Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > Kate Elliott

Kate Elliott Discuss Kate Elliott's writing, such as her Crown of Stars and Jaran books.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th June 2005, 01:38 AM   #31 (permalink)
Young at Heart

Re: Who is Alain?

Rose went to the ruins... often... what if she did have a lover? Maybe even Henri...

And the Shaded Aoi mentioned that Alain is marked...
Thoughts or theories on this Earos?

Plus... I really believe that Henri knows who the father is... He knows the truth...
Alia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 02:26 AM   #32 (permalink)

Maybe Rose was one of those magic using people and went to the crown there to communicate with the sleepers... I know no one has really touched on that theory yet, so think about it a little... Think about how Bernard was with Liath and how Henri was with Alain... Maybe thats what Henri wanted to protect Alain from, the sleepers...

Too many possibilities concerning Alain's importance to the story... Too many overlapping events and circumstances...

Alain being marked could be from when he went to Adica's time and spoke to the princes (I thought it odd that the shadow prince didnt recognize him...) and gave the prince a golden feather... Then again, with all Alain has gone through... it could have been from the lady of battles marking him, it could have something to do with his affinity to animals.... The Aoi hold animals in some sort of religous, ritual type regard, perhaps thats why they hate the horse people, they look at them as unholy or unnatural...

BTW, the war the Aoi were fighting was against the horse people, the humans were just used, by both sides...

I agree, Henri knows something... It could have happened just as I said.. just my thoughts though...
Earos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 03:29 AM   #33 (permalink)
Young at Heart

The time theory with Alain going back in time was actually discussed on Kate's site... I'll sum it up for you what we concluded:
First the appearance of Alain... There is several years difference when he first runs into the shaded aoi and then when he gives the aoi the feather. He had a beard and wasn't as lanky as he was when he was younger, etc. etc. etc.
Secondly... they are two different Aois... twins, I believe. And it was Eldest Uncle who recieved the feather, not Zuga... something, so Zuga(something - I'm too lazy to look it up sorry) only saw Alain the one time, at the ruins.

Interesting theory about Henri protecting Alain against the seven sleepers... but what if it wasn't really the seven sleepers, but someone else? Who?
Also, Anne didn't take note of Alain until book 5... which I find is interesting and Alain is a year old than Liath.
I have often wondered if in the proluge after Henry the king is done with Alia and carries of Sanglant, there is a second group of people watching the event and decided to stop it... you know the scene... I hope... anyways... I have wondered if the scene wasn't really of Anne and the seven sleepers, but a different group? And Alain is the product of that group... but I don't know who...
Aaahhh... it is just a thought...
Old 8th June 2005, 04:11 AM   #34 (permalink)

it was the seven sleepers, there is a reference to it when liath is learning who she is and who bernard was and what he did for her and how anne killed him... That lead me to believe that they are both the same..

When Alain gave the feather to eldest uncle, his twin was standing right there... The twin wanted to kill Alain, but eldest uncle pointed out the gesture of peace represented by the feather...

Besides, with all the plots, sub-plots and overlapping plots... Ms. Elliot would have to keep it all straight... Look how much trouble we are having keeping the things we know straight... Imagine if there was another hidden organization with even more plots... and if they focused on Alain... Alain has gone through enough... He needs some R&R time... Poor guy... I am not even sure Ms. Elliot meant for him to be the focus of the series... I think Sanglant and Liath have enough plots going on to keep the series going... LOL

Just some more off the wall ideas from the peanut gallery
Old 8th June 2005, 04:20 AM   #35 (permalink)
Young at Heart

Alright peanut gallery... how about this one...
Did you get confused with the baby in the proluge and Alain in the first chapter of the story?
Old 8th June 2005, 04:30 AM   #36 (permalink)

LOL pegged me right on that one... took me a bit to catch on... LOL
Old 8th June 2005, 04:32 AM   #37 (permalink)
Young at Heart

I wonder if Kate did it on purpose... your not the only one... lots of people I know had to work it out. I wonder why she did it. Any ideas?

Maybe we should be asking Kelpie this question... she may actually know...
Old 8th June 2005, 04:54 AM   #38 (permalink)

It lends weight to the importance of Alain... I think there is a noticeable age gap between alain and sanglant so that rules out a possible mix up... Thats not including the telltale Aoi coloring of Sanglant...

As for deeper meanings I would be likely to believe that Rose was a sleeper and Alain was one of the tools they were going to bring into the world to combat Sanglant...
Old 8th June 2005, 10:22 AM   #39 (permalink)
A Plume of Smoke

I am only part way through book three, so I should go easy on the comments so as to safe face when I am hundred percent wrong.

I was thinking that Liath was the tool sent to combat Sanglant, there are after all many ways in which to combat. Did she not have an immediate effect on Sanglant? Excuse me if I am way off the mark here.
Lacedaemonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 03:29 PM   #40 (permalink)
Young at Heart

Your right, to a point about Liath, Lacey. When your done let me know...
Old 8th June 2005, 03:47 PM   #41 (permalink)
A Plume of Smoke

I said that I was part way through book three. That was a freaking lie. I have just started book two. Typo or lie? Who knows???
Lacedaemonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 06:48 PM   #42 (permalink)
Young at Heart

Your bad Lacey... Good thing I didn't say much! I had a whole thing typed out and thought about which book I was quoting and decided to be vague... thank heavens... would hate to ruin it for you...

What am I saying... I should tell you everything..
Old 8th June 2005, 09:11 PM   #43 (permalink)
AryaUnderfoot

Solely based on looks, I think Alain is Henri's son. In "The Gathering Storm," Stronghand sees Henri and mistakes him for Alain, at first. He had never seen Henri before, and could in no way make that association unless there is a strong resemblance between the two.

As for what Alain wants in life- no, he doesn't want to be skopos or anything that would put him in a position of power. But he has no choice. As you've said, Earos (sp?), he's being bounced around all over the place. I think Alain will end up in a place of power, but he'll weild that power differently from all others, not to control people, but to spread good.
AryaUnderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2005, 03:07 AM   #44 (permalink)

I agree about him ending up in a position of power.. I feel bad for him about it too... but sometimes a person has to do what they dont want to, just to make sure it is done correctly...

There is little physical resemblance between alain and henri... read chapter 1 of the first book... When Alain and henri are described they are described as having little to no resemblance whatsoever... Alain being tall and lanky and henri being short and stocky... As to how stronghand could have been mistaken... I still haven't figured that out yet... I am thinking Stronghand senses a resemblance more then sees one... The first chapter of book one is the only reason I dont assume Henri is Alain's real father...

I am sorry to the people that haven't read the entire series yet... I have been spilling the beans left and right... Someone should have slapped me for posting so many spoilers... but then again I tend to be vague anyway, so I guess it wasn't that bad... I will try to keep in mind that many of you have not finished the series yet... again, I am sorry if I ruined anything for anybody...
Old 9th June 2005, 04:11 AM   #45 (permalink)
Young at Heart

Quote:
I am thinking Stronghand senses a resemblance more then sees one...
Isn't it true that Stronghand often sees what Alain does when Alain is awake... just like Alain sees Stronghand when Alain sleeps? It's how Stronghand becomes aware of intelligence and wisdom, is through Alain's eyes. Couldn't Stronghand have seen Henri the one time that Alain saw him while connected with Stronghand just merely remembers Henri from that one instance? This could easily explain why Stronghand saw a resemblance, it could merely be him remembering that Alain was his foster father...
It's a theory...

And Earos...
This discussion is for those of us who are interested in who Alain is. I don't think we are ruining anything for someone who hasn't read all of the books. I actually believe they will be totally lost on what we are talking about and when they reach a point that we have discussed then they will take note of it. They won't be like me and have to reread the series to pick up on all that they missed the first time. When I first read the series, I actually believed that by book 4 we would know who Alain was. Much to my dismay (Yes Kate-dismay ) I didn't know at the end of book 5.
Another thing you can if you would like to make you feel better about giving out spoilers is this:
spoiler...
something like that

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: