Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Books and Literature > Classic SF&F

Classic SF&F Classic science-fiction authors and books, from the Golden Age to the 1970's.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th April 2011, 12:36 PM   #31 (permalink)

Re: The Jack Vance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connavar View Post
I have read 3 Demon Princes i dont know why i havent finished the series yet. Adam Reith and wonderful Sworld and planet series Planet of Adventure stole me from Gersen
I really want to read Planet of Adventure. I was supposed to have a hardcover omnibus of it already but the damn book got lost or stolen (or, at least I assume so . . . I've been waiting for over a month and still haven't received anything). Unfortunately not a rare thing to happen when ordering books from the USA.
Aillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 11:26 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dask View Post
"The Men Return", "totally strange", bulls-eye! One of my all-time favorites.
It was so weird that story and so wonderful read. I like his best stories that doesnt fit his usual style,sff content.

Try "The Mitr" ,The Secret(1966) and "The New Prime(1951) as other different but quality stories.

By the way what is your fav Jack Vance SF short story ? Not fantasy DE or the famous novellas.
Connavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2011, 02:02 AM   #33 (permalink)
dark and stormy knight

Along with "The Men Return" I remember liking "The Moon Moth" and "The Devil On Salvation Bluff" but don't ask me why --- I forgot. I just remember liking them. More recently I really enjoyed "Morreion" from Lin Carter's FLASHING SWORDS #1. But "Men Return" still shines at the top. Some things stick with me like sand on a wet foot and I've never forgotten some guy saying something like "I feel a lack. I will eat the relic." Still makes me smile.

Whoops, "Morreion" is fantasy but enjoyable nonetheless. (Heck, maybe the others are too, I can't remember.)
dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2011, 04:03 AM   #34 (permalink)
dark and stormy knight

Just thought of two more I should have remembered: "I'll Build Your Dream Castle" from the late '40s and "Rumfuddle" from the early '70s. By the way, what's DE?
Old 9th April 2011, 05:15 AM   #35 (permalink)

Probably Dying Earth.
J-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2011, 10:08 AM   #36 (permalink)

"The Moon Moth" is the most popular SF story by the fans and seen as his best short story. Its the Vance far future,alien human culture story,themes perfected. Totally right its the Vance story in SF Hall of Fame collection.

Dask you have not read Cugel, Dying Earth collection before ? Seeing as you didnt know Morreion. I assumed you had since you know many Vance SF. His Dying Earth is one of the works he is most known for. Creating the subgenre of Dying Earth story.
Old 9th April 2011, 03:59 PM   #37 (permalink)
dark and stormy knight

I've read THE DYING EARTH and THE EYES OF THE OVERWORLD but not the others though I have them. I knew "Morreion" was a DE tale and probably figured into a novel somewhere but wasn't sure which. I may fast-track the remainders now. I thought and thought what does DE mean and nothing materialized. Feel really silly now!
Old 10th April 2011, 06:39 AM   #38 (permalink)

Check this out...

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&so...TZOsDw&cad=rja

I know you've read those Lyonesse ones,but maybe they'll do more of those VIE editions at some time.
In the meantime...here's another classic...

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&so...ouU7Rw&cad=rja
Elflock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 07:58 AM   #39 (permalink)
dark and stormy knight

I read "Sjambak" in a Vance collection about a year ago. The Finlay illustration, which I have never seen, reminded me it was one of the more bizarre of the bunch in a line-up which boasted no turkeys.
Old 11th April 2011, 02:40 AM   #40 (permalink)

"Sjambak" i read last year when i bought:

Vance, Hard-Luck Diggings: Subterranean Press

I liked the setting, the planet,culture it was set in. The islamic culture was a bit original Jack Vance setting. Usually they are not like that more far future humans that isnt similar to people of today. The story itself was nice but 3/5 type rating in my eyes and not one of the better Vance stories.
Old 11th April 2011, 12:09 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dask View Post
I've read THE DYING EARTH and THE EYES OF THE OVERWORLD but not the others though I have them. I knew "Morreion" was a DE tale and probably figured into a novel somewhere but wasn't sure which. I may fast-track the remainders now. I thought and thought what does DE mean and nothing materialized. Feel really silly now!
Just in case you weren't sure, Morreion is the last part of Rhialto the Marvellous (the last Dying Earth book) which I've yet to read. I'm rather excited to read it.
Old 13th April 2011, 08:31 PM   #42 (permalink)

Does anyone here know if Araminta Station, first book of the Cadwal Chronicles, fares well as a stand-alone book?

I just received a hardback edition of it in the mail yesterday. It was only about $7 so I felt I couldn't go wrong with buying it. I'm thinking of reading it after the Alastor series. However, if it doesn't fare well as a stand-alone, I may not read it right away. When a book from a series doesn't fare well as a stand-alone, I usually wait until I'm possession of every book in the series before going through with reading it. I'll probably eventually get the sequels, but this won't be for years . . . I have a queue of books I want to buy over the next few years; Ecce and Old Earth and Throy aren't on it.

To a lot of Vancephiles, Araminta Station is considered as being one of Vance's best while Ecce and Old Earth and Throy are often considered as being "good" but seldom will you hear someone say that the sequels are on par with Araminta Station.

I'm rather excited to read this book, but I might avoid it for now if you folks think the Cadwal series should be read in its entirety.

So: Should I go ahead and read Araminta Station after the Alastor series, or should I wait until I obtain copies of Ecce and Old Earth and Throy, which I probably won't get for at least a couple years, instead?
Old 14th April 2011, 06:43 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aillas View Post
Does anyone here know if Araminta Station, first book of the Cadwal Chronicles, fares well as a stand-alone book?

I just received a hardback edition of it in the mail yesterday. It was only about $7 so I felt I couldn't go wrong with buying it. I'm thinking of reading it after the Alastor series. However, if it doesn't fare well as a stand-alone, I may not read it right away. When a book from a series doesn't fare well as a stand-alone, I usually wait until I'm possession of every book in the series before going through with reading it. I'll probably eventually get the sequels, but this won't be for years . . . I have a queue of books I want to buy over the next few years; Ecce and Old Earth and Throy aren't on it.

To a lot of Vancephiles, Araminta Station is considered as being one of Vance's best while Ecce and Old Earth and Throy are often considered as being "good" but seldom will you hear someone say that the sequels are on par with Araminta Station.

I'm rather excited to read this book, but I might avoid it for now if you folks think the Cadwal series should be read in its entirety.

So: Should I go ahead and read Araminta Station after the Alastor series, or should I wait until I obtain copies of Ecce and Old Earth and Throy, which I probably won't get for at least a couple years, instead?
Well,it depends...do you have any other JV titles at the moment? I personally don't think Araminta is one of his best at all...In fact I struggled to finish it and never bothered with the other two even though I do have them somewhere... It's not bad or anything,it's kind of ok,you might love it,who knows?...but there are lots of much better ones IMHO. I would definitely read his older stuff first,especially the 50's and 60's stuff. The cover is good on your one though!
Old 14th April 2011, 07:11 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aillas View Post
Just in case you weren't sure, Morreion is the last part of Rhialto the Marvellous (the last Dying Earth book) which I've yet to read. I'm rather excited to read it.
Now,Rhialto IS a good one! Read that!
Old 14th April 2011, 10:19 AM   #45 (permalink)

Araminta Station is long way from among his best and havent seen anyone in JV forums that say its one of his best either.

Its the only Vance novel i didnt finish when i started. Not bad just didnt interest me as similar book/series he has written.

Tags
jack, vance

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: