Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Aspiring Writers > General Writing Discussion

General Writing Discussion For aspiring writers of science fiction and fantasy to discuss issues of writing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th November 2011, 09:30 PM   #61 (permalink)
Kraken Addict

Re: nanowrimo 2011

You're all doing really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbat View Post
I passed 20K yesterday, but Thatollie just keeps moving ahead.
Got two days off work this week, so I might be able to dedicate some real time to it.
This is my sixth nano, I've learnt a thing or two. Most of those things are just variations on how to start writing as soon as I turn on the computer and not stop until I'm done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyaKimlin View Post
Ugh well my detective story in Copenhagen about a serial killer is now a story set in my fake North Yorkshire (sort of Castle Howard area shoved closer to Whitby ) and is about the rape of the son of a senior police officer. Why I ever even thought my characters would let me plan a story I have no idea.

To be honest getting it finished with a good story is the most important bit - it's been an emotional day with my writering.
You have to do what's right for your story, good luck with the new idea. I get around planning angst by not doing any.
thatollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 11:04 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatollie View Post
You're all doing really well.

You have to do what's right for your story, good luck with the new idea. I get around planning angst by not doing any.

I'm back upto to 10K not bad considering (although still counting the other one). Hows yours doing ?

I didn't plan deliberatly - I had a week between projects and I am not good at not writing. So I put together my scrapbook and playlist. A week of that I was sure I knew the story pretty well lol Nope why do I think I am the one writing my stories lol ? This one is I think the best thing I've ever written or will be when it is rewritten. The story is blowing me away as I write it. (does that sound big headed? Probably does I actually quite like my own stuff )

Actually NaNo has produced four of my very best stories (I wrote two for the camps in the summer).
AnyaKimlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 08:28 AM   #63 (permalink)
Kraken Addict

I'm up to 33K, but I've been challenged to hit 50 by the 15th. Not sure I'm going to make it.
Old 16th November 2011, 09:15 AM   #64 (permalink)
Luna tick

Well you didn't make 50K, pretty close to 40K
I have to say Thatollie and Perp (and myself) are doing very well. I thought my story might not even make it to 50K, but I've got a fair way to go and only 13K left to reach the target.
I'm looking forward to completing it and starting the first of numerous re-writes.
Moonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 09:44 AM   #65 (permalink)
Former Comment Giver

I agree Moonbat, I'm pretty pleased how we are all doing. I think having other people there has helped immensely.

Like you I was worried about whether my story would stretch to the 50,000 word target, now I'm worrying whether it's going to stop...
Perpetual Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 05:15 PM   #66 (permalink)
Luna tick

I just took the lead at 40066 words, though I expect Perp has over taken me by the time he reads this.
Thatollie had been leading from the start but seems to have slowed, he probably going to upgrade his word count to 50000 in the next few minutes.

I think I'm done for the day, but 40000 words in 16 days is much more than I thought I could achieve.
Moonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 06:27 PM   #67 (permalink)
Kraken Addict

I'm over 40K.
Old 16th November 2011, 06:53 PM   #68 (permalink)
Former Comment Giver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbat View Post
I just took the lead at 40066 words, though I expect Perp has over taken me by the time he reads this.
Thatollie had been leading from the start but seems to have slowed, he probably going to upgrade his word count to 50000 in the next few minutes.

I think I'm done for the day, but 40000 words in 16 days is much more than I thought I could achieve.
I don't know, I rounded down when I put my latest word count up, just sorted that out and there we go.

Probably not going to do any more until tomorrow. I've been quite lucky in that I've been printing at work, which means I can write while the printers are chugging away.

That ends tomorrow when it's back to tea breaks and anything else I can grab. I have felt that the closer to the end I get, the faster I go all the threads coming together.

As for tonight there is a 75 word story that I need to look at.
Old 16th November 2011, 09:07 PM   #69 (permalink)

Everyone has great totals !!

Lost 4,000 words today - it was the most difficult bit of the story for me to write as well. (sounds silly but character loses his confidence cuts his hair and starts wearing different clothes -- given the character it's heartbreaking).

Oh well lol Normally I don't mind a rewrite just not looking forward to this one.
Old 16th November 2011, 09:38 PM   #70 (permalink)
Former Comment Giver

You certainly seem to be keeping up Anya, and not scared of cutting bits and pieces when it's needed. Wish I could do that.
Old 16th November 2011, 11:23 PM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetual Man View Post
You certainly seem to be keeping up Anya, and not scared of cutting bits and pieces when it's needed. Wish I could do that.
Do you struggle deleting bits?

I'm very zen with my writing lol (just wish I could carry it through the rest of my life). I need a clean slate to work on. My husband also writes and my addiction to the delete key terrfies him -- he says it borders on OCD and wishes I could get that way about the house lol.

He's never forgiven me for taking out 40,000 words of a at the time 60,000 word novel. I'd changed the falcon that my main character changes into. It had been a brown peregrine falcon -- I changed it to a large white gyr falcon (stunning birds). I'm glad I did it though the falcon became more a symbol in the book and the whole world changed so it fitted better. It's such a major part of the book it needed it. He still thinks I should have just changed the falcon's colour

But this scene I would liked to have never had to write again. Normally I don't regret losing things but my character Tim is different to the others I am more protective of him and don't like upsetting him. He has big brown eyes and looks pathetic when he is upset. (He's spending most of this story that way).
Old 17th November 2011, 04:12 PM   #72 (permalink)
Former Comment Giver

Well as long as you are enjoying yourself, there is nothing wrong with chopping and changing to your hearts delight.

I read a few excerpts from my attempt to Mrs Perp. last night, and the number of silly mistakes I found were unbelievable - including one really scary bit, where in one paragraph I made a big deal of a character escaping from her seatbelt after a car accident, then in the next paragraph she was still trapped, and the buckle broken so it would not undo - and I had not even taken a break in between paragraphs.

I'm really flying now as I head toward the grand conclusion - hope I'm able to maintain it and then I have time to go back and iron out any wrinkles (but not delete 40,000 words!!)

Nothing wrong with a character called Tim, great name for a character that. Nope, can't argue at all!
Old 17th November 2011, 05:00 PM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetual Man View Post
Well as long as you are enjoying yourself, there is nothing wrong with chopping and changing to your hearts delight.
Oh yes - I find writing a great deal of fun !! Which wasn't what I expected - I started later in life having had no urge before. Have you been writing a long time? And have I asked you that before? If I have I'm sorry I have a brain like a leaky kettle.

Quote:
I read a few excerpts from my attempt to Mrs Perp. last night, and the number of silly mistakes I found were unbelievable - including one really scary bit, where in one paragraph I made a big deal of a character escaping from her seatbelt after a car accident, then in the next paragraph she was still trapped, and the buckle broken so it would not undo - and I had not even taken a break in between paragraphs.
Those sort of things tend to happen a lot in the first draft, yours sounds tidier than mine usually are. I tend to just bin them and start again - it's easier than editing it.

Quote:
I'm really flying now as I head toward the grand conclusion - hope I'm able to maintain it and then I have time to go back and iron out any wrinkles (but not delete 40,000 words!!)
That's just me being weird - I have this bizarre fixation with the story not being patched Good luck with reaching it - if you get stuck holler and I'll give you a kick up the bum to get it done.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with a character called Tim, great name for a character that. Nope, can't argue at all!
LOL hmm I wonder why ? Tim is a sweetheart of a character, happy go lucky wears T-shirts and underpants with crude slogans on them. Has thick curly hair, big brown eyes. *sniff* and this book I did something really horrific to him. I created his partner Joe to take this kind of heat which he has done very well in previous stories, but it is very much Tim's turn.
Old 17th November 2011, 09:32 PM   #74 (permalink)
Former Comment Giver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyaKimlin View Post
Oh yes - I find writing a great deal of fun !! Which wasn't what I expected - I started later in life having had no urge before. Have you been writing a long time? And have I asked you that before? If I have I'm sorry I have a brain like a leaky kettle.

One way or another I've been writing all my life - I used to draw (and write comics) for my friend as far back as I can remember, and after that my best friend and I were always writing stories for one another and others. I wrote shorts and comics for small press publications, and then after series of some unfortunate and fortunate events I sort of stopped. It's only the last year I started really trying again. (Thanks to a few people here)

Those sort of things tend to happen a lot in the first draft, yours sounds tidier than mine usually are. I tend to just bin them and start again - it's easier than editing it.

LOL hmm I wonder why ? Tim is a sweetheart of a character, happy go lucky wears T-shirts and underpants with crude slogans on them. Has thick curly hair, big brown eyes. *sniff* and this book I did something really horrific to him. I created his partner Joe to take this kind of heat which he has done very well in previous stories, but it is very much Tim's turn.
Hmmm, why indeed I wonder what name lurks behind Perpetual?
Old 17th November 2011, 10:52 PM   #75 (permalink)

I wish I could draw I envy you. My naughty fairies, and my Sherlock Foam would make great comics, but stick figures are beyond me. It must make your writing easier to be able to come up with images ? I have to rely on google for mine.

And Tim is a fantastic name

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: