Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Aspiring Writers > General Writing Discussion

General Writing Discussion For aspiring writers of science fiction and fantasy to discuss issues of writing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th December 2010, 03:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Re: Ego board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

Boneman, I didn't know you did all that stuff! Very impressive!
'twas a long time ago... in a lifetime far, far away. Even though I still work on my scripts very very occasionally, I'm concentrating on the trilogy...
Boneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 03:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
roar

I don't reckon I could write a script!

Just heard back that I've made it onto the short list for something. I'm pleased... but last time I was on a short list, I dropped off it towards the end, so I'm now wary of short lists!
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 04:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneman View Post
This was the reader system they employ - Graduates with an English Degree who know naff-all about film making as their first filter....
Hey! Some of us know some stuff!

I don't think I've ever formed an opinion about my writing, whatsoever. My creative writing leader seemed to like my stuff, which was cool, although there was never any real, solid feedback. The 75 word story thingy here has certainly helped to give me a bit more confidence about my writing. I'd like to start doing something with my work. I was going to ask to about the places you submit to, Mouse, as you seemed quite knowledgeable about such, so thanks for putting the links here. I've got a couple of short horror bits that might be able to find a home somewhere, perhaps.

I used to think that I'd never be able to write a script, then I randomly decided to write one for my undergraduate dissertation, having never written one before, and now I can't get enough of them. I've also written a feature length horror script for my Masters dissertation. I think I'd like to edit the crap (literally) out of both of these and find something to do with them.

Other than that, the only thing I've ever really done is get a poem into an anthology waaaay back in the day. It was technically a school thing, but I just randomly submitted to it, so I'm actually first in the book because I wasn't under a school name. Poetry's not really my thing though, so I don't think there'll be a repeat of that...
HoopyFrood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 05:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
Hey! Some of us know some stuff!
Apologies Hoopy! 'Twasn't meant as a slur on English graduates, only those who work for the BBC, and haven't got a clue about films... please don't tell me you work for the Beeb?
Boneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 06:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Ninja agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Or maybe we can share here the good comments we've received. Like, a little while ago I had a rejection where the editor said the story wasn't for her, but that I had a LOT of talent. (Her emphasis!) And even though it was a rejection, it made me smile.
I know just what you mean! I haven't sent anything anywhere in 20 years, and back then only a few stories, but I still have a rejection letter from Stanley Schmidt, in which he said he couldn't use that story but he "rather liked my style." I still get a grin when I think of that, and I bounced around for weeks when I got it, telling everyone, "he likes my style. I have a style!"
TheDustyZebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 10:17 PM   #21 (permalink)
roar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
I was going to ask to about the places you submit to, Mouse, as you seemed quite knowledgeable about such, so thanks for putting the links here. I've got a couple of short horror bits that might be able to find a home somewhere, perhaps.
No probs. And yeah, I'm happy to help anyone if people are thinking about submitting short stories and whatnot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDustyZebra View Post
I know just what you mean! I haven't sent anything anywhere in 20 years, and back then only a few stories, but I still have a rejection letter from Stanley Schmidt, in which he said he couldn't use that story but he "rather liked my style." I still get a grin when I think of that, and I bounced around for weeks when I got it, telling everyone, "he likes my style. I have a style!"
Cool! It's good that even rejections can be good.
Old 10th December 2010, 01:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
The Ants are my friends..

Yes...well all the best writers have a chesterfield or two stuffed with rejection slips, so I've heard. >*.. I sleep on a mattress of slips.. wear a slip-filled jacket, make confetti for the whole town at Xmas...
This linkage is all really usefully good fun stuff, thank you.
J Riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 02:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Assonance rocks!

I've had articles and research in medical journals three times, and it certainly gave me a huge buzz. Unfortunately, it's a different planet to writing fiction, using a completely different language. Currently, I have to stifle an urge to write a letter to a GP, starting "I saw your patient today. I knew from the way she tossed her auburn hair that this was to be no ordinary meeting. We eyed each other warily..." I don't think they'd appreciate that.
alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 02:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
Author and Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Riff View Post
Yes...well all the best writers have a chesterfield or two stuffed with rejection slips, so I've heard. >*...
Too true.

For whatever it's worth, when I started submitting short stories in earnest, back in April 2006, I had a 'portfolio' of stories which were always out somewhere, and I was constantly writing more. Initially, I was getting 10 or 11 rejections for every sale, but by the time I stopped to concentrate on novel writing, at the end of 2007, that had come down to 3 or 4 per sale. By then I'd sold more than two dozen stories including enough to professional markets to qualify for SFWA membership.

Rejection is part of the businees, and a thick skin is a must!
Ian Whates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 04:04 PM   #25 (permalink)
Former Comment Giver

Well just had an Ego Boost this morning, not a huge one but enough to make me smile - the latest issue of SFX (204 - early because I'm a subscriber) just arrived on my doorstep.

And in their regular column Ask the SFXpert the picture under the guest expert looked very familiar
Perpetual Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 06:02 AM   #26 (permalink)

Trying to submit one to LOTLD, but there's too many submissions threads that pay a penny, or are too specific. Oh well. What's the least you will accept from this sort of mag?
Old 11th December 2010, 10:25 AM   #27 (permalink)
roar

For LOTLD, as they're pretty specific, I tend to write especially for them. Like Athanasia, I wrote that with them in mind.

I'll submit stories to non-paying markets, if I like the sound of the place, but I tend to look for places which pay now. The minimum 'pay' I like is usually one contributor's copy of the mag/anthology.

I think the least amount I've actually been paid was 3/4 cent a word. The most I've been paid was 3 cents a word.

It's something like 1 cent and under is a 'token' payment. 1-3 is semi-pro, and 3 and over is pro.
Old 11th December 2010, 11:07 AM   #28 (permalink)
Fantastical historian

I used to have a tiny printout pinned to my desk: a typed copy of the complimentary notes that historical author Marina Oliver scribbled on my manuscript back in 2003 (I had a one-to-one with her at the Winchester Writers' Conference).

Nowadays I just dip into my "Submissions" email folder and click on certain messages. My favourite is from a top London agent, who sent a polite rejection but described my writing as "highly accomplished". Made me feel like a Jane Austen heroine

The one that's powering me through my current round of revisions, though, is:

"Can't wait to read what you come up with."

Maybe one day I'll be in a position to reveal who wrote that...
Anne Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 12:21 PM   #29 (permalink)

Tell them you love what they are trying to do ...

Well thanks Mouse, that's the way it is, some of these places have submission threads galore and 3centavos is about the best I saw.
Pirates, or a Giant Zombie Ape, which anthology would you choose to write one for? Could write one about a giant zombie Ape-Pirate and send it to both.
Old 12th December 2010, 01:23 PM   #30 (permalink)

I feel like a guinea pig sending stuff off to the pro-paysters. Still, the differmints betwixt one and three cents...

'Suddenly, the frog exploded.' BOOM! Four Cents. Or-

"The enormous toad erupted magnificently." Bang! - FIFTEEN CENTS.

Not enough. It can't ever be enough.MoreI want SIX... so that

"His eyes felt like they were sweating." ... a solid 42cents.. or the legendary ten cents a word, turning:
"She was sent reeling back into the crowd, her face and hair bristling with foaming fire-retardant, more of which then spewed and splattered
unevenly across the room as Pete staggered erect.."
into a cool Three dollar twenty (3.20). These are cruel financial limits, compared to say, rock stars or astronauts. But we bravely scarblle on.
That will be nine dollars and eighty cents. Thank you.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: