Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Discussion > Science / Nature

Science / Nature Messageboards for discussing all aspects of science, the environment of our world, and the scientific exploration of it.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th June 2011, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Never Sure
 
RJM Corbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Devon
Posts: 1,780
Blog Entries: 12
Mars features caused by electricity not water

These two videos are scientific and convincing. Water erosion is not a wholly convincing candidate for the features on Mars. Electric arcs in laboratories cause exactly the type of effects observed on the Martian surface?

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_T6_...yer_detailpage

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-qrn...yer_detailpage

Sorry, but these two 20 minute videos got lost in the wash in the crop circles thread and I think they deserve their own. Part one is more general, part two more specific ...
RJM Corbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Nik
Speaker to Cats
 
Nik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK: ENGLAND:
Posts: 1,484
Re: Mars features caused by electricity not water

Once again, my paranoid fire-wall has taken exception...

( Hey, yesterday, it slapped down an apparently innocent site for having a virulent root-kit infestation, so I can't complain ;-)

Would these electric features match the scale of the Martian landscape ? Were these videos taken by lander/rover ? As far as I remember, the orbiters' best resolution was about 1 metre^2 per pixel. eg an orbiter saw a lander's parachute, glimpsed linear features due wheel ruts of rovers, glimpsed rovers' solar panels...
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Never Sure
 
RJM Corbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Devon
Posts: 1,780
Blog Entries: 12
Re: Mars features caused by electricity not water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
Once again, my paranoid fire-wall has taken exception...

( Hey, yesterday, it slapped down an apparently innocent site for having a virulent root-kit infestation, so I can't complain ;-)

Would these electric features match the scale of the Martian landscape ? Were these videos taken by lander/rover ? As far as I remember, the orbiters' best resolution was about 1 metre^2 per pixel. eg an orbiter saw a lander's parachute, glimpsed linear features due wheel ruts of rovers, glimpsed rovers' solar panels...
You Tube search: 'The Lightening Scarred Planet Mars'

No, it's not essentially Rover data. I don't know about the images you're referring to? But the surface of Mars has by now been photographed in close high resolution. 1 meter per 2 pixel? Maybe. But surely that's good enough? Like the well known one of the Rover on the edge of the Victoria crater? Yes, that type of resolution.

Anyway, no secret conspiracy theories -- the images are easily available everywhere. The channels on Mars observed by Orbiter are far more like the dendritic scarring caused by lightening or the scalloped multiple-crater channels created an electric welder, than water channels. The video examines them quite carefully ...

Last edited by RJM Corbet; 24th June 2011 at 01:57 PM.
RJM Corbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 09:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Ants are my friends..
 
J Riff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,076
Re: Mars features caused by electricity not water

Oh stop. Please.
I sat and watched the original photos worked on.
When she started slapping those weird black lines on various pics, I sneered openly, thinking it wouldn't fool a child.
Have they really digitized the whole place for GooGoo Mars? I've never looked. A lot of work for a photoshop wizard, one more lie added to the mountain.
J Riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 11:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Never Sure
 
RJM Corbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Devon
Posts: 1,780
Blog Entries: 12
Re: Mars features caused by electricity not water

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Riff View Post
Oh stop. Please.
I sat and watched the original photos worked on.
When she started slapping those weird black lines on various pics, I sneered openly, thinking it wouldn't fool a child.
Have they really digitized the whole place for GooGoo Mars? I've never looked. A lot of work for a photoshop wizard, one more lie added to the mountain.
There is water on Mars, and I don't know what else. There may even be life on Mars. Who knows yet? But it doesn't seem to be water that caused that scarring of Mars' surface -- electricity may be a more likely explanation. There are canyons there a-third of a planet long ...
RJM Corbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cave Painter
 
Metryq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 940
Re: Mars features caused by electricity not water

Interesting. I haven't watched part two yet, but the theory requires an electrical source. The Io flux tube produces discharges that would dwarf terrestrial power stations. If Io shows similar patterns, they probably do not last very long on Io's dynamic surface. Still, it leaves one wondering when and how Mars got zapped.

(I am not a fan of the theory that the planets of our Solar system accreted in place, and Hans Alfven's strictly plasma model does not cover all the potential problems, such as the conservation of momentum in the system. The reality may turn out to be a combination of the various models that have been proposed. In regard to Mars, the planet may show both electrical and erosional patterns.)

The comparison with micro patterns developed in a lab is not proof any more than Hans Alfven's plasma experiments were proof of galaxy formation. But it does open a possible avenue for exploration. Does this have anything to do with other fractal patterns found in nature? Did god shuffle his feet on a cosmic carpet and then touch Mars on the nose? (The cat hates that, but she'll lean forward every time to inspect my finger.)
Metryq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 03:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Never Sure
 
RJM Corbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Devon
Posts: 1,780
Blog Entries: 12
Re: Mars features caused by electricity not water

Yes, well that's the obvious question: what did that huge electric arc come from?

Some of those dendritic scars, on crater walls, for instance, are raised, not cut in ...

Last edited by RJM Corbet; 25th June 2011 at 03:35 PM.
RJM Corbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cave Painter
 
Metryq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 940
Re: Mars features caused by electricity not water

It was the super-bomb that wiped out the entire Martian civilization and razed everything on the surface with a global plasma—an early prototype of Mr. Gazoo's "little orange button no bigger than your fingernail."


Or perhaps the "fission" model of planetary formation is correct. (The basic idea is that as the Solar nebula contracted, the central mass would spin faster and faster. Ultimately centrifugal force would blow that mass apart, unless it fissioned off blobs of matter that became the planets. If the blobs were tossed off symmetrically, you'd end up with pairs of planets: Uranus and Neptune, Jupiter and Saturn, Mars and "Planet 5" where the asteroids are now, and Earth and Venus. The fissioned bodies would have cometary orbits at first that would circularize in time.)

Moving sunward, the Jovian planets get bigger until Jupiter, then there's a sudden drop-off. Is that when the Sun ignited, and the terrestrials were the last "blobs" of matter thrown off? If there was a flux tube similar to the one between Jupiter and Io, perhaps the Sun scarred Mars while it was closer. Earth and Venus do not show such scarring due to weathering and other erosion. And Mercury? It's awfully small. Maybe it was a moon of Venus, thus making Earth and Venus truly sister planets. Some early catastrophe tore Mercury free and gave Venus its retrograde rotation. The same catastrophe might have created a shower of debris from that moon's own matter, which formed Mercury's intense cratering when the debris rained back down.
Metryq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 11:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Ants are my friends..
 
J Riff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,076
Re: Mars features caused by electricity not water

Mars is probably better than it was in the seventies, it couldn't be much worse, but I wouldn''t be worrying about them. There's been contamination of the Earth while everyone waits for the big lie experts to tell you the next one.
Nobody under 21 should even be told about Mars... that was the idea, but it's no longer any good. The reason is: People are no good.
Sorry kids, it's really true. There's no 'we' - no such thing as humanity at this level, just scrabbling gangs who will sell out their friends and family in an instant for a slice of the big pie.
Imagine, I mean think about it - alien tech. How much is that worth?
Worth more than everything else put together.
So if it exists, they've got it, long ago. This may be what 2012 will signify - the shock/horror of realizing it's all over already, and military/drug gangs have been hacking up the profits all along.
Of course it's much worse than just that.
J Riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 11:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Benevolent Galaxy Being
 
Starbeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,342
Re: Mars features caused by electricity not water

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM Corbet View Post
These two videos are scientific and convincing. Water erosion is not a wholly convincing candidate for the features on Mars. Electric arcs in laboratories cause exactly the type of effects observed on the Martian surface?
There would have to be some gargantuan amounts of electrical power blasting Mars, it just doesn't gel with me. It all sounds too hokey.
Starbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 01:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cave Painter
 
Metryq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 940
Re: Mars features caused by electricity not water

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Riff View Post
Mars is probably better than it was in the seventies, it couldn't be much worse, but I wouldn''t be worrying about them. There's been contamination of the Earth while everyone waits for the big lie experts to tell you the next one.
Nobody under 21 should even be told about Mars... that was the idea, but it's no longer any good. The reason is: People are no good.
Sorry kids, it's really true. There's no 'we' - no such thing as humanity at this level, just scrabbling gangs who will sell out their friends and family in an instant for a slice of the big pie.
Imagine, I mean think about it - alien tech. How much is that worth?
Worth more than everything else put together.
So if it exists, they've got it, long ago. This may be what 2012 will signify - the shock/horror of realizing it's all over already, and military/drug gangs have been hacking up the profits all along.
Of course it's much worse than just that.
Hello? What's all of this? And meanwhile we were being threatened with a lock-down the next thread over for going "off-topic."
Metryq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 01:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
The Ants are my friends..
 
J Riff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,076
Re: Mars features caused by electricity not water

Well. Better safe than sorry. Mars is so fabulous it hurts to even think about it. We are indeed lucky little proto-units, to live next to such a beautiful crazy planet.
Our fabulous, incredible, unbelievable sister planet.
Earth is not too shabby either, but I'm a big fan of wild terrain and caves.
J Riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 05:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Never Sure
 
RJM Corbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Devon
Posts: 1,780
Blog Entries: 12
Re: Mars features caused by electricity not water

There's talk about the huge dust storms on Mars, where the iron-rich dust is whirled into tornadoes 100 times bigger than those on earth, and which last for days -- generating electric arcs, with opposite charge, depending which way they spin? Or flat-storms, where the dust blows for days across the surface, at huge speeds and for days, also causing electricity by friction. Seems to make some kind of sense?
RJM Corbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 07:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
Never Sure
 
RJM Corbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Devon
Posts: 1,780
Blog Entries: 12
Re: Mars features caused by electricity not water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbeast View Post
There would have to be some gargantuan amounts of electrical power blasting Mars, it just doesn't gel with me. It all sounds too hokey.
The Martian atmosphere also produces a 'natural laser' effect in at least one area. See link:

http://laserstars.org/history/mars.html

If anyone's interested in more about this, please see new thread: Laser Stars in Science/Nature forum

Last edited by RJM Corbet; 29th June 2011 at 07:34 AM.
RJM Corbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 12:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cave Painter
 
Metryq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 940
Re: Mars features caused by electricity not water

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM Corbet View Post
The Martian atmosphere also produces a 'natural laser' effect in at least one area.
Unlikely that either effect (electrical storms or laser) could be responsible for the massive scalloping and other features on Mars. Note that the naturally occurring laser in Mars' atmosphere is not a focussed beam of energy as in man-made lasers. It is notable as a natural mechanism for producing "population inversions."
Metryq is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.