Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Books and Literature > General Book Discussion

General Book Discussion General Science Fiction Fantasy books and literature discussion.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd February 2012, 05:23 PM   #151 (permalink)

Re: February's Fabulous Feast Of Fully Formidable Fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Heh heh! My avatar looks appalled.
Not as appalled as the assistant will look when I go into Waterstone's and ask for the book!
Old 22nd February 2012, 06:37 PM   #152 (permalink)

Quote:
Please tell me that's a typo. Or some sort of parody?!
Nope, sorry. That's what I meant in my earlier post (on The City of the Chasch) when I said his "facility for invented terms" sometimes failed him.

(It's supposed to be a perfectly innocent, arbitrary name for an alien race. Chasch, Wankh, Dirdir, Pnume.

I'd heard it had been retitled in at least one UK edition but that is apparently myth, as I can't find any evidence of it. A US edition abridges the title of the first two volumes as Chasch and Wankh, leaving the race-names unchanged.)
Old 22nd February 2012, 06:57 PM   #153 (permalink)
Thar! That Blows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HareBrain View Post
Ah, I never knew the BOTR cover was taking off a particular LOTR one. This is the same edition I bought (new) in about 1985, so it was obviously around for a while.
You made me look: http://lotrscrapbook.bookloaf.net/ga...s/pages/04.htm

There have been a couple of more recent editions of the parody with different covers.

Now I'm tempted to hunt up my copy of Doon But that one just doesn't have the same spark.
http://lotrscrapbook.bookloaf.net/ga...s/pages/04.htm
Old 22nd February 2012, 09:37 PM   #154 (permalink)
Thar! That Blows.

Correct link to Doon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Lampoon's_Doon
Old 23rd February 2012, 04:49 AM   #155 (permalink)

Getting kind of lost here. Vance's Tschai 1 started poorly but, before I could give up, it got good. Then Tschai 2 was not so good and I wasn't looking forward to Tschai 3 (The Dirdir) but I finished it today and it was pretty excellent right out of the gate - the best of the three - until it faltered at the end. So now on to Tschai 4 and I have no idea what to expect.
Old 23rd February 2012, 02:34 PM   #156 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sun View Post
Getting kind of lost here. Vance's Tschai 1 started poorly but, before I could give up, it got good. Then Tschai 2 was not so good and I wasn't looking forward to Tschai 3 (The Dirdir) but I finished it today and it was pretty excellent right out of the gate - the best of the three - until it faltered at the end. So now on to Tschai 4 and I have no idea what to expect.
The Dirdir is my fav book in the series and more quality adventure than the others.

The last book is different,darker. I thought it started slowly but it is a strong ending to the series.
Old 23rd February 2012, 04:04 PM   #157 (permalink)
Couch Commander

I really enjoyed the Wankh.
Old 23rd February 2012, 05:37 PM   #158 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sun View Post
Nope, sorry. That's what I meant in my earlier post (on The City of the Chasch) when I said his "facility for invented terms" sometimes failed him.

(It's supposed to be a perfectly innocent, arbitrary name for an alien race. Chasch, Wankh, Dirdir, Pnume.

I'd heard it had been retitled in at least one UK edition but that is apparently myth, as I can't find any evidence of it. A US edition abridges the title of the first two volumes as Chasch and Wankh, leaving the race-names unchanged.)
Does the slang term "wanker" go back to the time when Vance wrote the books and his publishers issued them? I don't remember seeing the slang term earlier than the mid-Seventies or so. I should think that, if Vance had any existing word in mind, it was "ankh."
Old 23rd February 2012, 06:18 PM   #159 (permalink)
Lagomorphing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extollager View Post
Does the slang term "wanker" go back to the time when Vance wrote the books and his publishers issued them?
You can't say it! It's rude.

It's 1940s British slang, apparently. Must have taken some time to cross the Atlantic. (Perhaps because the seamen were otherwise engaged.)
Old 23rd February 2012, 06:30 PM   #160 (permalink)
roar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunkins View Post
I really enjoyed the Wankh.
Quote:

It's 1940s British slang, apparently. Must have taken some time to cross the Atlantic. (Perhaps because the seamen were otherwise engaged.)
I feel like I'm playing innuendo bingo.
Old 23rd February 2012, 06:41 PM   #161 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connavar View Post
The Dirdir is my fav book in the series and more quality adventure than the others.

The last book is different,darker. I thought it started slowly but it is a strong ending to the series.
Yeah, for the bulk of it, The Dirdir was definitely my favorite, too. I'm hoping The Pnume will end up being my favorite, though, just because the series as a whole needs a boost. There's so much to like in it but things keep preventing me from completely enjoying it. So far so good for The Pnume and I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extollager View Post
I should think that, if Vance had any existing word in mind, it was "ankh."
Excellent point and, if so, it wouldn't be a silent 'h' but would be pronounced more like an inoffensive, slightly aspirated "wonk".

Quote:
I feel like I'm playing innuendo bingo.
lol
Old 23rd February 2012, 09:28 PM   #162 (permalink)
Couch Commander

Quote:

He was actually unaware of the term and he was just making up a name. When, later, he was clued into it's more vulgar association he wanted to go back and change the name (and I think in later publications Wankh was in fact changed to another name, can't recall what though).

edit: Here we are, from the Wiki
Quote:
The editors of the Vance Integral Edition restored the author's preferred title for the first book: The Chasch. They also altered the second to The Wannek and replaced 'Wankh' with 'Wannek' throughout the text. Vance was convinced to change the name after being informed of the meaning of the word 'wank' in British and Commonwealth slang.
2nd edit: BTW, I finished A Song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay, and loved it. Gorgeous novel. And I'm starting Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds.
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:19 PM   #163 (permalink)
dark and stormy knight

I kinda like the new term.
Old 24th February 2012, 01:43 AM   #164 (permalink)
Beam Me Up Scotty

Quote:
He was actually unaware of the term and he was just making up a name. When, later, he was clued into it's more vulgar association he wanted to go back and change the name (and I think in later publications Wankh was in fact changed to another name, can't recall what though).
That's a shame, I found it quite novel, especially seeing I come from a country where the term is used both as an insult and a compliment

I have bought The Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey. I have been informed it is quite a good series of novella's, and at $5 for the Ebook, well I just had to have it.

I also got The Survivors: Book 1 (Life After War) by Angela White. I have read that the grammar is terrible, but hey, my grammar is terrible also. Plus it cost a whole lot of nothing to get the ebook off Amazon.
Old 24th February 2012, 04:48 AM   #165 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connavar View Post

Now that I've finished the whole set with The Pnume, I completely agree - The Dirdir was the most exhilarating, thrilling, etc. The Pnume is much more claustrophobic, unsurprisingly, but really intense and, yeah, it ends it all well. Like I say, I found the series a bumpy ride but, having finished it and looking back over it, while I still think my complaints along the way are valid, they seem less important. The rough patches get smoothed over in the long run. Good stuff.

Quote:
edit: Here we are, from the Wiki
That may have been what I was thinking of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dask View Post
I kinda like the new term.
Wannek? Mmm, it has two syllables (which an article also points out) and isn't as exotic. Wenkh or Nankh or something would be enough, I'd think. But I also agree with the article on the point that Vance is an American and not responsible for how UK folks might take it - some of his words may be outright profanity in, e.g., Basque but he can't be expected to take it and every other language and dialect in the world into account. Corporations often do that sort of thing for multi-million dollar products and, if the publisher wanted to, I guess they could, but Vance shouldn't be expected to.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: