Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > David Gemmell

David Gemmell The novels and writings of David Gemmell

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th September 2006, 09:25 AM   #76 (permalink)
www.justinthorne.com

Re: Gemmell Movie?

Knights of Dark Renown would be interesting... A different take on vampires, almost a cross between LOTR and Underworld... could be good.

Legend would be excellent, but I've seen enough siege movies so would much prefer to see the story of Druss' life, first chronicles or Deathwalker.

Waylander would be excellent, Jackman or Clive Owen could play a mean lead.
Justin Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2006, 10:10 AM   #77 (permalink)

Paul Teutul sr.He is the right height,build,age,he even has a fairly deep voice,the only problem is his New York accent,and the fact he's not actually an actor,

Hell no. I mean Druss was a difficult character at times, but not this, never this.
izzy667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 10:41 AM   #78 (permalink)

Hi folks,sorry if my choice of person to play Druss isn't appreciated,but as yet i haven't heard any better sugestions for an actor,you,ve got to admit though,my giy does have the physical prescence to play the part.If anyone has a better suggestion,i'd love to hear it.
MARKLS21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 02:28 PM   #79 (permalink)
Devilish in a fun way!

Unhappy Re: Gemmell Movie?

LEGEND The original, the flawed, yet the best - I have thought this work of brilliance should have been made into a film years ago, when I first read Legend!! If it isn't obvious to all that have read it or maybe will after reading this, you clearly don't understand what the majority of film goers look for in a major motion picture, this has it all, violence, bloodshed, love, lost love, colorful characters, an exciting story of huge unmanageable odds overcome, deep characters with flaws that are painful to read that has you cheering them as they grow and understand each other, 2 major hero's from totally different backgrounds, lots of peripheral hero's, magic, myth, a rich new world yet not to different from our medieval past, an adversary of deadly proportions that you can sympathize with yet hate all at the same time, truly an all round masterpiece yet so simplistic you think, ( Why didn't I write this!) No one could have of course only David. To cap it all the perfect bitter sweet ending!! PERFECT. I picked the book up as a last resort as I was just heading on some holiday or other, I forget where but not what brought me to the holy grail of fantasy writing. It seemed a smaller less mature book than my usual fantasy novel, yet I was running late for my plane, so what the heck. I read the book twice during my hols plus managed to pick up lion of Macedon and sequel, whilst away, another great couple of books I was hooked, a Gemmell convert. This also introduced me to Alexander the Great, what a missed opportunity Oliver Stones' attempt was!! Legend the movie though with a big budget, far sighted and intuitive direction (Jackson, Cameron maybe) with true quality actors a few well known "stars" it wouldn't fail to be a smash, the book reads like an epic film of old as it stands, Spartacus, Ben Hur, El Cid or the more recent, Gladiator, Rings Trilogy!! The characters are flawed and likeable and Druss alone could become a better known an easily more identifiable character than Conan (poor films made little sense) It would hardly be a big risk for a film producer and with the mouth watering prospect of Druss prequels to boot, I see it as an obvious and exciting move.

I have championed this idea on other forums since the gut wrenching news that my favorite fantasy writer has moved onto the next world, R.I.P. David Gemmell a true Great, amazing and engaging all your books sit proudly on my shelves and I await the finale to the troy trilogy with reverence and anticipation.

A FILM IS THE PERFECT HOMAGE TO A BRILLIANT IMAGINATION. THOUSANDS AGREE!!
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2006, 01:34 AM   #80 (permalink)

In order to keep the british heart of Legend, I think the cast should be:
Druss: Ray Winstone
Rek: Clive Owen
Virae: Keira Knightly
Orrin: Sean Bean
Hogun: Ewan McGregor
Bowman: Ralf Little (don't ask why, I think he'd be good)
Mendas: Will Mellor
Bradford boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2006, 09:33 AM   #81 (permalink)
www.justinthorne.com

I like the idea of Ray, Bradford boy, but with Clive and Keira in there too, it would seem a bit like a sequel to Arthur!
Old 6th September 2006, 05:37 PM   #82 (permalink)

Good Point, but I still think they would be best (Also, I sure that we could find roles for Ian Holm and Ian McKellen)
Old 7th September 2006, 08:56 AM   #83 (permalink)

Hi guys,with regard to earlier members thoughts,Ray winstone,though talented,does not have the druss physical attributes,the axeman is described as hugely muscled,with massive arms,ray winstone is only huge or massive around his waistline.His age is also a bit lacking,although he's no spring chicken,druss was 60 in 'Legend',winstone just isn't the man for the part,in fact,apart from someone i suggested in an earlier posting,there's no one even close to his 'look',so keep trying guys.
Old 7th September 2006, 09:17 AM   #84 (permalink)
www.justinthorne.com

It could be Schwarzenegger's swan song... he's about 60 has HUGE arms and if his accent can be Cimmerian, it can be Drenai.
Old 7th September 2006, 04:58 PM   #85 (permalink)
Devilish in a fun way!

Arni popped into my head to actually!! Although the voice!! Could be explained away with his time overseas searching for his love?

Also can Conan be Druss?? . . .Stallone??

It could then pave the way for some unknown to arise in the prequels a young Arnie to be as the Axeman as a youth??
Old 8th September 2006, 04:02 AM   #86 (permalink)
smiling politely

i distinctly remember the book saying that Virae was NOT beautiful. and Keira most definitely is! if the movie went to Hollywood i'm sure they'd cast someone beautiful anyway though...
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 11:39 PM   #87 (permalink)

Hello again,it seems that nobody can decide who should play the 'Deathwalker',maybe we should just say the part is uncastable,if that is a word,at least in so much as to make it remain loyal to the root of the character,somehow i can't see 'Arnie',calling people 'laddie',in what's commonly guessed to be a scots accent,it just ain't gonna work,is it?.Keep trying guys,the' axeman',may yet be out there somewhere.
Old 10th September 2006, 09:16 PM   #88 (permalink)

What about Robbie Coltrane as Druss? First, he's Scottish; Second, he definately has a phyisical presence, and third, No-one can doubt his acting ability.
Old 13th September 2006, 12:36 PM   #89 (permalink)
Devilish in a fun way!

He's fat and comic!!!!
Old 13th September 2006, 12:41 PM   #90 (permalink)
Devilish in a fun way!

It would have to hollywooded up, so yes a beautiful Virae, yes big star and unfrotunately American . . . but this still has enormous promise look at the rings trilogy now classic movies!! Yet keeping as much faith as the producers allowed. What about an ageing unknown ex WWF wrestler or someone, although you mention good acting from a dialogue point of view it needs to be Gruff and to the point with Druss.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: