Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Discussion > Music

Music Music discussions - like and dislikes, favourite artists and bands, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th November 2011, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Happily Ever Aftering

Advice

Didnt quite know where to post this question, but here seemed most logical.

I would like to try voice acting, most of the places that are recruiting require you do your own demo tapes. I am a singer by nature (soprano, 1st) so I was thinking of doing up a sampling of songs.
What songs would you suggest? I would like to pull from different genres so I can showcase my versatility, but off the cuff I only know a "young girl in love" song and a "oh my heart is broken, the world is over" song that I could easily brush up to performance level.
A good lullaby and something serious-uplifting would be appreciated I think.
hopewrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 02:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Ants are my friends..

Re: Advice

avoid personality-based pop toneage and go for classic country/blues/soul and you can't lose.
- J.S. Inger
J Riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
resident pedantissimo

When you say 'voice acting' what precise market are you aiming for? The market for singing vocals – even backing vocals – is so oversubscribed that chance has a remarkable influence on the results. Not a good situation, if you're actually any good; people are paying to sing.

Most of the dubbing work goes to a rather small number of people who are known to be competent, many 'discovered' when they were doing ADR work on their own films. Which leaves what?

Radio drama; almost all the participants come out of drama schools. It's almost a union.
And (in Europe, at least) it's a small, badly paying market (but great fun).

Audiobooks; growing demand, contracts for best sellers normally go to known voices, television, some radio, some live theatre. Very complicated to set up as large numbers of different organisations have their finger in the pie.

Radio commercials for non-syndicated local stations.

Hospital and community radio - normally volunteer rather than paid, but can make contacts or gain experience.

Live performance; obviously still (or again) the principal showcase for musical skills.

Web announcements; every site I can think of with audio content is so amateurish with voiceovers this is a potential 'foot in the door' situation; but there's a sort of- 'anti-snobbery', do everything for free 'cause like this is the web- attitude to overcome.

I'd suggest contacting a couple of local recording studios – hey, we're not all ogres, even if we do have to explain to huge numbers of aspiring young musicians that, despite what their family's told them they do not have what it takes to survive on talent alone – and maybe some local TV stations. Don't be pushy, do be interested, and you can get lots of information about your local scene that I, on the other side of the planet, have no access to.
chrispenycate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 10:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Happily Ever Aftering

honestly i am willing to break into any of those, what i would like to end up in is animation, but i dont know if i have a wide enough array of voices. i can do about three distinct voices, any more then that and its just mater of combining what i have.
I would love to do Audio Books, having read to my son and several other children to some success, because I like books.

thank you for the advice, I will check with local radio and tv stations.
Old 5th December 2011, 10:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would suggest this one. Probably you can sing it also as one person, but sounds great, something between classical and folklore. I liked it very much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faKFcfytlxU
Forgotten Realms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
resident pedantissimo

Ah, animation. Yes, all the actresses want to do that. Do you have children's voices in your repertoire?
But, as an optimistic note the girl who sang the theme tune here:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQfw68mLgto (that's us for the sound)

had never done anything of the sort before, and was chosen because she could sing in French, English, German and Norwegian (that last not being critical for this project ). Not, unfortunately, Mandarin.
Old 6th December 2011, 07:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Happily Ever Aftering

I can do young really easy. Down to about 6ish anything younger sounds lolly and forced. Did quite a bit of lolly voice acting at one point in my life, but not in a situation I care to remember, at least not with any fondness.
I can make "breathy" charismatic, which I have yet to hear on video games that use breathy voices.

What is copy, and would I be better off writing my own or using someone else's? One of the voice over sites I looked at offered come copy free of charge for actors who hadn't written their own.

Last edited by hopewrites; 6th December 2011 at 07:41 PM. Reason: i can use capital letters...
Old 6th December 2011, 08:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
resident pedantissimo

Yes, I've got reams of stuff – in four languages – either in ring files or cluttering up my hard disk. I suspect most studios are the same; you do a job, and don't throw the hard copy away until it's on air; you never know when they might want to change something. Mostly commercials, industrial films, journalist voiceovers.

You want to demonstrate your strong points, and your versatility; home dubbing an animated cartoon might be a bit challenging (not to mention too long. Individual samples should be under a minute in length, to match the attention span of the average director).

When you do get work, get the techie to do you a copy of the final version, or at least enough to work as a demo; there is always an indefinable difference between a genuine take, and one recorded as a demonstration. Has your region got an actors' association, with its own website? If so, listen to the examples that are on it. Most of them will be mediocre to bad, but you can learn even from that; if nothing else, what the client expects.

You do your own recording, right? So you can do lots of tries to get things right (the other side of the coin is that you have nobody directing you, and are not getting training in the other invaluable skill; understanding what the client wants, when they can't explain it and probably aren't very clear on it themselves, and delivering that, even if it isn't the best that could be done), so the selections you give for any particular job can be tailored to the production.

Of course you can use capital letters; it's just homophones that give a few problems. And I don't bully you about many of them, do I?
Old 6th December 2011, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Happily Ever Aftering

no in fact a quote of yours is a favorite of mine when reminding myself to use them. "I because you are an important person" I believe it was, that's how it goes in my head anyway.

oh you mean homophones... no, I dont feel bullied at all by anyone really.
Old 6th December 2011, 09:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
If you see a stranger...

Have you checked freelanced.com? I just did a quick check and there are multiple small voiceover jobs available. Not real glamorous, like big cartoon productions or anything, but I bet if you landed a few jobs like that, you'd have resume fodder galore.
BookStop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 11:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thomas M. Grimes

Elance was the site I used when I was freelancing, has just about every sort of freelance job on it. There's also odesk, I think it's called, not looked into that.
TheTomG is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: