Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Science fiction and fantasy > Gaming

Gaming Discussion area for virtual and non-virtual games and gaming - computer games for home PCs, internet MMORPG, and paper and pencil Role Playing Games (RPG).

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st March 2011, 04:43 PM   #46 (permalink)
sunny side up!

Re: Which Game has the best SFF story?

Quote:
Well. for me, it's the Fallout series, Sword of the Stars, the Half Life series, Freespace 1 and 2, and Starcraft and Mass Effect.
I got introduced to Half Life first. Then Fallout 3 but not the original or the sequel. After playing 3, I became a fan. It has one of the most brilliantly thought out stories. I am still smitten by the gameplay though.

After that came Mass Effect. I have not finished it due to bouts of laziness.

I might have missed a lot of games because I play on my laptop and can not afford a console here in India. Damn! Those things are costly.
vector7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 11:57 AM   #47 (permalink)

Ff7
ff x
ff 12
ff 13
mass effect
dragon age
halo sires
Abd-L-zeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 06:11 PM   #48 (permalink)
Guardian of a Guardian

In my opinion there is no best, because you can't compare most of them at all. There are different stories what you can enjoy or not. So here is my list about those what I enjoyed the most. These are my top SFF game stories

Science Fiction

Homeworld Series (HW Cataclysm included, I loved them all)
Deus Ex Series
System Shock 2 (One of my ultimate favorite SF storyline)
Bioshock Series (The first one is a copy paste of System Shock 2.)
Descent Freespace Series (a.k.a. Freespace series, I loved both)
Descent Freespace 2 - Blue Planet Age of Aquarius (The best Freespace 2 mod, with a great story.)
Anachronox (One of the best SF RPG story)
Advent Rising (I want a sequel for this one. )
Culpa Innata (One of the best SF in adventure games)
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
Starlancer
Freelancer
Star Trek: Bridge Commander
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine The Fallen
Wing Commander 3 - Heart of the Tiger
Wing Commander 4 - The Price of Freedom (Best in the WC series)
Wing Commander 5 - Prophecy
Mass Effect Series (DLCs included)
Knights of the Old Republic Series
Dead Space Series
Bulletstorm (Typical revenge story, but it was well presented and had depth.)
StarCraft Series (Including Brood War, SC2 was a step back.)
Metro 2033 (Based on the novel.)

Fantasy
Assassin's Creed Series (Brotherhood included)
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (Ultimate 1001 Nights atmosphere)
Prince of Persia: Prodigy (a.k.a. Prince of Persia 2008)
The Longest Journey and The Longest Journey: Dreamfall
Dragon Age: Origins
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
Freelancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 02:17 AM   #49 (permalink)
Waiting in the Sky

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Okami
Bioshock
Machinarium
Star Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 08:02 PM   #50 (permalink)

Sid Meier's Alpha Centari was good, I also liked System Shock 2 and Deus Ex. I tried Starcraft but didn't like it so much, but Starcraft 2 is fun. I've had fun with WoW, Diablo 2 and Baldur's Gate 2 as well.

I tend to play games like Counter Strike more often
JulioM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 07:22 PM   #51 (permalink)
Global village idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsgrin View Post
Lord of the Rings Online has in incredibly rich story (if you follow the Epic quest chain), far far richer than any other MMO.
For that I love you.

Yeah, for sheer immersion factor I'd go with LotRO for fantasy (yeah, there's a lot of "Kill x number of y!" quests, but they're always immaculately reasoned), and SW:KotOR, or perhaps Mass Effect 2, for SF. I'll be honest though, I don't play many SF games, so I might be a little bit undereducated on the matter.

EDIT: What was I thinking? Obviously Deus Ex (original) wins the SF vote from me.

Last edited by Ashcroft; 30th October 2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Changed my mind.
Ashcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 12:13 PM   #52 (permalink)
A Lerxst in Wonderland

Apart from agreeing with most of what's already been mentioned, I'll add a shout for Metroid Prime. I liked the way you could gradually piece together the story by reading logbooks and data entries and such. It created a very atmospheric, very alien game world. I suppose the original Halo had its moments. Eternal Darkness was very good at the time, too, with a great story and brilliant ways of showing the character losing his or her sanity.

Going back a bit, some of the old LucasArts adventure games had great stories, like Day of the Tentacle and The Dig.

Does anyone else remember It Came From The Desert?
Bugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 02:14 PM   #53 (permalink)

It's interesting that I have seen FF12 brought up a few times, yet a lot of people I have spoken to slate it, FF12 was probably my favorite story out of the FF series. It seemed to have such a great balance and the cultural aspects within the story had such realism.

To add to the list -

FF8 - Was the first one of the series that I ever played and as such remains a favorite.

Drakongard 1 & 2 - Just really enjoyed the games.

Apart from those three I don't have anything to add from whats already been brought up.

Oh and Shadow Hearts was really quite good.
ragtagblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 03:13 PM   #54 (permalink)
wandering

The original Resident Evil game is worth a mention, some very common ideas with zombies, haunted house etc and the voice acting was so bad it was bizarre but the atmosphere and storyline were spot on for the game.
Quokka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 04:46 PM   #55 (permalink)

Was FF12 the one with Balthier, the Judges and nethicite?

I think that was a missed opportunity. I liked a lot of the political plot, but it felt half-done.

I agree on Shadow Hearts (and Covenant), but my favourite is Phantasy Star IV.
thaddeus6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 02:54 AM   #56 (permalink)
wandering

Great game phantasy star IV, I mentioned on another thread that Sega have done a lot of my favourite RPGs and you had to love anime cut scenes on the megadrive.

I finished Valkyria Chronicles last night and it's probably not the best SFF story ever... but it comes pretty close.

There's at least 3 cut scenes for every battle and even then a lot of it's not real time so it relys a lot on the storyline and imo some of the dialoges a bit clunky and some of the side characters a little simple but they're minor grumbles and over all it's a really excellent fictional WW2 story.
Quokka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 06:13 PM   #57 (permalink)
Thaphireth!

It's one thing if a game has a good story, but is that story easily accessible? In a single player game, the story should readily unfold. I find that most rpgs allow the story to flow, but whether the story is good or not is another question.

For instance, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is a fun game, easily understood game, with an intruiging story. The game is linear through the first planet and the last one, but in between you can choose the order in which you do the other three or four. You can pick up companions for your quest and their side stories are interesting. The ability to choose between the slow advance to prove yourself a servant of the Republic or the descent into evil is omnipresent. But the real fun is that there are chances/temptations to throw it all away and reverse you alignment to the Force. There is also an option for a romance for the main character... with a chance for it to all go horribly wrong.

SWKOTOR was a lot of fun... and I'm not a Sci-fi guy. It does not inspire me, fantasy does. And I found Dragon Age: Origins to be an awesome story. In addition to companions, romance (multiple options), and saving the world, there is a major political game to be played. Who will you support in the fight for the crown? Which allies will you recruit? Which side will you take in the controversy between the Chantry and the Magicians? And here is the major spoiler... Warning! Do not highlight if you are planning on playing:
Quote:
The final boss can only be defeated by one of your party sacrificing their life... and you get to decide who it is.
All that (especially the companions and the political game) combined to make DA:O an engrossing story.

In comparison, Dragon Age: Awakenings paled. The gameplay is the same. You still get interesting companions and a few interesting story choices. But the scope of the story does not compare. In the first game you save your country and, by extension, the whole world. But in the second game, it does not feel like you're saving anyone. You just amass a fortune of gold and a military power base for your character's personal use. When I play a fantasy game I want the character to end up as Aragorn, not Donald Trump. The story was not compelling.

The story must also flow and unfold fairly easily for the player. A good friend of mine got Skyrim the day it was released, but finally quit last week. He felt his character was gimped beyond any redemption. His character accquired a certain disease... and he refused to look up online a solution. So I looked it up, without telling him, and talked to him with nonchalant, but leading questions. He's frustrated because his character has become a villain of infamous reputation. He's constantly attacked on sight by villagers and guards. And with a dragon now guarding the one place he could temporarily suppress his disease, he feels that the game has put him in an untenable position. He will not read online for fear of massive spoilers and the game itself does not allow him to easily find clues to a solution.

Those are all single player games, I've found MMOs more difficult to find and follow the story. I've played City of Heroes, Guild Wars, Star Wars: Galaxies, World of Warcraft, and Lord of the Rings Online. I find that the one major problem in finding the story is that I must be in a group to follow the main story. The most epic dungeons and bosses cannot be defeated single-handedly. I undertand this concept... it's a massively multiplayer game. But I've never, I repeat... never, been in a group of eight or more people who want to wait for me to read the dialogue, check my new clues, watch the cinematics, and digest the development in the story. They all want to rush off to attack the next mob. So either I fall behind and get kicked from the group or else I forget the story so I can rush along heedless of the real reason we're in the dungeon... it's all about the loot... the long-lost-epic-demon-slaying-warhammer-of-the-legendary-elf-general-Kickassidor-Beatdownicus!!!!

So, I no longer follow the main story. I play mmos just like I play Civilization or the Total War games.... I make up my own story as I go along. I'm not saying mmos are not fun, just that they are nigh impossible for me to access and enjoy the meat of the story.

Maybe, I'm just getting old... What was I saying? Oh, I like stories. I don't want blood for blood's sake. I want there to be compelling reasons for the hero to fight specific foes. I want interesting characters to surround the main character. I want there to be despicable villains. I want the choices to come with a cost. And I want the story to flow... yet be open to my exploration. I don't want to repeat the same fight a dozen times until I get it right... the thing that will stick in my mind are the eleven defeats and not the one victory... I want to remember the hero as victorious, not humiliated.

Edit: I should probably add that SWKOTOR and SWKOTOR II:The Sith Lords are two different games. The Sith Lords is a sequel. TSL succeeds by building upon the locations, characters, and political situation at the end of KOTOR. By itself, the story has holes and flaws... for example, one Sith Lord can eat entire planets (yes, you read that correctly), but he's not the final boss. In fact, he's not one of the final two bosses. WHAT?!?! I just defeated Galactus... and that was... not... the climax... of the story? Yeah.... riiiiiiiight.

The game was rushed by the developers/publishers to make Christmas and the end of the year sales, so the droid factory planet and the the entire HK-50 storyline was nerfed. But if you enjoy KOTOR, then try TSL, I'm sure it's out there for $5 US.

KOTOR was developed by Bioware while TSL was developed by Obsidian. Coincidentally, Dragon Age was also developed by Bioware. On the strength of those two games, I've started Mass Effect... another Bioware title. I dunno, the mini game of Simon (the 80's electronic game) that I'm required to play to open in order to find any loot is very irritating. That is stupid... at least I should be able to turn off that feature. I'm trying to follow the story... after KOTOR, the return of Raphael Sbarge is slightly disconcerting.

Last edited by Boaz; 10th December 2011 at 06:46 PM.
Boaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 07:33 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Edit: I should probably add that SWKOTOR and SWKOTOR II:The Sith Lords are two different games. The Sith Lords is a sequel. TSL succeeds by building upon the locations, characters, and political situation at the end of KOTOR. By itself, the story has holes and flaws... for example, one Sith Lord can eat entire planets (yes, you read that correctly), but he's not the final boss. In fact, he's not one of the final two bosses. WHAT?!?! I just defeated Galactus... and that was... not... the climax... of the story? Yeah.... riiiiiiiight.

The game was rushed by the developers/publishers to make Christmas and the end of the year sales, so the droid factory planet and the the entire HK-50 storyline was nerfed. But if you enjoy KOTOR, then try TSL, I'm sure it's out there for $5 US.
i actually found TSL a far more compelling story, and quite a lot LESS cliched than KOTOR. The Exile is a far more complex and interesting character than ...you know who, who's name would be a spoiler for anyone unfortunate enough to not play KOTOR already... (though you-know-who's pre-game history is intriguing, the exile's actual game is far more so)
That Darth Nihilus is NOT the final boss makes perfect sense from the storyline we're presented with. And whilst Kreia's line when you comment about powerful he is, and her reply is "really? you think? If you ask me, he's practically crippled." (paraphrased somewhat ), seems almost like a throwaway copout, from what we know about the Star Wars universe, it makes not only sense, but its perfectly logical.

Yes we can blame Atari for the rush job. HK-47/50's factory being scrapped was only painful since we know its supposed to be there as an intriguing side-quest. "Meat-bags" my favourite quote from either game.
devilsgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 04:56 AM   #59 (permalink)
SUN STEALER

I think both Mass Effect (1 and 2) and the Halo games have some of the best stories. The Halo universe gets a lot deeper if you read the novels too.
Galacticdefender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 12:27 AM   #60 (permalink)

A very under rated game is lost odyessey, one of the best rpgs ive played in awhile but the storyline is fantastic
juelz4sure is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: