Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Discussion > Science / Nature

Science / Nature Messageboards for discussing all aspects of science, the environment of our world, and the scientific exploration of it.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th June 2011, 07:18 PM   #136 (permalink)
Benevolent Galaxy Being
 
Starbeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,333
If they make a movie too real, people will scream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metryq View Post
At the end of the segment, the repoter held up a sign that read “April Fool.“ However, by that time local authorities had already been flooded with frantic phone calls from Milton residents. One man, believing that his house would soon be engulfed by lava, had carried his sick wife outside in order to escape. The Milton police continued to receive worried phone calls well into the night. Channel 7 was so embarrassed by the panicked reaction that they apologized for the confusion later that night, and the executive producer responsible for the prank was fired.
Oh man, I haven't been aware of that one. Now THAT was the dumbest prank I've heard of. Thanks Metryq.

Have you seen the made for cable movie with John De Lancie playing a news reporter who was covering an alien invasion. I can't remember the name of movie which came out on cable in the 1980's, I tried to find it on Youtube. It was really good, the film was looked convincing and of course the aliens were defeatng us easily, I liked that movie more than ID4, it seemed like H.G.Wells "War of the Worlds".

Anyway, my brother and I were thrilled watching it, and when it ended we thought nothing more about it, other than how cool it was.

But what I didn't know was that other people who were channel surfing cable came across that movie and thought it was real. And just like the effect Orsen Wells had on people in 1938, happened again! People were leaving town or hiding in their basements with guns and others were commiting suicide!

I spoke to a friend about the cable movie a decade later and he told me that at the time, he was taking a nap and his mother woke him up to tell him Earth is being invaded by aliens. I was stunned.

People do panic easy.

Jeepers, now I want to see that cable movie again. I'll see if I can locate a trailer of it and post it in the movie section of this site.
Starbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 09:15 PM   #137 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!
 
pyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southampton
Posts: 8,201
Re: Crop Circles

If this thread doesn't go back on topic, it will be closed.

First and only warning, gentlemen...
pyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 11:37 PM   #138 (permalink)
Benevolent Galaxy Being
 
Starbeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,333
Re: Crop Circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyan View Post
If this thread doesn't go back on topic, it will be closed.

First and only warning, gentlemen...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbeast View Post
Oh yeah, crop circles, they look cool, but farmers don't like them.
Crop circles are a double edged sword, they look more striking and beautiful as time goes by. But, with the tremendous and increasing amount of hoaxers they've lost their value as something unworldly to behold. Because IF aliens were trying to tell us something important....I feel that the message has been lost.









Last edited by Starbeast; 26th June 2011 at 12:27 AM.
Starbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 12:00 AM   #139 (permalink)
The Ants are my friends..
 
J Riff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,067
Re: Crop Circles

Well then, let's see a documentary on how they could be made by people.
It wouldn't be easy, it would have to be automated to some degree.
Stakes driven in the ground, wires of many different lengths, and planks attached at different heights, then.... the planks dragged, all at once, and whoosh, a nice pattern.
Gather up all the miles of wire.... maybe retractable like a vacuum cleaner? .... load the boards onto the tractor, and sneak on out.
Unless someone can think of a better way>?
A helicopter? A giant rubber stamp suspended from a helicopter.
Trained grasshoppers. Trained cows!...
Should have a contest with large cash prize. Choose an intricate crop circle, and see if anyone can duplicate it by any means, using any and all methods, as long as it's done in the dark. )

Last edited by J Riff; 26th June 2011 at 12:16 AM.
J Riff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 12:27 AM   #140 (permalink)
Benevolent Galaxy Being
 
Starbeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,333
Re: Crop Circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Riff View Post
Well then, let's see a documentary on how they could be made by people. It wouldn't be easy, it would have to be automated to some degree.
True, I've seen some good ones made by people that have spent over five hours creating magnificant crop art. BUT, I am aware that black helicopters have been spotted by some of the questionable agroglyphs.

You're right J Riff, the really complicated ones would take too long to make by people, plus there is still the evidence of extreme heat being used that affects the plants themselves, in some cases, even mutation.

And the heat and mutation have been noticed in trees where people have reported strange aircraft flying low, or something that has fallen from the sky that damaged wooded areas.

Last edited by Starbeast; 26th June 2011 at 12:37 AM.
Starbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 12:53 AM   #141 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Zealand (Aotorea)
Posts: 560
Re: Crop Circles

Heat and Mutation?
Beyond that which could be done by pranksters?

Please forward evidence, because I do not believe it.
skeptical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 01:01 AM   #142 (permalink)
Lord High Vizier of Nowt
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Highland
Posts: 810
Re: Crop Circles

I have to wonder about the intellectual capacity of an alien race who encounter a species of 2M tall bipeds with eyes mounted in the fronts of their heads and then decide to communicate with them by doing drawing they can only see from the air.

If it's not to personal a question, J Riff, what do you do for a living? I ask because time and again I have seen programmes in which 'experimental' archaeologists and academic 'experts' have tried to explain how impressive ancient building could have erected while all they really demonstrated was that they clearly have no idea of how the physics of the real world works. (Or indeed how much work a human being can actually do when not sat behind a desk twiddling their thumbs up their arse.) One I particularly remember was a bunch of experts working out how they could portage a Viking longboat. They spent ages floundering about trying to work out how long it would take the crew to unload, by hand, the several tonnes of ballast rocks the boat carried. They figured it would take days. As I and about five other people had unloaded and transported, on site, by hand, 9 tonnes of building materials of the back of a delivery lorry in under two hours the same day I nearly wet my pants I was laughing so much. When they came to do 'the experiment' it took them a couple of hours to manhandle all the rocks off the boat.

People are insanely inventive things and capable of fantastic amounts of work. Sometimes for the most weird and wonderful reasons.

'HOW can this be man-made????' asks the first video a couple of posts ago. Very very simply. Get a compass - one of those things you used to use in high school geometry lessons - and just doodle some patterns on a piece of paper. I'll bet you within a very short time you will start to come up with the sort of geometric shapes and patterns on show in crop circles. Now substitute a string for the compass and have a bloke at each end to substitute for the point and the pencil and there you go. It's obvious.

If it is aliens doing all this why don't they do something alien. Make the flattened corn float 12M up in the air, rotate, and whistle the theme from Close Encounters of the Third Kind? Something drunken students or clandestine artists couldn't do. If they are so advanced why are they dead set on sneaking about fields in the dark making wildly inconstant patterns and symbols? Why don't they call a press conference and do the chat show circuit - it would be a lot simpler.

You know why. Because they don't really exist. We are not being visited by higher beings. It's wish-fulfilling fantasy to think so.
JunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 01:29 AM   #143 (permalink)
The Ants are my friends..
 
J Riff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,067
Re: Crop Circles

I'm a retired astronaut. Really. Seriously.
Beats me. Some circles are downright awesome, better than Spirograph.
Aliens without sound? Very limited vision, thus the huge eyes?
Those exist. They have these ships that they fly around in.
You can see them on youTube, next to the crop circle vids.

Humans could be doing the circles, IF they have one of the hover ships, around since the fifties. First one I saw used an oil rig as a base.
Anyway, I wish any of this was wish-fulfillment, but torture is a better word for it. Everyone involved seems to be frozen, waiting for someone else to do something. Meanwhile, UFOlogists clean up at the bank, while anyone actually involved burns up in isolation.
But if you won't believe visible guys like Cooper... what's the point arguing it? The conditioning works. There are no aliens making crop art till you see it on the news.
J Riff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 01:33 AM   #144 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Zealand (Aotorea)
Posts: 560
Re: Crop Circles

I agree with junkmonkey.

All the evidence I have seen for crop circles, and it is overwhelming evidence, is that for clever pranksers. Totally human.

When I ask for other evidence from you "true believer" guys, I get silence. It is just like a religion. Take it on faith.

Sorry guys. Faith is not enough. If you want to believe in ET, then cough up the evidence.
skeptical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 09:22 AM   #145 (permalink)
Wherever I Am, I'm There
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Greater London
Posts: 14,144
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Crop Circles

Can I add that real evidence is not "You can see them on YouTube" and that if "you see it on the news" you know that it has been rigorously checked for accuracy, balance, comprehensiveness, and objectivity? That, there, is the difference between your bizarre claims and theories and what is established as the truth.

When I claim something, I always provide a source for it, I don't tell you that "guys like Cooper" say it is true. Here is an interesting document:

http://www.sagepub.com/upm-data/1908...rrestrials.pdf

However, the fact that 3.7 million Americans believe that they have been abducted by space aliens (Hopkins, Jacobs, & Westrum, 1991) on the basis of listening to "guys like Cooper" and seeing it "on YouTube" is quite shocking to me.

J Riff - the Mods are aware that you have been peddling these bizarre theories around other forums and that threads have been closed in those forums. I don't want to do that, though it is still an option, but your claims need to be backed by facts. If you claim you have knowledge because you are a "retired astronaut" then we can quite rightly ask you which astronaut? If you have seen an alien hovership take off from an oil rig base, then which oil rig was it, what was the date, and why were you there?

If you can't do that then don't post any more.

This thread was about 'Crop Circles' please keep to that subject - second warning.

I was actually serious about Chronicles members making our own Crop Circle. I have no idea how we would organise it, and maybe we pay the farmer for his loss of grain, but surely if we could do it, that would lay to rest any possibility that is was anything other than students.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 10:08 AM   #146 (permalink)
Never Sure
 
RJM Corbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Devon
Posts: 1,780
Blog Entries: 12
Re: Crop Circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony G Williams View Post
... Less than a year ago some of those responsible were commissioned to make a crop circle for a TV programme, and they did a convincing job. See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/clips/p0...i_crop_circle/
Everybody seemed to miss this one? (Anthony's link, above.)

Dave: good, well-researched article -- will read it later, thanks ...

Last edited by RJM Corbet; 26th June 2011 at 10:53 AM.
RJM Corbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 06:49 PM   #147 (permalink)
Lord High Vizier of Nowt
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Highland
Posts: 810
Re: Crop Circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptical View Post
All the evidence I have seen for crop circles, and it is overwhelming evidence, is that for clever pranksers. Totally human.
A thought has just occurred to me - has anyone ever plotted the incidence of Crop Circle appearances with days of the week? I wouldn't be surprised to see a strong correlation between appearances and weekends with spikes on bank holidays. Just a though.


(Second thought - this was probably mentioned in one of the articles linked to that I haven't read. Sorry if it's old ground.)
JunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 08:23 PM   #148 (permalink)
Wherever I Am, I'm There
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Greater London
Posts: 14,144
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Crop Circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
A thought has just occurred to me - has anyone ever plotted the incidence of Crop Circle appearances with days of the week? I wouldn't be surprised to see a strong correlation between appearances and weekends with spikes on bank holidays. Just a though.
A quick Google search and:
http://www.execonn.com/cropcircles/hoaxes.html

Quote:
CONCLUSION

The obvious conclusion is that although there are certainly hoaxes, there is also another catagory (sic) of events which can be shown to be statistically independent of the hoaxes.
That wasn't the result I would have expected. If all crop circles were hoaxes you would expect very few to be found on Fridays. While most were found over the weekend, there were significantly more on Fridays than other days. Very strange!

Anyone have a reason?

Edit: The articles gives one - "However, part of this clustering on Fridays can be attributed to the fact that some of the pilots do more overflying on Fridays (and Saturdays) than other other days of the week."
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 09:41 PM   #149 (permalink)
Cave Painter
 
Metryq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 940
Re: Crop Circles

Of course, this could be a new hybrid grass cross-bred with Scottish fold cats. As the grass matures, it folds down. Some farmer cleverly plants it in a pattern, then one day...
Metryq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 11:18 PM   #150 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Zealand (Aotorea)
Posts: 560
Re: Crop Circles

Nah
The reason this is done mainly in Fridays is that ET likes to go to the pub on Fridays. When he gets totally shickered he flies in geometric patterns.
skeptical is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.