Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > General > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself here and be officially welcomed!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th October 2011, 03:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Happily Ever Aftering

belated hello from a shy girl

so it took me a day to wander all the way down here from the writers lounge where google dropped me off when i asked it for a good place to met other sci-fi/fantasy writers. and while i am embarrassed by the delay i cant say its that bad of a thing.

About me? well i started reading at the age of 8. my aunt gave me a set of Chronicles of Narnia for my birthday, and i didnt understand the half of it (because i was still skipping prologs at the time). but what i did get i loved and dyslexic or not i was going to learn to read if it opened doors to magical lands where i could live and breath in the freedom of my imagination.
as a result of my dedicated love of fiction i have only been a resident of Earth for about 3 years now, i moved here from Narnia, Pern, and many other magical places. and while the adjustment and culture shock are not quite as bad as i had always feared they would be, and i'm even starting to feel at home here, there are still days (weeks even) when i hop a ride back "home" via any comfy surface with semi-adequate lighting.
i did some writing in high school but mostly just mini fictions or dream diary's to entertain what few friends i had. it wasnt until just before i moved back to earth that i started taking my writing seriously and at that i had the backing of a mob of friends who bashed into my brain that small obstacles like spelling and grammar should not bar my imagination from the world. that i was too creative to let minor technicalities such as not knowing how to spell 9/10th of my vocabulary get in my way.

i still get into frequent arguments with spell check because my spelling is as creative as the rest of my writing (i never did understand how to apply phonics to English.) and you'll note my distressing lack of capitals and horrendous punctuation. to my current lamentation i put all my emphasis on my vocal understanding of communication and have only lately become interested in how to translate that understanding to text.

to bring this humorous rendition of "my life" to a close i would like only to add that i am very glad google dropped me off here, i am making my self quite at home, and have already benefited from some delightful advice from your very helpful and encouraging members.
hopewrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 03:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: belated hello from a shy girl

Welcome Hopewrites. Remember what the old Greek said: What we need to learn to do we learn by doing.
telford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 07:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
SF Author

Welcome! It's always nice to see my fellow SF writers giving this beat up old universe a run for it's money by continuing to exist I hope you find a lot of good times and support here
DrMclony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Welcome to the Chrons! I started with my sister reading the Narnia books to me, when I was knee high to a grasshopper, and have come the Fantasy route via SciFi, so there's hope (!) yet.... Enjoy. (And btw, why does Oregon still insist that someone else fills your car with gas? On a bike trip recently, they have to hand the pump to you, at least.)
Boneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Happily Ever Aftering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneman View Post
(And btw, why does Oregon still insist that someone else fills your car with gas? On a bike trip recently, they have to hand the pump to you, at least.)
its a "fantastic" state mandate that keeps thousands of people employed thus generating revenue for our "tax-happy" state.
i read once, i forget where, that Oregonians were payed the most in taxes of anywhere else. we keep voting out the idea of paying a sales tax as well so that might have changed since i read it.

probably one of the reasons we are also so very very bike friendly. who wants to wait in line at the pump?
Old 8th October 2011, 02:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mad Mountain Man

Hello and welcome along. You'd better watch it when Chrispy gets a hold of your grammar But I sympathise, I sometimes think it would be easier to learn a new language than to learn all the rules of grammar.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
This world is not my home

Felicitations from the resident Parson. When I dropped in here, what 6 years ago?!!, I thought I was one of the most ardent SF readers around. Coming here let me know that I was sooooo wrong. But this is a friendly place for readers and writers. Have you checked out the Writer's Challenges? We are in the middle of a monthly 75 word challenge and a 300 word challenge is beginning. Read them and post if you'd like, you'll get some really good experience.

http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum...enge-read.html

http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum...ead-first.html
Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 06:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Scottish Roman

Hi and welcome aboard. You should see Freda's spelling, but we love her anyway (most of the time, just lock up your pringles).

Oh yes, welcome aboard.
The Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
King Harvey Basset R.I.P

Welcome from another shy person. I'm probably the most shy person here
Gary Compton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 11:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Happily Ever Aftering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Compton View Post
Welcome from another shy person. I'm probably the most shy person here
why does that sound like a challenge? *giggle eyes*
thank you for the kind welcome
Old 10th October 2011, 12:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

Welcome to the Chrons, hopewrites.

Read, post,discuss, enjoy - there's so many ways to go from here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Windswept
I'm probably the most shy person here
And I'm the Queen of Sheba...
pyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 12:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
King Harvey Basset R.I.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyan View Post
And I'm the Queen of Sheba...
I knew you liked wearing womans clothes but Queen I dont think so.

By the way is Sheba a suberb of Southampton
Gary Compton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 04:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
resident pedantissimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
Hello and welcome along. You'd better watch it when Chrispy gets a hold of your grammar But I sympathise, I sometimes think it would be easier to learn a new language than to learn all the rules of grammar.
Ah, good, someone did warn her before I critiqued her piece.

Hello, welcome home. Most of this place protrudes outside reality, and several of the residents are a bit strange, so you should integrate instinctively. Did you leave plenty of food and water for the cat, and a clean sandbox? Visits here can be protracted, and the timeflow discrepancy here is in the opposite direction to Narnia or Wonderland; just stop for one little welcoming thread and a half hour, or half a day, has passed in Mundania.

I don't think English spelling and phonetics have more than a nodding relationship. Indeed, seeing that all laws of spelling have exceptions, I'm not convinced English gas any desire to conform to any logical structure at all; it is enchained, circumscribed and imprisoned by pedants like myself, but ultimately not controlled; we might believe universal communication to be a worthwhile goal, and the primary purpose of symbolic structured prose, but it is clear that the wider social gestalt considers confusion and obfuscation more important. As symbolised by L33t, and phone messages.

Beware; a solid clique (the noise made by chinese door opening) of rabid grammatical brownshirts is assembling here, plotting the reinstatement of the semicolon…
chrispenycate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 04:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Thomas M. Grimes

An belated welcome from me! I will use as an excuse the fact that I have been in Spain and only just returned, and while I have on occasion ventured back into the realms of the Chrons via mobile phone, such visits were limited by the nature of the portal used to get in here.
TheTomG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 03:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Happily Ever Aftering

Some where I had/have a D&D character sheet with a human ranger who speaks L33t. But only because she was too intelligent and could know more languages then she should have, and the audacity i had in putting it on my CS made my DM laugh.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: