Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > General > The Lounge

The Lounge Take a chill pill and just relax in the general lounge area.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th October 2011, 12:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
This world is not my home

Re: Parson's Happy 100th

Karn said:

Quote:
I should be trying to lose weight myself, but, I can't do a four mile walk or anything like that, and I really don't consume too many calories each day, to be quite honest. At least, I don't think I do, and for breakfast I usually have a high-fiber cereal anyway.
Thanks for the kind wishes. I have two comments. One is "high fiber" is often high calories, so.... healthy, but..... The other is I would track the number of calories you eat by keeping a journal. It might surprise you how much you eat, amount and calorie denseness can vary greatly.

The Judge:
Quote:
Congratulations, Parson! I lost a lot of weight a few years back, almost entirely through exercise, but in the last couple of years it's started to creep back on again, and it's harder and harder to work off the weekend's excesses during the week. Must. Try. Harder.
Thanks your honor. I am sure you can do it. Anyone who made it through law school surely has the discipline needed if called upon.

Dusty Zebra
Quote:
Congratulations, Parson! Excellent work!
Thanks muchly..... watch the chocolate holidays.

Pyan
Quote:
Well done, Parson - it's stories like yours that make me determined to lose some of the 260 pounds I'm presently carrying about. My problem isn't so much the weight as the distribution - I'm over 6 feet tall, with broad shoulders, but it's the bay window at the front that I want to lose and 12 inches of the waistband sounds great. Thanks for telling me it can be done.
It can indeed be done. They tell me that if you keep track of everything you eat, you lose about a third more weight on average.
Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 12:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
The Wicked Sword Maiden

Well done, Parson!

I'm so glad that you no longer need insulin and that you feel so much better for the weight loss. It must be great to be able to enjoy your bike rides once again.

I lost 40 kilos last year but I see that the clothes in the wardrobe have shrunk again
Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 04:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
pixie druid

Congratulations Parson, that is some achievement
nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 03:12 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
Well done, Parson!

I'm so glad that you no longer need insulin and that you feel so much better for the weight loss. It must be great to be able to enjoy your bike rides once again.

I lost 40 kilos last year but I see that the clothes in the wardrobe have shrunk again
What is particularly great about the bike rides is that I take them with 2 of my grandkids. Those shrinking clothes are a real danger.

Nixie: Thanks for the kind words.
Old 26th October 2011, 08:33 AM   #20 (permalink)
Pretentious Avatar Alert.

Sterling stuff, chap!
J-WO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 09:52 AM   #21 (permalink)
Satisfied clients our aim

Well done, Parson, it's really hard to do, and stick to. Enjoy the grandkids!
springs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 03:59 PM   #22 (permalink)

J-Wo and Springs1971 Thanks for the good wishes. It keeps me fired up to do the walks and journaling of my calories.
Old 27th October 2011, 12:42 AM   #23 (permalink)
Crooked Warden

Congratulations Parsons! That is wonderful news!
Wybren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 02:13 AM   #24 (permalink)

Thanks Wy!
Old 27th October 2011, 07:10 PM   #25 (permalink)
Lochaber Axeman, QC

Parson, you are an inspiration, though I know you were not alone in your quest.

I'm carrying an extra 40 lbs. myself, though since I have cut back on my meals, I am not growing sideways anymore.

Next: exercise. Trouble is, I get hungry when I exercise. Really hungry. As in: steak and potatoes followed by apple pie kind of hungry.
Clansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 07:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
Lady of Autumn

Wow - congratulations, Parson! That's an impressive achievement, and very inspiring!
Talysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 07:53 PM   #27 (permalink)

Yeah that's great news Parson. I wish you all the best in hitting your next target.
Rangerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 09:17 PM   #28 (permalink)
resident pedantissimo

And there's me feeling proud at having lost (and kept lost for six months) six kilos (about a stone – oh, you don't know what stones are over there, either? An eighth of a hundredweight. Nothing, compared to yours).
chrispenycate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 10:10 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clansman View Post
Parson, you are an inspiration, though I know you were not alone in your quest.

I'm carrying an extra 40 lbs. myself, though since I have cut back on my meals, I am not growing sideways anymore.

Next: exercise. Trouble is, I get hungry when I exercise. Really hungry. As in: steak and potatoes followed by apple pie kind of hungry.
Thanks Clansman, we are never alone actually. The steak and potatoes aren't too bad. It depends on how you top the potatoes. The Apple Pie, though, that should be a rare treat. (Easier said than done!)

Talysia:
Quote:
Wow - congratulations, Parson! That's an impressive achievement, and very inspiring!
Thank you kindly. It is hard to be impressed with yourself. My default is more like "If I can do it, absolutely anyone can do it."

Rangerton:
Quote:
Yeah that's great news Parson. I wish you all the best in hitting your next target.
Thanks. I've had a good couple of days and now am down 103 lbs. Seventeen left before 120. Hoping for 120 off by Jan. 1.

Chrispenycate:

Quote:
And there's me feeling proud at having lost (and kept lost for six months) six kilos (about a stone oh, you don't know what stones are over there, either? An eighth of a hundredweight. Nothing, compared to yours).
You should feel good about that loss. Six Kilos (13.2 lbs roughly) is not easy to lose and much harder to keep off for time. Congratulations! My Nutritionist says that 95% of people who lose weight solely on their own will have it all back on in 5 years. Maintenance is key for a healthy weight.

**See we can do Kilos here in the states.
Old 28th October 2011, 04:18 PM   #30 (permalink)
If you see a stranger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HareBrain View Post
Something for chocoholics to consider: a large portion of one's calorie expenditure goes on maintaining body temperature. The colder it gets, the more calories you burn. Keeping the house unheated in winter not only burns more calories, but saves you money you can then spend on more chocolate!
I like the way you think! *scuttles off to turn the heat waaaay down*

Parson - since the band prevents you from eating large quantities at a time, do you "snack" all through the day? By snack I mean, really small portions of meals?

When I started losing weight, I got into the rut of eating about 100-150c snacks every 2 hours. The weight sure did drop, but I had to stop that behavior once I started actually adding the calories as I came up way short most days. Now I eat, and have been for nearly 2 years, first breakfast 100-200cal, second breakfast 100cal, lunch 300-400cal, snack 200cal, dinner 300-500cal, snack 100cal. Sounds crazy, I know, but my calories are maintained int he 1300cal range even with all the snacking.

I think it's a better choice than the 3 meal average of many.
BookStop is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: