Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > Kate Elliott

Kate Elliott Discuss Kate Elliott's writing, such as her Crown of Stars and Jaran books.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th May 2005, 08:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
A Plume of Smoke

Re: Who is Alain?

So far he could be anybody. I am having real problems keeping a mental note of who is who historically speaking. It is hard keeping a level of mental serenity after working with raving tards all day. Alain is too cool for shoes, though he is the lonliest hero ever.
Lacedaemonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2005, 04:53 AM   #17 (permalink)

You have a child born on may 13th, alia? How very coincidental... I was born on May 13th... I had best friend growing up that was born may 12 and was a year older then me... I work with someone that was born May 13th... When I first moved to texas the room in the house I was staying in was struck by lightening on May 13th... The day i was born the mayor of New York blew up the top few floors of a building to kill a group of radicals...

I keep telling people that May 13th is an odd day.... nobody believes me....

OK, back on topic...
If Alain does become a ruler of some sort, I will wager it will be against his will... After living through what that poor guy has been through... I think a happy ending for him would be finding a wife (that loves him as much as he loves her) and taking over Henri's little shipping business...
From my personnal experience, people like Alain, that have been through things similar to what he has gone through... they want to retire... they want to go to a little village somewhere and be helpful to thier neighbors and live in peace... They do not want to rule the world or become religious icons... At least thats how I feel and I havent gone through a quarter of what Alain has...

For me a happy ending would be Sanglant and Liath running some sort of court or advisory position to blessing... Alain finds a way to be with Adica forever and they live in peace and quiet... Hugh gets what he deserves and suffers a very, very long time... Stronghand leads the Eika to a modern day peace.... Lavastine comes back from the stone sleep and kicks Geoffry in the arse.... Anne comes back from the dead and is given to the Aoi to do with as they wish... Baldwin finally dies (I hate that whimpering little cuss), Ivar grows some balls or Hanna kicks him in his Arse...

wait this wasnt on topic... dangit Alia... making me ramble on again

Last edited by Earos; 4th June 2005 at 04:55 AM. Reason: addition of key facts... (more accurate rambling.)
Earos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2005, 05:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
Young at Heart

Yes, the little one celebrated his first birthday on Friday the 13th... He suffers from extreme cuteness... I am in big trouble with that one...
And I don't make you ramble... it's your talent.

To the subject though...
I would love to copy and paste your description of Alain from Kate's website to here. It was exactly who I think he is and you did an awesome job of saying it so well. After reading it, I knew with out a doubt that he wouldn't be the next emperor. He isn't a leader. I think the next Emperor or Empress would be Blessing... have you read that far yet? Have you finished the series to date?
I think Alain could be the next pura... but I'm still a little ify on that subject. And don't get me started about Hugh... errrrr.... I really don't like him.... errrrr....
Anyways.... I think there is a reason why Alain is connected to so many people... Stronghand, Sanglant, Liath, Hanna, and more... but why?
Any ideas?

PS. You don't care for the homos of the story? hehe
Alia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2005, 06:33 AM   #19 (permalink)

nothing against "homo's" at all... I read mercades lachey's work... the last herald mage was a very good series btw...
I just cant stand whiney, sniveling, ignorant crybabies... Baldwin's looks wouldn't have lasted if he was around me for long... Hard to look good when your missing teeth and in bad need of facial reconstructive surgery(SP? I am tired...) I think between him and Hugh both I would have been a busy man... hehe
Old 4th June 2005, 07:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
Young at Heart

A lot of people on Kate Elliott's forum couldn't stand the homo part of the books... in fact they hated Baldwin with a passion for that very reason... I was just wondering. Baldwin doesn't bother me... It's Hugh and Tallia I can't stand. I couldn't stand Anne either, but she was bearable...
Old 6th June 2005, 07:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
AryaUnderfoot

Hey Alia,

I just finished re-reading "The Gathering Storm," and I think that Alain is what Henri says- his son. But I think that upon his conception, or maybe his birth, there was something more to his soul- kind of like the son of God, but without the immaculate conception. Obviously he's a divine being in some way, otherwise he wouldn't have the powers that he has (I'm being rather vague here because I really want to hear Lace's unadulterated opinions).
AryaUnderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2005, 07:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
Young at Heart

Yeah... I have to say I agree with you... Earos posted something on Kate's Website about Alain I love. I think I will see if Earos will copy and paste it over here. And Lacey needs to hurry up and finish reading... I am looking forward to his opinion on the matter.

Good to see you Arya!
Old 6th June 2005, 11:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
A Plume of Smoke

I am reading as fast as I can but not as fast as I would like. This series is excellent thus far, and it was (I think) recommended to me by Ali and maybe Kelpie. Either way thanks to those people who told me about this series.

I was begining to think that Alain was simply the son of Henri. The question is; Who is Henri?
Old 6th June 2005, 11:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
AryaUnderfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alia
After reading it, I knew with out a doubt that he wouldn't be the next emperor. He isn't a leader. I think the next Emperor or Empress would be Blessing...
I don't think Alain is meant to be the next Emporer either, Alia. But I do think he's a leader of sorts- he's just not the type who covets power. I think that he'd be great at changing the rules a little bit and becoming the next skopos. That church could really use someone like him, who is kind and fair and leads gently and not by force. He's also open-minded, which I think could go far in regards to helping unite the lands.

On a side note, I doubt I'd be a big fan of Baldwin either, but in the end he does think of others before himself- I think he grows a lot as a character (although he still has a lot to learn). I just wonder what's going to happen with Ivar. That boy is so conflicted it's painful somehow.
Old 6th June 2005, 11:39 PM   #25 (permalink)
AryaUnderfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacedaemonian
I was begining to think that Alain was simply the son of Henri. The question is; Who is Henri?
Ooooh good question there... I never thought of it in that light.
Old 7th June 2005, 10:00 AM   #26 (permalink)
A Plume of Smoke

He spends so much time away from home (Henri) and what, if he is his father, was his motive for putting his only child in the church? Protection? But from what?
Old 7th June 2005, 03:21 PM   #27 (permalink)
Young at Heart

Have you finished reading all five books yet Lacey? If you haven't, wait, things get more interesting between Henri and Alain.
Old 8th June 2005, 12:13 AM   #28 (permalink)

Sorry it took me sooooo long Aria... Here is my post (edited to remove the rambling... or as much of the rambling as I could)

"I think Alain has been touched by supernatural and magical beings, but he doesn't seem to have been born with it... Sanglant has always known who and what he was, Liath knew she was magical, but learned she was supernatural as well... Alain is more like a pinball machine... He gets bounced around by the events going on around him... Thats one of the greatest things about him.. He gets bounced around more then anyone has a right to be, but he retains who he is (to me, thats the only miracle Alain has performed)... He holds true to his beliefs, even when he is trying to go against his nature... In some ways he is the opposite of Hugh, Hugh used his life as an excuse to be a monster... Alain uses his experiences as a reason not to be one...
If he ever breaks out of his shell he will be a force to reckon with, but until then... He is just another ball bouncing around in the machine....
"At least thats my opinion... Who knows, I could be wrong..." -Dennis Miller
I know my interpretation of alain is a little different from everyone else's and I dont really dwell on his heritage as much as I bring up what and who he is now... I think who his parents are is less significant then who he has grown (is growing) into... I mean Jesus was born to a carpenter and a housewife look what he represents now... Was jesus the child of God? aren't we all? if your christian you know what I mean, I do not believe in religion so dont think i am a holier then thou type.. I just grew up around it.. I wont go into my beliefs, they offend religious people so I pretty much keep them to myself... (again I babble... bad Earos... keep on topic for a change... hehe)
I have read some comparisons between the crown of stars and the modern christian church... thats the only reason I used the example I did... probably not the best way to make my point, but I think it is effective... Sorry if my borderline blasphemy offended anyone, that was not my intent... I really hope I didnt offend anyone...

Alain is like me... A walking oxymoron... He is open and genuine, but mysterious... He is clever and intelligent, but lacks direction of his own... purpose without motivation... Has a strong common sense personality, but makes stupid mistakes... He is honest to himself even when he is lieing to himself... A very real character in my eyes... Thats why I think he is not supernatural or magical... He is to human to be anything else... "

Thats what I think anyways (I hope this is the post alia was thinking of... If not, feel free to copy and paste anything I put up on Kate's forums...)
Old 8th June 2005, 12:43 AM   #29 (permalink)
Young at Heart

Thank you Earos... That's the one! Your an awesome guy!
Old 8th June 2005, 01:16 AM   #30 (permalink)

**blushes** thanks Alia

On the thoughts of why Henri would put his only child into the church... Protection from what? himself... If you are thinking that alain is magical or supernatural, then you must take into account the prejudices that exist in that time... Maybe Alain is magical and supernatural, maybe he was born to it... During that time the church is cracking the whip on all things they cannot control... So Henri decided to hide the boy in the church, where he would learn "right and wrong"...

If your thinking like me and think what makes Alain special is Alain, not magic or divinity, then maybe it was the dieing wish of his mother... I don't think his mother was a whore... I think they put that title on her because she got pregnant out side of wedlock... Maybe she was raped and he was the product... Sort of like how Liath was pregnant from that bastard Hugh... Only Alain's mom got away from her tormentor before he could beat her up and push her down stairs... She meets Henri and fall in love, she dies in childbirth... Henri loves Alain for being the last piece of his love and resents him because he was the cause of her death... He decides to put the boy in the church...

If I really think about it, there are alot of different possibilities... I do not think he is part Aoi, nor do I believe he is supernatural... I do agree that he is one of the lonliest heroes, but heroes usually are... The reward for a true hero is peace and quiet... Alain does not want to be skopos or anything else... A frater maybe, more like a farmer.... I think he has had his fill (and then some) of important people and situations...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: