Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Books and Literature > Book Search

Book Search Can't remember the title, name, or author of a book/writer of a story in the worlds of science fiction/fantasy? Then ask here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th March 2012, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

title of 70 or 80's novel with gods, mutants, outcast humans, semi-post apopaclyptic

Book is about the last of 'true' humans (i think). At some point in past genetic engineers created mutants for space exploration and 'gods' who were able to manipulate energy. These gods claimed different planets. Some (or all?) of them were tyrannical. Young human man and women are having a baby who will be more powerful than the 'gods'.

Can remember the cover art.
Shows a young man standing over a crouching young woman on the left side of the cover. On the right side a cyclopian mutant is projecting a ray from its eye at the young man. The young man has a aura around him and a surprised look on his face as the ray is deflected away from him.

Don't know why but this is driving me crazy. Can anyone recall the title or author of this book? PLEASE?

Last edited by wadehart; 16th March 2012 at 08:48 PM.
wadehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 04:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: title of 70 or 80's novel with gods, mutants, outcast humans, semi-post apopaclyp

zelazny's lord of light
m
bangerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Re: title of 70 or 80's novel with gods, mutants, outcast humans, semi-post apopaclyp

Not Lord of Light. No children central to the plot. Only one planet, where the populace were deliberately reduced to pre-industrial civilization so the "gods" could rule over them.
ashewyntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 03:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry bang, ash is right. It's not Lord of Light. This takes place on earth, i think i remember now, that the last of the true humans are confined to reservations. The gods are making plans to eradicate them simply because they're seen as useless. The young woman carrying the child believes this was a sort of psychic/genetic trigger that lead to the child's conception (i think that in the book) The baby that is born is a female.
Old 4th May 2012, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Author and Editor

Parts of this remind me of T.J. Bass' Half Past Human and its sequel, The God Whale, but I'm not sure they're what you're after either.
Ian Whates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 11:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ian,
Thanks for the allusion. But neither of those are the book I was thinking of. Man I have a good memory in general, wish i could remember this title. I don't think it was by a prolific author, but i sure would like to read it again.
Old 4th May 2012, 11:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I LOVE AMAZON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brother to Demons, Brother to Gods!!!!
Yes!!!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: