Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Publishers & Industry > Conventions and Events

Conventions and Events NEW! Science fiction and fantasy conventions, events, and other related gatherings. Resource for existing members to share news with the chronicles community. NOTE: People who join just to post here will have their posts removed and accounts banned.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:27 AM   #16 (permalink)
Pretentious Avatar Alert.

Re: So... Eastercon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Whates View Post

Dark Currents - an anthology featuring all new stories from Tricia Sullivan, Adrian Tchaikovsky, Adam Nevill, Nina Allan, Aliette de Bodard, Lavie Tidhar, Sophia McDougall, Rod Rees, Una McCormack, Neil Williamson, etc.

Saving for a Sunny Day - a new short story collection from the inimitable Ian Watson, featuring fifteen previously uncollected stories, with notes on each piece by the author.

The Outcast and the Little One -- brilliant debut novel from Andy West set on a future Venus where two post-human races struggle for supremacy: the pacifist, mechanoid Aumons, and the exotic, aggressive Clonir.

Feel free to come along, drink and make merry!
Ooh, put a copy of Sunny Day to one side for me! Every house should have a Watson!
J-WO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 11:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
Fantastical historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coragem View Post
Although, I have lately learned that Joe Abercrombie will be there, on some panels, and our very own Anne Lyle is intending to be there too!!!!
I am indeed! I'm down for three different panels (none with Joe, unfortunately), and of course I'll be around to sign your nice shiny copies of The Alchemist of Souls - I'm sure Angry Robot will have a stall, and maybe a signing session as well

Panels:

* The Fantasy of William Shakespeare
* How Pseudo do you like your Medieval?
* Worldbuilding: When, How and How Much?
Anne Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 11:05 AM   #18 (permalink)
The Cat

ktabic ... it'll be good to see you again ... if we all don't get losted in the hotel.

Ian .. see you at your launch/Dealers' Room.
Nesacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 12:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
Author and Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesacat View Post
Ian .. see you at your launch/Dealers' Room.
I look forward to it, Nesa!
Ian Whates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 12:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Bearly Believable

Complete noob question: when one "joins", is this the action that gives you access to the convention, or is there another step and payment? (By the way, I'm considering being there for the whole duration and my joining would be appropriate to that.)

(Yes, I'm almost sure I can attend. )
Ursa major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 12:33 PM   #21 (permalink)
Author and Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa major View Post
Complete noob question: when one "joins", is this the action that gives you access to the convention, or is there another step and payment? (By the way, I'm considering being there for the whole duration and my joining would be appropriate to that.)

(Yes, I'm almost sure I can attend. )
Hi, Ursa, yes, joining means you become a member and have full access to the con and all that goes on there. Look forward to seeing you there.
Old 14th March 2012, 12:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
Bearly Believable

Thanks.

Yes, and see you and (the other) Ian, and (I hope) everyone else there.
Old 14th March 2012, 12:41 PM   #23 (permalink)

The Rocket Science launch will be at 12 noon on the Sunday in the Tetworth room. There'll also be a "The Science of Rocket Science" panel at 3 pm that same day.

And, of course, I'll be at the BSFA Awards presentation, as I'm in the non-fiction shortlist.
iansales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 03:07 PM   #24 (permalink)
Fantastical historian

I shall be reading an excerpt from The Alchemist of Souls at 1pm on Saturday, also in the Tetworth Room, and I'm on at least 3 panels. Not sure what's happening re launching the book, but it will be on sale at the Angry Robot stall in the Dealers' Room.

And if you can't get to Eastercon, I'm doing a signing at Waterstones in Manchester on Saturday 31st March

http://angryrobotbooks.com/2012/03/a...le-march-31st/
Old 24th March 2012, 12:08 PM   #25 (permalink)
Bearly Believable

I downloaded the programme last night: it'll take until the opening day to work out where to go and when.

(I note, Anne, that for the panel, How Pseudo do you like your Medieval?, you're joined by GRRM, amongst others; a daunting prospect, perhaps, but also a great opportunity.)
Old 24th March 2012, 07:00 PM   #26 (permalink)
Fantastical historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa major View Post
(I note, Anne, that for the panel, How Pseudo do you like your Medieval?, you're joined by GRRM, amongst others; a daunting prospect, perhaps, but also a great opportunity.)
I know - I'm still pinching myself!

I'm glad I've had a little bit of panel practice at other conventions. It would be horribly daunting if it were my first. As it is, I'm looking forward to it - I have a reading and signing a hour after it ends, so it's fantastic publicity!
Old 24th March 2012, 09:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
Believer in flawed heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Lyle View Post
I have a reading and signing a hour after it ends, so it's fantastic publicity!
Well, Anne, two things.

First, with Alchemist of Souls released on the 5th, what if Amazon don't deliver my pre-ordered copy in time for me to take it and get it signed?

Maybe I'll just have to appear why you're appearing another time. Unless we should all just buy another copy at Heathrow, or copies for all our family members?

Second, it is amazing how much publicity I'm seeing for Alchemist of Souls!!! I can only assume this reflect the extent of Angry Robot's belief in the work, so well deserved.

"On a panel with GRRM" Sorry, at the thought I feel the need to lie down.

Coragem.
Coragem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 08:32 AM   #28 (permalink)
Fantastical historian

Quote:
First, with Alchemist of Souls released on the 5th, what if Amazon don't deliver my pre-ordered copy in time for me to take it and get it signed?
You should be OK - Amazon usually ship before the official release date (I'm reliably informed that The Book Depository already has it in stock). I wouldn't be surprised if most branches of Waterstones have them on the shelves by next Saturday. No point having stock taking up space in the stockroom when it could be on sale!

Quote:
Second, it is amazing how much publicity I'm seeing for Alchemist of Souls!!! I can only assume this reflect the extent of Angry Robot's belief in the work, so well deserved.
Thank you! I know they think it has good commercial potential, and their sales'n'marketing efforts have elicited some serious interest from bookshops and magazines

Quote:
"On a panel with GRRM" … Sorry, at the thought I feel the need to lie down.
Yeah, me too!
Old 29th March 2012, 02:08 PM   #29 (permalink)
Author and Editor

Just to point out to anyone thinking of nipping along to this year's Eastercon, Olympus, at the last minute, that the convention has announced this morning that memberships are closed, and that there will be no day memberships available on the door; they're full.

http://www.olympus2012.org/
Old 29th March 2012, 02:23 PM   #30 (permalink)
Bearly Believable

A question: are they laying in supplies of petrol (and diesel)?

A more serious question: is the programme likely to be subject to (published**) changes until the last minute, or is it normally fixed by, say, end of business Thursday the 5th?

** - As opposed to ad hoc changes caused by people scheduled to appear falling ill.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: