Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > General > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself here and be officially welcomed!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th September 2010, 05:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

G'day

Hello,
Just a quick introduction. Thought I'd join up here after lurking for a couple of weeks. Have found stacks of useful information here and thought I should join up to say thanks.

I'm currently working on a first draft for a fantasy novel but am interested in many genres of literature.

Looking forward to contributing on the forum

Cheers

r m

P.S. Is there anyway to change my user name. I have the M and the R backwards.
R M Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 06:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Goblin Princess

Re: G'day

Consider yourself welcome under any initials! (I've left a note in the staff room explaining your difficulty, so that one of our administrators will see it and perchance come to your aid.)

As you say you are writing a fantasy novel and have been lurking here a while, you may already have heard of our monthly Writing Challenges. Participating in the challenge and the accompanying thread where we keep up a running discussion on the stories is a great way to meet other writers on the site -- not to mention exercise those creative muscles, crafting a winning entry in 75 words or less.

http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum...last-post.html is closed, and the time for voting almost over (although the time is not so short as I write this that there isn't enough to read through the stories and vote for a favorite), but October and a new Challenge are just around the corner.

I tell you this simply out of the goodness of my heart, to save you from the tactics of a certain lady jurist who is no doubt lurking in a thicket somewhere, ready and waiting to use her fell powers, in order to recruit you. If you come quietly and of your own volition, you may get off with a light sentence. (Preferably one not more than 75 words long.)

Other than that, you might enjoy A Quick Tour of the Forums , to help you find your way around.

Last edited by Teresa Edgerton; 28th September 2010 at 06:29 AM.
Teresa Edgerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi Mr RM... I kinda think of someone going "rrm, rrm" like a racing car, so I'm stuck with that. Whether you're working forwards or in reverse, this is definitely the place to get the most out of it. Welcome!!
Boneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Truth. Order. Moderation.

My reputation precedes me, alas.

I shall de-lurk from my thicket, the ambuscade well and truly foiled, and present myself full-square upon the path, calling "Stand and Deliver Your Vote" (Hmmm. Note to self: highwaywomen instead of pirates... might be worth pursuing...) Teresa has shown you where you are needed, now get on over there and prepare yourself for the thundering arrival of the coach and four which will be the October Challenge.

Whatever valuables you have upon your person, you will be allowed to retain for the time being. You will need them, for the possibility of obtaining more while you are chained 24/7 to the Chronicles is remote in the extreme.

With a swirl of my cape, and a vault onto my Black Bess I shall enter again into the haunt of the thieves, cut-purses and general ne'er-do-wells that is Aspiring Writers. I hope to see you there, me hearty... oh, damn... the pirate is taking over again...

(PS. Hello and Welcome!)
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
pixie druid

welcome
nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the warm welcome and for fixing my login.

Good to see I am already embroiled in some intrigue as well. I should keep my wits about me (what few I have)

I have taken a look at the first few pages of the Challenge and have been impressed.

Are there any other threads I should take note of? There is a wealth of topics but I'd rather take the King's road before venturing into the wilds.

Last edited by R M Tobias; 29th September 2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling
R M Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 04:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mad Mountain Man

Hello and welcome to the madhouse (but then you've been around for a while so you must already know that's what it really is)!
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 05:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Truth. Order. Moderation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R M Tobias View Post
Are there any other threads I should take note of? There is a wealth of topics but I'd rather take the King's road before venturing into the wilds.
It rather depends on your tastes. Just wandering through Aspiring Writers will cost you a good many hours. I would recommend the Writing Challenge Discussion pages as a place to see the Highway Robbers Collective in action -- a motley bunch, most of them destined for the hemp fandango I doubt me not. http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum...ember-165.html (Don't worry about understanding everything -- it's a bit like thieves' cant or any other foreign language. At first it's bewildering, but if you immerse yourself, then soon a glimmer of light begins to dawn.)

Also, as you're a writer, spend some time looking at the pieces for critique. It's far too early for you to think of putting your own stuff up, but if you see how other excerpts are critiqued, it will prepare you for the dread day when you have to call "Stand and Deliver Your Worst" for yourself. You might also think about how you would comment on pieces, as it's a valuable way of learning. These two threads might help: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Rules and Guidelines for Posting in the Critiques Forum and Some tips for those who are new or unsure about the process of critiquing

Any more questions, just ask away, me hearty... (oh, bu**er... it's back again...)
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Wicked Sword Maiden

Greetings and Welcome to The Chronicles
Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 08:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Destroyer of Words

An initially warm ewlcome, which becomes a warm welcome very quickly
Interference is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 09:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Scottish Roman

Hi and welcome aboard. Mind the spider.
The Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 11:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Outta sight

Welcome to the madness!
SpaceShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 09:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
resident pedantissimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Mail
As with the scarecrow in Oz, it is somewhat dependent on where you want to go which route you take to get there. nixie (hmm, as she steers clear of capitalisation on her name, does that hold over to beginning of sentences, I wonder) did a brief guide to the sights of the site, stickied at the beginning of "introductions", but the kings didn't really have much more idea when laying out their highway/loway/very low puns network about how to get around without getting lost than the poorest tinker.

There is logic to the layout, if you happen to resonate to that particular rationale, but, if not, what's wrong with a brisk trek through the wilds? Most of the wolves are, if not herbivorous, at least too polite to eat potential sources of conversation, and anyway they, as well as even odder denizens, are as likely to be found in the lounge as wandering the less populated regions.

Well, I got here too late to push you towards the challenge vote, so perhaps I could apply pressure so you – no, I see you already did.

I'll just welcome you in then, shall I?
chrispenycate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 09:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

Welcome!

I want to know how you could possibly get your own name wrong when registering, but am too polite to ask. So I shall just look enquiring. Like a spaniel gazing at a biscuit.
Jane Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 09:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Certified Space Monkey

A belated Hello and Welcome to the Chrons!
Dr.Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: