Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Featured TV Series > Game of Thrones

Game of Thrones Discussion of HBO's "Game of Thrones" based on George R R Martin's series.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 03:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Thicker than water

Re: 1.05 Game of Thrones - The Wolf and the Lion

I found the fighting a little stilted. First with Sandor and Gregor, which I kind of excused, since they're big guys and dragging a lot of weight around, but then also with Ned and Jaime. It was just a couple of little things - maybe something to do with editing - and I didn't care much but for me it broke up the energy of the scenes a bit.

Other than that tiny point (and the continued annoyance of Tyrion's random and continuously changing accent), twas a pretty good episode. Robert and Cersei's little chat gave great insight into their marriage and backstories. Lysa and baby Arryn gave good crazy. Arya was good as always. Although I really like both Daeny and Jon Snow, it was nice to get a chance to focus on King's Landing for a while.
digs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 03:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
roar

I agree with the Ned/Jaime fight, digs, I thought something looked a little off.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 07:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Time for beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I agree with the Ned/Jaime fight, digs, I thought something looked a little off.
Jaime didnt want to get his hair messed up!

I also liked the small scene with King Robert and Cercei.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 08:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Press "X" to Admire Hat.

Location: [I am a spambot, selecting the default option - ban me!]

After the disappointment of the Mountain (TR) last week, I was pleasantly surprised when he jumped off his horse - looks like people seem smaller when they're on big horses.

Some good scenes, again - Arya chasing a cat (very glad they didn't miss that out!), Ned and Jaime's swordplay (that damned pikeman at the end... how dare he!) and the added scenes (Renly&Loras threw me - I guess I've missed something in the book - but the Robert&Cersei scene was done well). I also like the humour with people mistaking Arya for a boy.

It was nice to finally see the Eyrie, both on the title map and as a set, and I think Lysa's madness is acted wonderfully!

No Viserys and Dany this week, and not a single wolf in sight, sadly.

Last weeks episode totally underwhelmed me, so it was nice to see it back on track this week.
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 10:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Sunset colored eyes

Don't worry, most people missed the Loras/Renly thing. I think GRRM had to come out and confirm it, despite leaving little hints in his writing.

I absolutely loved any scene with Littlefinger in it. That guy is perfect in the role.
C Of K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 10:08 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Of K View Post
Don't worry, most people missed the Loras/Renly thing. I think GRRM had to come out and confirm it, despite leaving little hints in his writing.

I absolutely loved any scene with Littlefinger in it. That guy is perfect in the role.
Aidan Gillen is perfect as Littlefinger!
svalbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 10:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
ctg
weaver of the unseen

Can I start "Jamie's a bastard" club and "I want him dead" club, or is there one already?
ctg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 10:41 PM   #23 (permalink)
Former Comment Giver

Well that was a cracking episode, really enjoyed that one.

I'll probably think on it overnight... but... Jamie a bastard? How could he be?

He gave Ned a fair fight, and when the pike man intervened he knocked him out for interrupting.

Ah well, maybe a little bit.
Perpetual Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 11:22 PM   #24 (permalink)

Great episode. There was so much to like about it. The scene with Robert and Cersei was well done and the fight at the end I thought was top notch. One minor quibble, I think in the book it was raining and Jaime waylaid them on the street whilst they were mounted. Or those memory fail me?? Either way it was dramatic enough. Lysa was delicously bonkers
svalbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 11:28 PM   #25 (permalink)
Time for beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by svalbard View Post
Great episode. There was so much to like about it. The scene with Robert and Cersei was well done and the fight at the end I thought was top notch. One minor quibble, I think in the book it was raining and Jaime waylaid them on the street whilst they were mounted. Or those memory fail me?? Either way it was dramatic enough. Lysa was delicously bonkers
You were right, it was raining and Ned was mounted and when the fighting bagan he took down a few Lannistermen and his horse was speared and fell trapping him and breaking his leg. If I'm not mistaken in the book Jaime told his men to attack then split.

King Robert sure treats his squire like rubbish eh?

Despite some quibbling about Tyrion's accent he is so excellent in each scene, even when he was captured.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 12:12 AM   #26 (permalink)
Final Fantasy 7 nutter

Loras and Renly?! Seriously! I never noticed anything about them being gay in the books. I was very suprised.
I thought this episode was ok. One silly thing that bugged me a bit is how everyone was calling Arya a boy when the young actress ( who is exellent as usual) doesn't look anything like a boy. Also they completely missed out Cat travelling to the top of the Eyrie which i really enjoyed in the book. I guess they didn't have the time and couldn't be bothered with the special effects.
Red 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 12:35 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 13 View Post
Loras and Renly?! Seriously! I never noticed anything about them being gay in the books. I was very suprised.
I thought this episode was ok. One silly thing that bugged me a bit is how everyone was calling Arya a boy when the young actress ( who is exellent as usual) doesn't look anything like a boy. Also they completely missed out Cat travelling to the top of the Eyrie which i really enjoyed in the book. I guess they didn't have the time and couldn't be bothered with the special effects.
GRRM confirmed that Renly and Loras are "firneds" quite a while ago. That was what their private "prayer' sessions were about
The Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 12:46 AM   #28 (permalink)
Final Fantasy 7 nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Imp View Post
GRRM confirmed that Renly and Loras are "firneds" quite a while ago. That was what their private "prayer' sessions were about
Well, Loras calling himself "The Knight of Flowers" makes sense now. ;p
Red 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 01:06 AM   #29 (permalink)
Northern Monkey

haha loved it - lots of scenes not in the book and they really pointed out the Renly/Loras relationship a lot earlier lol, you had to work it out subtle in the books

loving watching the reviews on youtube after each episode of noobs to the series

this guy has me entertained http://www.youtube.com/user/OtakuASS.../0/7RoABN-jh0Q

at first he didn't have a clue but slowly picking it up

Last edited by Tansy; 17th May 2011 at 01:46 AM.
Tansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 01:50 AM   #30 (permalink)
Thicker than water

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Of K View Post
Ah yeah, I meant to say that too. He's great.

And I think I've said it before but after having some doubts I really like Catelyn's casting. She really gives off that noble self-righteousness and sense of duty that annoys me so much in the books. I wouldn't call her pretty but there's definitely something striking about her.
digs is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: