Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Aspiring Writers > Writing Challenges

Writing Challenges Chronicles Writing Challenges including the popular '75 word challenge' and the new '300 word challenge'.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:03 PM   #91 (permalink)
The Darth Knight

Re: Discussion - February 2011 - 75 Word Challenge

She lived. She loved. She died.

There you go - now you'll never have to read another romance novel. I think I've covered all bases.
Scott R. Forshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:07 PM   #92 (permalink)
Benevolent Galaxy Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetual Man View Post
Starbeast – Well... this was just explosive, it all comes together with the kiss at the end.
Yeah, I didn't want to do a drama. So I went back to action, with a strong bond between husband and wife.

Thanks Perpetual Man for your Feb. review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlcubierreWarp View Post
It's scary sometimes how much real life can seem like a story. If someone is searching for ideas, this might inspire them. Hopefully the scientists are okay!

http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...ok-fall-silent
That is some spooky news. I too hope everyone there is alright.
Starbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:19 PM   #93 (permalink)
The Crazy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
I'm in complete agreement with you on that one Karn. It is exactly the reason I didn't restart my 75 word efforts last month. I don't read westerns at all (though I keep thinking I should try some) and I don't really read weird either so I just wouldn't have enjoyed trying to write in that genre. Not a problem with the choice of genre; just not one I'm comfotable with. Conversely I'm loving this one and having great fun

Well with me it wasn't due to theme or genre....I just had something up I wasn't able to deal with at the time, otherwise I could have come up with something on the 300.

But it seems to be over now, hehe. Beyond that, I might have ahhed and hmmed about "devotion" but the immortal sniper came rather easily...
Karn Maeshalanadae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 02:54 AM   #94 (permalink)
AMB
Advanced Muddle Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R. Forshaw View Post
She lived. She loved. She died.

There you go - now you'll never have to read another romance novel. I think I've covered all bases.
Insert tab A into slot B?

Perp, thanks for the review. Smirking is good.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 05:03 AM   #95 (permalink)

would you consider someone following a prophecy to be devotion to the prophecy?
juelz4sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 05:15 AM   #96 (permalink)
The Crazy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by juelz4sure View Post
It depends on how close they follow. Devotion, especially theological devotion, can go hand in hand with zealotry. If the someone IS following closely enough, like those who follow the Bible and live by its teachings, would be considered devoted. More often than not, though, devotion comes out of love. Something to keep in mind, no?
Karn Maeshalanadae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 07:44 AM   #97 (permalink)

Just finished reading all the entries thus far and it’s amazing the amount of talent on this site.
Starbeast absolutely wonderful
Alchemist I loved the way your turned something I know well and made it completely alien to me
Spring wow… love the imagery and wow… lol
juelz4sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 08:37 AM   #98 (permalink)
Satisfied clients our aim

I'm with Hex, some seriously good stuff this month; amazing. It's going to be a multi cup task selecting one - aargh! 1 - from them (and it's only the 4th of the month)
springs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 10:03 AM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juelz4sure View Post
The theme just says 'devotion' not devotion to anything in particular so I'd say yes. Of course it's up to the writer to convince the reader that what they are reading represents 'devotion', and the strongest way of doing that, usually, is "show don't tell".
mosaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 12:01 PM   #100 (permalink)

Just had a first stab at mine for this month.

'A rough outline, about 50 words with plenty of room for improvement', I thought. 90 words!
mosaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 01:57 PM   #101 (permalink)
Mad Mountain Man

I did something like that then glanced down at the bottom of the window and... 150 words and I wasn't even close to the end. How did that happen?
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 07:45 PM   #102 (permalink)
Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
Perp, I guess you decided you'd better get going with your reviews after all Perp! I thought High Eight's was a spider or some such from the reference to chitin.

Oh and Karn; don't knock it, yours is already on my short list! I thought it was great and absolutely fitted the theme.
You got it, Vertigo. (Possibly) shape-shifting arachnoid/humanoid monster (Maybe alien).

One day I may finish the story that "Ill Met by Moonlight" is a vivisected chunk of - then even I'll know for sure!
High Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 08:54 PM   #103 (permalink)
Former Comment Giver

Springs – She didn't! Really this is just turning the noble and respected 75 word challenge into smut, and I'm having nun of it, nun of it you hear! Why this kind of thing is habit forming, it'll grow and I mean biblical proportions. It's just going to make me cross! Soon it'll be all kinds of fallen clergy, coming at us from all angels. A lot of fun, certainly eyebrow raising, and an excellent story too.

Reiver – This is one of those where I think I know what's going on, but am prepared to be wrong! In this instance the set up is perfect. You get the impression of an old married couple that have been together forever and the moment has come when one of them must pass on, but... the twist comes when we discover that the main character is not a husband, but rather a guardian... wonderful.

Anya – Something a little different but no less wonderful for it. There are so many ways that this one can tie into the theme that it's quite miraculous. Darla's devotion to her diet, or to her weakness for food, to Linzi's becoming a lifetime on the hips. Really quite simple, but the more you look at it the more clever it becomes.

Hex – Once again a really clever story that starts out misleading you. There was no doubt in my mind as I read through it for the first time that this was another story turning into a smutty piece, but of course I should have known better. There are all kinds of devotion and in this instance it is not to another human, but to a drink, a fluid, for want of another word a drug. I nearly missed the connection to Professor T., but got it in the last moment!

Stormcrow – Yet another great story that could well be seen as tale of twisted devotion. Love of course can be both a wonderful and terrible thing, and we get to see it in this clever little tale. The main character falling in love with someone who he just cannot be with, is nothing new, the absolute devotion he has to the fairy is simply twisted into a devotion of hatred that takes on a truly horrific twist.
Perpetual Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 10:26 PM   #104 (permalink)
Only Forward

Just for clarification; Saint Michael, he of the flaming sword, reaches to souls near death and saves them, hence frustrating Satan. His shield bears the phrase Quis ut Deus? ("Who is like God?").

The narrator in this story is either Hannah's guardian angel, or her husband who has earned the right to protect her soul through a lifetime of devotion (I leave it up to the reader).
reiver33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 10:28 PM   #105 (permalink)
Satisfied clients our aim

I got the reference, Reiver, and thought it very good.

Perp, thankyou for your comments. No defence offered.
springs is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: