Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Discussion > World affairs

World affairs News and political events for discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th July 2011, 05:16 PM   #61 (permalink)
Bearly Believable

Re: Newspaper Reaches New Low...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaddeus6th View Post
It'll take longer than that. If nothing else, they'll want to leave it a while so it doesn't get immediately tarred with the same brush.
You're probably correct.

Quote:
I feel rather sorry for the many entirely innocent staff at the paper, who have just lost their jobs for something with which they had nothing to do.
But as has been mentioned already in the media, it may save the skin of the Chairman and Chief Executive of News Corporation, Europe and Asia**.

** - It's probably not important, but his name is James Murdoch.
Ursa major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 05:17 PM   #62 (permalink)
This world is not my home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clansman View Post
BTW, this is international news, now. It air on Canada's flagship news program, The National, on July 5, as the second story.
Here in the States too. I don't watch much/any national news (I can't stand the left wing prejudice) but I did see it as a run across the bottom of our local news cast.
Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 05:17 PM   #63 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

Quote:
I feel rather sorry for the many entirely innocent staff at the paper, who have just lost their jobs for something with which they had nothing to do.
As opposed to Rebekah Brooks, who was the editor at the time, but seems to be Teflon-coated and staying as News International CEO...

Discussion on the BBC website at the moment that it's a grand gesture by Murdoch to try to save the BSB News takeover by NI.
pyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 05:24 PM   #64 (permalink)
Left-minded

I'd like to say I'm astonished, but I expect - as has already been suggested - that this is just an attempt to fend off criticism of the BSkyB takeover, and in short order we'll end up with The Scum on Sunday. But we'll see.

BTW, apparently all proceeds of this weekend's edition will go to charity. They really are trying on the old hair shirt, aren't they?
Tillane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 05:27 PM   #65 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaddeus6th
Quote:
A spokeswoman for News International says the News of the World employs 200 people. Refusing to comment on how many would be made redundant, she said: "They will be invited to apply for other jobs in the company".
BBC News
Old 7th July 2011, 06:08 PM   #66 (permalink)
Wherever I Am, I'm There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa major View Post
So will we see the Sun on Sunday in ten days' time or the Sunday Sun?
The 200 people will be re-employed, News International will takeover BSkyB, all the terrible things will be forgotten, and everyone will live happily ever after.
Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 06:47 PM   #67 (permalink)
still alive

still not buying their papers or their satellite tv.

but no, this will change nothing in the long run.

and news of the screws will be resurrected in a clever retro move before the decade is out.
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 07:00 PM   #68 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The 200 people will be re-employed, News International will takeover BSkyB, all the terrible things will be forgotten, and everyone will live happily ever after.
Cynical, but, I suspect, essentially true and exactly what Murdoch is aiming for...
Old 7th July 2011, 07:16 PM   #69 (permalink)
Never Sure

Quote:
... It's a sly move ..
Tactical, clever and completely ruthless ...
RJM Corbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 07:34 PM   #70 (permalink)
Bearly Believable

So to whom will we give the nickname, BSlyB?

(Oh, and apparently two domain names, along the lines of sunonsunday.co.uk and sunonsunday.com, we purchased a couple of days ago.)

Last edited by Ursa major; 7th July 2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Making the grammar less bad
Old 7th July 2011, 07:40 PM   #71 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

Yeah, just come across that myself -- 5th July, those two names just happen to get registered. People seem to have already accepted that such a newspaper will be appearing before long.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 07:53 PM   #72 (permalink)
Bearly Believable

And what about Coulson? Was he economical with the truth in Tommy Sheridan's trial for perjury? Could Coulson be gaoled, and for perjury, for his testimony in that case?

Last edited by Ursa major; 7th July 2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 7th July 2011, 08:05 PM   #73 (permalink)
Assonance rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ace View Post

The sooner somebody firebombs that sh*thole, the better.
In a way, that's what's happened. Under intense pressure, the Murdoch Army blow up their indefensible hideout, causing such a big bang that they hope their opponents will forgot about taking out the leader. However, under the cover of darkness, they'll regroup and retake the position, wearing slightly different colour uniforms.

I wonder what the last NOTW will have on the cover; an apology, or a chest-thumping celebration of their years of "achievement".
alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 08:09 PM   #74 (permalink)
still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemist View Post
I wonder what the last NOTW will have on the cover; an apology, or a chest-thumping celebration of their years of "achievement".
i go with coulson and brooks - a big pair of.....
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 09:16 AM   #75 (permalink)
Luna tick

Well, quite a shock to hear that the NOTW is to be closed, it seems a bit left field, almost certainly a diversionary tactic. Can you believe the NOTW (in one form or another) has been around for 168 years! What a shame to let it die like this.

also heard this morning that Mr Coulson is due to be arrested today, which is probably what Mr Murdoch wanted, in some attempt to turn attention away from himself, his BslyB takeover and Mrs Brooks.

I used to check the sun website each lunchtime (briefly) before going on the Guardian website, but I've been boycotting it for a few days, so now I'm tempted to buy the last ever edition of the NOTW, I'm wondering how nostalgic it'll be, and it might be a collectors item/interesting piece of history. I reckon they will get bumper sales this weekend.

I have a theory on why Mrs Brooks is being protected, I'm not sure but I've heard that Mr Murdoch is a ruthless businessman, not known for his loyalty and honor, so I think that the reason he is protecting Mrs Brooks is down to protecting himself, maybe she has intimate knowledge of some of his darker dealings, and if he were to push her into the line of fire, she would deflect far too many bullets his way. It's not in his chracter to lose a best selling paper and take so much heat just because he likes someone, it must have made business sense to close down his first UK paper, fire 200 staff but keep Mrs Brooks on, and I can only presume that it is because firing her would cost him more (possibly his entire empire/freedom).

anyway, this scandal just keeps on going, it'll be interesting to see what comes next. Or who goes!
Moonbat is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: