Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > General > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself here and be officially welcomed!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th September 2011, 11:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

South West, UK Newbie - Be Gentle..

Just want to introduce myself,

I'm from the UK near the Welsh Border and Birmingham.

I've always been a Science fiction fan watching the old shows like Land of the Giants, TIme Tunnel, Quantum Leap, Star Trek, etc with my dad.

In terms of books, again I've been in the horror/sci-fi/fantasy camp reading books such as the Steve Jackson-Ian Livingstone Fighting Fantasy series, Xanth but my first love has always been the Dune series. I love the complex layers that the series present.

I love reading and I've even got my 2 year old son into reading, he likes nothing more than for me to sit down with him and read. He is content in sitting down with a book and reading (even reads aloud to me ).

In fact, a science fiction story aimed at him was my inspiration to start writing. I want to create a story that he can be proud of in years to come.

I've never writing anything creative although I do have alot of ideas in my head that I want to get down. So now I aiming to write these ideas and stories on paper in a sense of order.

I have loads to learn but already I am learning how you can cut out words from a sentence and still have the original meaning be stronger. I still have loads to learn about punctuation but most of all, I am here to have fun and delve into the community of the SFF Chronicles.
Decosta1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 12:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Thomas M. Grimes

Re: South West, UK Newbie - Be Gentle..

Fun and delving! You are in the right place for both. Prepare to delve and have fun like never before!

For writing practice and inspiration, the 75 word challenges are awesome (they make good reading too if you don't want to take part.) Definitely gets you good at that cutting words out of sentences thing, heh.

Anyway, welcome, welcome, welcome, hope you enjoy your time here in the Chrons (reality you can rely on!)
TheTomG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, I'll give the 75 word challenges a try.

I'm on another forum where there is an exercise to tell a story with just dialogue (without adding the he said,she said).

All interesting exercises.

On another note, my Kindle died
Decosta1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear about your Kindle. Is there an obvious reason (using it to fend off an angry badger, for example) or is it a fit of electronic petulance?
thaddeus6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mad Mountain Man

Hi and welcome Decosta. Sorry to hear about your Kindle, my Sony died about 6 months after I got it and Sony were very quick to fix it. Worth noting that I didn't lose anything that was on it in the process, though I had back ups anyway.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 03:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hi and welcome Decosta! My Kindle is still going strong (great little piece of kit!), hopefully it lasts for a while yet. I saw that Barnes and Noble have an e-book reader of their own now called the Nook (not sure if it's compatible with Whispernet though).
Varangian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 03:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mad Mountain Man

B&N's Nook actually predates the Kindle and is not compatible with anything to do with Amazon so it doesn't use Whispernet, though I think B&N have something similar, and it also does not work with the Amazon AZW format but rather (and better IMHO) works with standard formats such as ePub just like the Sony.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: