Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > George R R Martin

George R R Martin Discuss the writings of author GRRM.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th April 2011, 11:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Arya's Whisper

Brienne's word?

Forgive me if this is an old question for you all. What doyou think is the one word Brienne says to Catelyn at the end of FFC and will it save her life? I am betting on Sansa which may be the only thing to save her. I look forward to hearing your answers!
Needle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 12:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Thaphireth!

Re: Brienne's word?

Needle, Welcome to the Chronicles Network. There are a few things you need to know...

First, You're already forgiven. We never flame anyone until they have at least seventeen, or is it eighteen, posts?

First and a half, I am the smrtest preson here. My wrod is gospel truth concerning all thnigs Greg Martinez.

Second, TK-421 will post shortly with all the links to the threads where Brienne's last word has been discussed. He will not do this to stop this thread, but to assist you in your search for the truth... In which case you'll wnat to pay spceial attention to my posts.

Third, Brienne may have said many things. Sansa and Arya are among the theories. Ice is another. Jaime is fairly popular. But if I was Brienne, I think I would have said, B!atch."

Fourth, this vodka, strawberry, kiwi drink is right on the money. Now I just need to go light the grill....
Boaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 12:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

It's been discussed

I think she will say "STOP", which would force Un-Cat to delay the execution to hear what she has to say. If it has to be something other than that I suppose "Sansa" would work to catch her attention, or perhaps "Jaime"
The Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 12:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
Needle, Welcome to the Chronicles Network. There are a few things you need to know...

First, You're already forgiven. We never flame anyone until they have at least seventeen, or is it eighteen, posts?

First and a half, I am the smrtest preson here. My wrod is gospel truth concerning all thnigs Greg Martinez.

Second, TK-421 will post shortly with all the links to the threads where Brienne's last word has been discussed. He will not do this to stop this thread, but to assist you in your search for the truth... In which case you'll wnat to pay spceial attention to my posts.

Third, Brienne may have said many things. Sansa and Arya are among the theories. Ice is another. Jaime is fairly popular. But if I was Brienne, I think I would have said, B!atch."

Fourth, this vodka, strawberry, kiwi drink is right on the money. Now I just need to go light the grill....
It was changed from 18 posts to 25 a few months ago.

Throw a shrimp on ther barbie for me Boaz, or a dwarf, your call.
Old 7th April 2011, 01:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Arya's Whisper

Thanks all I need all the slack I can get! I will appreciate links to past threads, hope I don't make you too crazy! The only person I know who has read these books is my son, he is tired of hearing my theories! I am mostly finished with my umpteenth reread before HBO series starts. I considered Jaime too. but would most like be her death. Yes Boaz I willpay special attention to your posts!!
Old 7th April 2011, 01:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needle View Post
Thanks all I need all the slack I can get! I will appreciate links to past threads, hope I don't make you too crazy! The only person I know who has read these books is my son, he is tired of hearing my theories! I am mostly finished with my umpteenth reread before HBO series starts. I considered Jaime too. but would most like be her death. Yes Boaz I will pay special attention to your posts!!
It would really be worth your while if you look back at some of the past threads. There's a lot of fascinating stuff there, and we have some really knowledgeable people here. There\s absolutely nothing wrong with resurrecting a very old thread either if you have something to say
Old 7th April 2011, 04:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
S.M.R.T.

I'm no TK but here's a link.

Neat thing is the second or third post in that 12 page thread has another link to an older thread discussing the same thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if that thread contained another.

Welcome, my bet is on Arya, although I'd prefer it to be Ice....for no reason that is logically defensible.

Oh, if you had actually posted something new for us to discuss you would have been the internet equivalent of a Ninja Jedi.
Wiggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 05:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Arrogant Bastard

I liked my guess at the top of page 10, but no one else thought it was funny.
viZion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 05:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Thaphireth!

viZ, nice. My Russian Palmer, aka Iced Tea, Lemonade, and Vodka, makes that joke funny.

One theory on "Jaime" is that Brienne actually sees Jaime and his men cresting the hill...
Old 7th April 2011, 05:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Arya's Whisper

Thanks for the link Wiggum, I am reading myself blind tonight and loving every minute of it!
I have changed my vote to Arya by the way.
Old 7th April 2011, 05:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
S.M.R.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
My Russian Palmer
There are so many things I want to say about this.....

I'll spare you most of them, but I gotta ask, does it come with a happy ending?
Wiggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 11:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
JDP
Never told a lie. Ever.

<Spoilers!>

Currently working through my pre-tv-series reread of the series. My money is on "Stannis".

When taking service with Catelyn in CoK, Cat vows that when the time comes, she will not stop Brienne from seeking vengeance on Stannis for killing Renly.

Hence, I think that Brienne is going to try to hold her to that oath. Think this is also mentioned in the thread linked above.
JDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 11:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Bearly Believable

As time goes by, I'm more and more convinced that she said, "Sword!"

My reasoning is that it doesn't appear that unCat is present** when Brienne speaks the word, so it would be useless for Brienne to say something only of relevance to unCat and not those present. unCat, gave Brienne a choice, Sword or Noose, and those now about to hand Brienne heard that, and also heard that unCat state that was the only choice.

All the other things being suggested here, and in all those other threads, would need to be said to unCat, and that can only happen once Brienne is taken to see her.

** - It doesn't say unCat is there and the conversation suggests to me that unCat isn't within earshot.
Ursa major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 02:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
former axe demon

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the word that is most expressive in this entire series. A word so strong, so pure, that it can act as a substitute for every other word you might need...

I'm speaking, of course of the word...

HODOR!

Ursa Major may have a point there. But it would have to be a word of more significance than "stop". Or "wait".

Wait, they don't love you like I love you, laalaaalaaa laaalaaalaaaaa laaalaalaaa laaalaalaaa wait! they don't love you like I love you. (the yeah yeah yeah's aren't much of an influence on Martin, I would think.)

All joking aside, I think she might make a refference to her oath. Although Ice might be a solid choice as well. I seriously should do a reread
cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 03:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Thaphireth!

Who needs a happy ending? I'm with Ursa on this one. I don't remember who first proposed "Sword", but I like it. I think innocent, little Pod's suffering an injust and ignoble death makes Brienne break her oath to Jaime.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: