the moment I read on the train on the way to work, about half an hour each way, and then maybe another half-hour to an hour at night. But it really depends what I am reading. If it's something good, I read more, if I'm not to into it, it can be a trial and take me forever. So it varies. But Martin I can always sit down to and lose hours at a time - Wednesday morning, fo instance, rereading The Sworn Sword....
Culhwch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2005, 06:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
AryaUnderfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culhwch
Seriously? Two hundred pages an hour? Are you a speed reader? If this is true I'm very much in awe...
Haha, well... my parents raised me in a home without television, in a small town. I was tearing through as many books as I could get my hands on from an early age.

"The Sworn Sword" - what's that? Where can I get it? I'm collecting as many GRRM books as I can get my hands on.

(Speaking of which, does anyone know how many Hedge Knight comics are out now? I only have the first one and I want more!)
AryaUnderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2005, 06:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Unreg. Mutant Moderator

There's 6 Hedge Knight comics as far as I know, Arya. All comprising 1 story, how Dunk met Egg & the death of Baelor, the Kings Hand

The Sworn Sword was a short story released by GRRM in a compilation called "Legends II"
Winters_Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2005, 01:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Keep Moving Forward!

I'm still in awe, Arya. I did the math (because I'm a geek). That's roughly eighteen seconds a page, sixteen words a second. Be careful, your eyes might blow out....

I wasn't much enamoured of The Sworn Sword the first time through but I quite enjoyed it on the second run. The history dotted in about the Blackfyre rebellion is great. Would love a series on this. Not gonna happen, of course, but still, I can hope. Anyone know of a published concordance or anything planned for the near future? That would be almost as good...
Culhwch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2005, 04:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Live Long and Hunt Freys

My jaw is still agape at the rates of speed Im seeing here. I **thought** I was a fast reader (and my wife often accuses me of skimming rather than reading ) but I cannot even begin to come close to these speeds.
Im more like Direwolf when it comes to GRRM. I often pause to savor scenes, speeches and characters. I just started aSoS again and reread Tywin & Tyrion's scene near the beginning several times just to enjoy it, getting it "right" in my mind.
Frey Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2005, 04:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Direwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frey Slayer
Im more like Direwolf when it comes to GRRM. I often pause to savor scenes, speeches and characters. I just started aSoS again and reread Tywin & Tyrion's scene near the beginning several times just to enjoy it, getting it "right" in my mind.
It's nice to know I'm not the only one. I'll often stop mid-chapter and just sit and think about what the characters are up to and why. Especially scenes with Varys and Pycelle and other complex characters who lack POV chapters. Do the rest of you not do this? Based on the insightful comments, there's obviously a lot of thought going into what you're reading, but when the heck do you find the time?
Direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2005, 09:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

First time it took me two days, I literally never put it down during waking hours...Clash of Kings took me about three...

For Storm of Swords I actually cancelled all dates to go out, dropped all other unnecessary stuff and spent about 36h in bed with food and coffee next to me...

Then I slept for 18h
LadyFel is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: