Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Science fiction and fantasy > Reviews

Reviews Book and Film reviews to be posted on the main site

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 05:06 AM   #16 (permalink)
Benevolent Galaxy Being

Re: Kingdom of Heaven

This is one of my top ten movies of all time!

Great depiction of the way things were like roughly a thousand years ago, an awesome film by Ridley Scott.
Starbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 10:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Spiff's Stunt Double

This is one of those movies that you REALLY have to see the Directors Cut of. I saw the theatrical version and gave it a disappointed "meh". Then against my will I was talking into seeing the extended directors cut, and the film became one of my all time favourite movies. Orlando Bloom's character suddenly makes sense (he used to be a siege engineer and has fought in the crusades before, which explains how he suddenly seems to know how to defend cities) and there is an extended sub-plot regarding the Queen of Jerusalem and her son which is PIVOTAL to her character but that the theatrical cut utterly missed out. There's a fantastically shot and choreographed sword-fight between Guy and Balien at the end of the movie, loose ends are tied up, plot oddities explained, characters get more screen time and their actions make sense.

Seriously, try the directors cut. It's worth it.
Coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 05:47 PM   #18 (permalink)

This would be one of my favourite movies except I know too much of that period of history and Scott just decided to change whole chunks of it.

For example Balian was a middle-aged nobleman in the Holy Land. He was charged with defense of Jerusalem and in the end he did strike a bargain with Saladin. Any one who could pay were allowed to leave the city. Not quite the egalatarian story line that is presented in the movie.

So it is not quite an accurate or great depiction of life back then.
svalbard is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: