Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > George R R Martin

George R R Martin Discuss the writings of author GRRM.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th May 2011, 02:02 PM   #106 (permalink)
Glad to be Geek

Re: Game of Thrones HBO - Disappointments, discuss.

I think Arya is wonderful. I smile every time she comes on screen. The actress has made this role her own.

Must admit, I always said Jamie, never Jame. I think GRRM has said that should be Jamie (i.e. Jay-mee).

I agree with the others that Renly should have been more fun. He actually sounded almost a little petulant with Loras, that he wasn't being taken as seriously as he wanted to be. Book Renly never came across like this (not to me, anyway). But I'll have to see more of him before I judge.
Mesanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 06:12 PM   #107 (permalink)
is going fishing

The Mountain. I always imagined him to be like...I don't know, Marvel's Juggernaut (not from the movies, god forbid). Now, he's just a big brute. Nothing too special about him.

Also, there's too many dark haired unshaven men. I can't tell who's who anymore, at times.
Syphon of Oor-Tael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 07:12 PM   #108 (permalink)
I Do Not Sow

Well, at 7'1'', Conan Stevens who plays Gregor is no pip-squeek. Gregor was always just a big brute.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 07:47 PM   #109 (permalink)

Agreed, Arya is a happy surprise. Could have been disappointing.

I think my favourites are Arya, Tyrion, Robert, Dany, Viserys, Sam, the ravens, the pups and Old Nan.
Eulalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 08:42 PM   #110 (permalink)
Glad to be Geek

I have to agree with TK-421 re The Mountain. If he's coming across as a Big Brute, then I'd say he's playing his part well.
Mesanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 09:42 PM   #111 (permalink)
Arya's Whisper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Well, at 7'1'', Conan Stevens who plays Gregor is no pip-squeek. Gregor was always just a big brute.
100% true! Gregor was always just a brute, never saw him as anything else. I guess 7 foot tall is about as big as actors are like to get, but since he is not likely to have to say much (if anything) maybe they could have gotten a wrestler or something so non-readers could really get the idea just how big he really is! I keep thinking of Battlefield Earth how they appeared so much bigger than the humans. Don't know how they did it but would have been awesome!
Needle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 11:14 PM   #112 (permalink)
Riftsound resident

Very little about the show to disappoint me so far.

Hodor, though, seems far older than I imagined him to be.

Also, I had imagined the Eyrie to be a small castle suited on a summit in a mountain range, not a huge, cathedral-like structure perched on an unnaturally tall peak in the middle of tiny hills.

That was kind of disappointing. I really looked forward to the Eyrie. They should have filmed some place with real mountains (like Norway )
Thadlerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 12:46 AM   #113 (permalink)
Double-stuff Oreos!

Yeah the Eyrie was very different to my imaginings as well. Having said that, I think the castle I imagined (which sounds similar to that of Thad's above) would be very difficult to build. I always pictured a very narrow valley with the castle high above everything else on the crest of one side of the valley. GlenCoe being in the back of my mind, but on a larger scale. Having said that it's so minor that I haven't really thought about it since.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:02 AM   #114 (permalink)
Riding the trails

I'm looking forward to seeing more of The Wall and what's past it................
crooksy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:14 AM   #115 (permalink)
Riding the trails

I drove past Gwrych Castle last week and it immediately reminded me of AGoT. I think it would have made a very impressive Harrenhal as it's a really large castle and quite imposing:

http://http://www.gwrychtrust.co.uk/html/ghostly_gwrych.html

Rumour has it that the place is the most haunted castle in Wales so would have been ideal for Harrenhal
crooksy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 05:04 PM   #116 (permalink)
Time for beer

Well, I have to say...once again no Direwolves! Specifically the scene where Bran rides off on his own in the woods and he and Robb are confronted by the wildings. Of course seems the only time we have seen the wolves is when they rescue one of the kids as in Bran-Arya.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 06:38 PM   #117 (permalink)
Hump? What hump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
Well, I have to say...once again no Direwolves! Specifically the scene where Bran rides off on his own in the woods and he and Robb are confronted by the wildings. Of course seems the only time we have seen the wolves is when they rescue one of the kids as in Bran-Arya.
I'll have to go back and check the book, but I was sure Bran's wolf took out at least one of the wildlings.

I am real disappointed about how they are cutting the dire wolves out of the story.
Slyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 06:41 PM   #118 (permalink)
Time for beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyde View Post
I'll have to go back and check the book, but I was sure Bran's wolf took out at least one of the wildlings.

I am real disappointed about how they are cutting the dire wolves out of the story.
I gave my copy to a friend, but I am certain that Robb's pup was there too and they really tore apart 1-2 of those unfortunate fellows.

There was also several other guardsmen and the maester too. Bran rode off ahead of them all and got lost while the wolves were off hunting.
Old 23rd May 2011, 06:43 PM   #119 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyde View Post

In the book there are 6 wildlings and the wolves take 2 or 3 of them.

Lack of dire wolves is a legit complaint, but one I'm tired of making. For one reason or another the animal actors and/or crew chosen weren't up to the task of shooting scenes regularly. So it seems like they're relatively written out of the series right now. I'm resigned to seeing very little of them for this season and hoping they choose new dogs/wolves to play them next season so they can start taking part regularly.
Lofwyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 07:00 PM   #120 (permalink)
Time for beer

I used to be a neighbor to one of the producers and I am going to send a message via facebook to someone who is still in contact with him.
I'll also use this great forum as a reference or at least maybe a reason..

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: