Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Books and Literature > Horror

Horror Discuss horror writers and their works

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th October 2010, 09:21 PM   #31 (permalink)

Re: Good New Horror

I've not yet read Cardin's work, though he is included in a couple of anthologies I have set aside to read (and one I will be ordering soon). However, here is a bibliography for him, which may be of aid:

Matt Cardin - Bibliography
j. d. worthington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 11:28 PM   #32 (permalink)
Sophomoric Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fried Egg View Post
Well thanks for your analysis of their comparative styles. Matt Cardin does sound interesting.
Cardin's decent, though not quite on the level of Ligotti. The most Ligottian writer I've come across (besides Ligotti himself) is Mark Samuels. I'm currently reading his collection Glyphotech and hope to post a review shortly.
nomadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 08:30 AM   #33 (permalink)
Science fiction fantasy

Smile Re: Good New Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connavar View Post
Has someone read any good new horror that is more like Necrocope. Original or just good vampire mythos or very good werewolf horror.

Those type of horror i want to read in newer horror. Not just the lame versions in urban,paranormal fantasy...
I honestly haven't read any of his books but I know that W. D. Gagliani has written some recent werewolf novels, you might check them out.
dlsevern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 02:38 AM   #34 (permalink)

A couple of suggestions:

Dark Harvest, by Norman Partridge
121 to Pennsylvania, by Kealan Patrick Burke
Secret Hours, by Michael Cisco
D_Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 05:38 AM   #35 (permalink)
Science fiction fantasy

S.P. Somtow wrote a great werewolf novel called Moondance.
Old 31st July 2011, 12:01 AM   #36 (permalink)
Sophomoric Mystic

I recently read a few decent tales in the excellent Mythos collection Cthulhu 2000. I'm not sure how modern most of these stories are as, despite its title, most of the pieces collected here date back to the seventies and early eighties. At any rate, it indtroduced me to a number of writers whom I would have otherwise missed, writers like Michael Shea and F Paul Wilson, whose tales in this collection are excellent. Another writer whom I hope to read more of is James Van Pelt, whose powerful tale of racism and cruelty in a turn of the century mining town, The Invisible Empire, was a standout in another but more disappointing Mythos anthology, The Children of Cthulhu.

Terry Lamsley is a relatively little known author who, for the last twenty years, has been quietly producing some of the best horror it's been my pleasure to read. His tales are very much in the vein of MR James and Robert Aickman, restrained and subtly disturbing tales set in out of the way locations colored with local flavor. Tim Lebbon is another pretty good writer, though I've not read nearly enough of his work to comment decisively as yet.
nomadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 08:18 PM   #37 (permalink)
Science fiction fantasy

here's one that may be up your alley, T.E.D. Klein's "The Ceremonies"
Old 31st August 2011, 01:42 PM   #38 (permalink)
Trans-MUTE!

I don't read a lot of horror, but I really enjoyed "Koko". Outstanding book!

I have heard good things about "Feed" by Mira Grant and might give that a try.

Regarding Anne Rice - I also loved "Interview with the Vanpire". I have read some of the sequels. "The Vampire Lestat" was pretty good, but I think the quality dropped off after that!

a
antiloquax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 03:55 PM   #39 (permalink)
The Bloody Scribbler

Peter Straub's Ghost Story is good. I don't know any other work of his however.

I'm an old school Stephen King horror fan myself, gonna keep an eye on this thread though for new things to read.
Grizzgreen711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 02:41 PM   #40 (permalink)
Writer, reader, reviewer

I've read a few bits and pieces by Simon Kurt Unsworth over the last few months and have been quite impressed. I reviewed one of his short stories - "A Place for Feeding" - last year and called it "one of the most profoundly discomfiting stories I've ever read". His new portmanteau collection of ghost stories, "Quiet Houses, is being released later this month and is also rather good. He does a nice line in understated, M.R. James-esque chills.
P.G.Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 02:06 AM   #41 (permalink)

T. E. D. Klein hasn't published any new stories in ages, right? The last new book of his that I saw was called something like Reassuring Tales and was a collection of old stuff.
Extollager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 03:21 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extollager View Post
T. E. D. Klein hasn't published any new stories in ages, right? The last new book of his that I saw was called something like Reassuring Tales and was a collection of old stuff.
Yeah, and that collection is less than mediocre at best (but worth a ton of money - I should sell mine). I've read that Klein really struggles with writing.
D_Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 03:51 AM   #43 (permalink)

Indeed he does. The Ceremonies took him nearly a decade to write, if I recall correctly; and the four tales in Dark Gods were written over the span of six years or more. He has, however, had other pieces which have been anthologized, but I'm not certain whether they have ever been collected together....
j. d. worthington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 07:38 PM   #44 (permalink)

Try Jack Kilborn's Afraid yet? Won't disappoint!
SeaGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 12:09 PM   #45 (permalink)

Well, I feel that since I started this thread that I should report back my findings.

I've since tried Laird Barron's "Imago Sequence" and that was very good. I look forward to reading "Occultation" shortly and am hearing good things about his first novel "The Croning".

Mark Sammuels was outstanding with his collection "The White Hands and other weird stories". Definitely plan on reading more of him.

I don't think Jonathan Thomas was mentioned in this thread but I read "Midnight Call and other stories" and "Tempting Providence and other stories" and they were both very good. Another original and highly versatile author.

I read "The Divinity Student" by Michael Cisco and enjoyed that very much. I'm considering trying "The Tyrant" next.

I haven't got around to trying Matt Cardin yet but hope to eventually. I have a few enquiries though. Has anyone read anything of Reggie Oliver, Mark Valentine, Angela Slatter and Robert Dunbar? I've been hearing some interesting things about these authors.
Fried Egg is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: