Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Film > General Film Discussion

General Film Discussion For discussing the silver screen and the DVD.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th October 2010, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Benevolent Galaxy Being

Skyline (2010)

Starbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Shaman.

re: Skyline (2010)

looks good
sloweye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 08:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Usually I'm pretty well up to speed on what's coming out, but the preview for this took me by surprise the other day.

Looks veerrryy interesting.
Captain Campion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bearly Believable

It looks, at first glance, like Cloverfield meets Independence Day. Could be fun.

They've been advertising on the TV in the UK. It seems like we're going to get the film the same date as it's released in the US. (And given the time difference, possibly a few hours earlier.)
Ursa major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 10:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wherever I Am, I'm There

Re: Skyline (2010)

Definitely looks like Cloverfield 2. I hope there is more than that though, and more than is in the trailer - Like why are they here? Do they want to rape the worlds resources; steal our water? Are they just lost? Are they refugees? Are they out for world domination? Or, do they just want to communicate with us? It might just be me, but in my 'close encounters of the third kind' I really need to know these things.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

I will be going to see this one .
Well Sci Fi and a big screen and popcorn is a Kite night out at the highest level
mr kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 11:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

I'm looking forward to this. (Isn't there another invasion movie set in LA coming out at more or less the same time?)
Rodders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 12:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
I'm looking forward to this. (Isn't there another invasion movie set in LA coming out at more or less the same time?)
There's a bigger-budget film called Battle : Los Angeles coming out next year. Apparently, there's a bit of controversy because the directors of Skyline previously worked on some of the visual effects for Battle : Los Angeles at the same time they were developing their own movie with a seemingly very similar premise.

The trailer looks OK, it might be a fun B-movie although I'm not expecting too much from the plot. The fact that the directors' biggest previous film was "Alien vs Predator 2" doesn't exactly fill me with confidence, but maybe they've improved?
williamjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 06:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think I'll be going into the theater the same way I went in for '2012': my brain turned off and giddy at all the effects.
Reality is boring, at least I get to see some shiny lights in the cinema.
CyBeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 12:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Problem Solver

Re: Skyline (2010) - WARNING, SPOILER ALERT

It's been a while since I've posted a few words (been busy trying to raise money for the starship thingy), but I've been so inspired by that exceptional movie "Skyline" I thought I'd share them with you, by way of a WARNING!

On Independence Day, a War Of The Worlds erupts in the little Californian suburb near Cloverfield, where an Invasion Of The Body Snatchers sends everyone into a Matrix of frenzied hysteria at this unexpected Event.
Or to put it another way, if you're stuck for a good idea, and you have enough reputation to trick Hollywood into putting money behind anything, then just watch a load of old movies, take all their plotlines, stir in a liquidiser and pour this stinking goop down on paper.
With unsympathetic characters running around like headless chickens, before they all (except the pregnant girl) get their heads snapped off by the aliens, leading to the exciting ending (the excitement is that you did survive to the end without running screaming from the cinema), with the clear suggestion they hope to write a whole series of this nonsense, you'll find plenty to laugh at, if you can be bothered wasting your life on this.
Avoid like the plague and hope no one makes the sequel that's hinted at the end ("hero" gets turned into alien monster to protect his girlie).

Verdict: Idiot turkeys eaten by aliens at Christmas.

There, vented.
worldmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 11:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
The Ants are my friends..

Well true enuff, WorldMaker.
I just saw SKYLINE last night.. but in Russian..so I never could figure out what the characters were doing...
BUT...as invasion flicks go - it could be worser... spoilage ahead>

These aliens are different sizes, and are effectively machines that swoop on down and just start gobbling up people in LA. They turn them into slave-beasties of some kind but we don't learn that till the last minute.
It gets ridiculous with our hero clobbering a gigantic alien with a brick... but muchos action in East LA , yes?
Anyway. The idea is OK...vaguely believable. We never do see any Aliens apparently- just these giant droids they send down to wreck the place and grab fresh troops. Will have to see it in Anglaise before I know what the characters were on about tho'.
J Riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 11:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Bearly Believable

Re: Skyline (2010) - WARNING, SPOILER ALERT

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldmaker View Post
Or to put it another way, if you're stuck for a good idea, and you have enough reputation to trick Hollywood into putting money behind anything....
According to Mark Kermode on Radio Five Live's film review slot last Friday, the makers, "the Brothers Strause", paid for the film with their own money, then got a major to distribute it.

And they'll do it again, apparently: on Wiki:
Quote:
The Brothers Strause insist that they will film a sequel with their own money and try to find a distributor to release it.

Note that I think Dr Kermode would probably agree with you about the "inspriration" for the film.
Ursa major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 11:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
sunny side up!

Quote:
Verdict: Idiot turkeys eaten by aliens at Christmas.

There, vented.
So falls another guy as a victim to the tragedy that is 'SKYLINE'. :-)
vector7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 01:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Uberly purple

Definitely a WTF?! Film

Seriously. W-T-F?

It seems like they expended all their creative energies on the aliens & spaceships (I thought the special effects were pretty good btw) and had nothing left over for much a plot.
purple_kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 08:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Problem Solver

Talking Re: Skyline (2010) - WARNING, SPOILER ALERT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa major View Post
According to Mark Kermode on Radio Five Live's film review slot last Friday, the makers, "the Brothers Strause", paid for the film with their own money, then got a major to distribute it.

And they'll do it again, apparently: on Wiki:

Note that I think Dr Kermode would probably agree with you about the "inspriration" for the film.

If I had their kind of money, oh, the films I could produce off my scripts.
Maybe next year...
worldmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: