Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > General > Technology

Technology Technology forums for all aspects of technology, hardware, software, computers, and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th March 2011, 02:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
There can be only one!!

XP MBR Error

So, my question is - is there a way to run the 'fixmbr' command while Windows XP is running?

I ask b/c I don't know that my system boots into a recovery mode... or that I have the right disc to make it do so. I have the Recovery disks that I made when I first bought the machine, but don't know if that will let me get to a place to run the 'fixmbr' command.

Anyone know if it does? Or if I can run the fix while 'inside' Windows?

Yes... stupid machine went 'oh noes! there is a boot record error! fail!' and I've restored to factory settings... omg so so annoying... but it still has that error. *sigh*

** is lucky all pertinent data is stored on an external **
Highlander II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 05:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Immortal Prince

Re: XP MBR Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
So, my question is - is there a way to run the 'fixmbr' command while Windows XP is running?

I ask b/c I don't know that my system boots into a recovery mode... or that I have the right disc to make it do so. I have the Recovery disks that I made when I first bought the machine, but don't know if that will let me get to a place to run the 'fixmbr' command.

Anyone know if it does? Or if I can run the fix while 'inside' Windows?

Yes... stupid machine went 'oh noes! there is a boot record error! fail!' and I've restored to factory settings... omg so so annoying... but it still has that error. *sigh*

** is lucky all pertinent data is stored on an external **
I don't know if this will help but it says you can run it in Recovery console:

Master Boot Record - How To Repair the Master Boot Record In Windows XP - Fixmbr

Running in DOS (Command Prompt)

http://www.computerhope.com/fixmbr.htm
Cayal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
There can be only one!!

Yeah - I looked at that first one, but my recovery console doesn't come up that way. I don't have the options that they display... I have the option to 'restore' (factory settings) or something else, that I don't remember... but nothing as far as getting to a DOS prompt to enter the 'fixmbr' command.

The 2nd link is little help b/c it assumes that you have the XP installation CD - which I don't. I have the recovery disks that I made when I got the machine, but that does the same as the recovery console.
Old 14th March 2011, 11:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
There can be only one!!

Okay, so, turns out that the MBR error was a result of the machine making grand attempts to boot off the graphics card in the PCI slot. No, I have no idea how that happened, only that my sister's friend had to poke the BIOS to fix it.

However, I now have a NEW problem - I can't use the graphics card for its intended purpose B/C the machine tries to boot from it if I restart the machine.

Anyone know how to solve that one?

The graphics card works... but I don't know how to keep the machine from trying to boot the mini-harddrive on the card rather than the main harddrive on the machine.
Old 15th March 2011, 12:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Aye fur Alba

Have you tried going into the BIOS and selecting the big hard drive to boot first ?
The Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 12:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
There can be only one!!

Yeah - that's what my sis's friend did.

However - as it turns out, that's not the actual problem. B/c I removed the graphics card and it's *still* giving me the MBR error.

So, I think imma take it to some Tech guys who will clean it up and make it all shiny again... =) Or - as shiny as a 7y/o PC can be.
Old 29th March 2011, 03:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
There can be only one!!

Well, by process of elimination (having not restarted it since coming to this potential conclusion) - I believe the MBR error is coming from the xternal harddrive...

no idea why the thing is trying to boot off the external - i never changed anything in the BIOS to *tell* it to do that, but it obviously got that idea in it's head somewhere...

tech-guy played with the BIOS and it may be reset correctly now - though, not sure since I didn't have the xHD w/ me at the time, so we'll have to see when I reboot later.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: