Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Authors > George R R Martin

George R R Martin Discuss the writings of author GRRM.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th June 2010, 01:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Orange Aide ;)

Re: What We're Watching.

Well the thread is still here and I doubt the moderators are in a process of heated deliberation, so I'll go out on a limb and say a big THANK YOU to them.

Should I maybe re-name or add the words 'off-topic' to the title, as Imp suggests?
No One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 07:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

I haven't seen a summer movie yet this year I really want to see Inception when it comes out though. Just the kind of mental-circus thriller/mystery I'm fond of.

Started watching 'The Good Guys' on FOX, very amusing show. Light hearted and fun with a strong cast. I recommend pretty much all the original programming they have on USA network (Burn Notice, Psych, Royal Pains, etc.). Burn Notice is especially awesome.

I enjoyed Sopranos, but it starts to really fall off in season 4. Season 5 and beyond just didn't have the same feel and didn't drive me to watch. Of HBO series, I can't recommend Carnivale highly enough. The most well done fantasy show I've ever seen...very subtle. The pacing isn't for everyone and there isn't much gratuitous violence. But it's chock-full of symbolism, foreshadowing, mythology and all the other little tricks we're so fond of in GRRM's work.
Lofwyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 12:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
the dude abides

What I'm watching these days is chiefly baseball, specifically my beloved Detroit Tigers. Non-sports wise though, I keep re-watching my Firefly dvd's, and am working my way through Battlestar Galactica, which is incredible.

But in an effort to tie it to the forum... I highly recommend the Wire. It's an HBO original series and gives a taste of the kind of quality tv they can do (which bodes well for our beloved series). In addition, it does for modern urban America what GRRM does for a medieval fantasy setting. The characters are all complex, complete with conflicting goals and desires and tons of political maneuvering. It's easily the best show I've ever seen on tv (though Firefly and Arrested Development are my favorites).
soulsinging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 01:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Orange Aide ;)

Lofwyr - Carnivale is yet another HBO series I keep telling myself to watch. Pity it only had a short run. Speaking of which...

Soulsinging - Firefly was/is great. Shocking treatment by its network.
Old 18th June 2010, 08:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
S.M.R.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Am I the only Lost fanatic on this forum? I bet I am the only Lost fanatic on this forum that actually has not seen the final episode. Please don't ruin it for me.
Buckbeak kills Dobby
Wiggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 03:41 AM   #21 (permalink)
TPA

Liar....It was Gollum!
TPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 12:59 AM   #22 (permalink)
Orange Aide ;)

Okay, so this is off-topic. I mean from what we're watching. So it's kind of on topic. Except this initially came up on another thread as an off-topic discussion. Confused? You will be, on the next episode of Soap (now does anyone remember that?). Anyway...

Cul - could you kindly point me in the direction of said information regarding Jaqen at King's Landing from AFFC? This is not about the Syrio/Jaqen thing, just me wanting a clearer picture of Jaqen's movements. Nor is this about me trying to distract you in any way shape or form from your most triumphant run in the World Cup tipping contest. Honest.

Of course, if anyone else knows off the top of their heads where this info is then your intervention would be appreciated. It might be a couple of days before I get the chance to scan AFFC thoroughly enough. Cheers.
Old 21st June 2010, 04:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Lochaber Axeman, QC

Quote:
Originally Posted by No One View Post
Okay, so this is off-topic. I mean from what we're watching. So it's kind of on topic. Except this initially came up on another thread as an off-topic discussion. Confused? You will be, on the next episode of Soap (now does anyone remember that?). Anyway...
Man, do I feel old...
Clansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 06:06 PM   #24 (permalink)
Thaphireth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Imp View Post
Boston winning will be the ultimate proff that there is no God. I say that as a very long time fan of the NY Knicks.
Imp, NY failing again is proof that there is no conspiracy in the NBA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Am I the only Lost fanatic on this forum? I bet I am the only Lost fanatic on this forum that actually has not seen the final episode. Please don't ruin it for me.
TK, I won't ruin the final episode, the writers and producers did that all on their own. Do yourself a favor... Stop watching now and just remember LOST for the journey and not the destination. But then of course, the creators thought it was a good idea and many people liked the ending... but not me.
Boaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 02:49 AM   #25 (permalink)
I Do Not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggum View Post
Buckbeak kills Dobby
Very funny. Hey, Wigs, where the hell have you been? Been a while.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 06:03 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
Imp, NY failing again is proof that there is no conspiracy in the NBA.
The Knicks.

I was at The Garden when we had Willis, Dave, CLyde, The Pearl, Dollar Bill, etc. To say I'm a long-suffering fan is an understatement. WHat makes things even worse is that I live in Mass and no one could blame me for giving up, jumping ship, and rooting for the Cs, especially after they hot Garnett and Ray. In the spirit of Paul revere though, I still say screw them and the horses they rode in on.

I remain hopeful that they'll sign one, maybe two top FAs soon and at least be competitive next season. Unfortunately, ASOIAF may be finished before they next win a championship.
The Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 06:08 PM   #27 (permalink)
Orange Aide ;)

Personally, I didn't understand any of that...but welcome back Imp.
Old 27th June 2010, 06:24 PM   #28 (permalink)

As is obvious from my last post, I'm back from my trip to Colorado My wife's conference was in Estes Park (3 days) and we then did a big circle, going from EP to Leadville, Montrose, Grand Junction, Silverton, Durango, Colorado Springs, Boulder, and then back to Denver (where we started) It was an amazing trip, one, I'd recommend to anyone who loves jawdropping views of nature at its' besxt. I'll post a link to Photobucket after i edit down my pics and clean them up. I think I got some nice stuff.

I was REALLY hoping against hope that after 9 days of not checking baords, email, etc. we'd have news of ADWD. No such luck though.

Nice to be back
Old 27th June 2010, 06:29 PM   #29 (permalink)
Thaphireth!

I understood every syllable of it. Which only shows that I'm a basketball geek.

By the way, I posted yesterday in Cul's Sports Bar. Some of you sports watchers might find it interesting, some of you might want to tell me I'm full of it.
Boaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 09:23 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
I understood every syllable of it. Which only shows that I'm a basketball geek.

By the way, I posted yesterday in Cul's Sports Bar. Some of you sports watchers might find it interesting, some of you might want to tell me I'm full of it.
After about 4k posts on a basketball forum I've given up. Sifting through the crap that comes with adolescent boys, bigots, illiterates, etc. has become more trouble than it was ever worth. I'm going to click that link as soon as I hit "send".

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: