Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Aspiring Writers > Writing Resources

Writing Resources Resources for those serious about getting into publishing

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th April 2010, 01:52 PM   #31 (permalink)
www.mikerevell.com

Re: FORMATTING YOUR MANUSCRIPT -- Read this before starting a new thread on the subje

I'll post my question in here, too, because I hadn't seen this thread when I asked it.

What are the differences between online manuscript format, and the more traditional one mentioned here?

I've seen some online magazines asking for online format, which seems to be a single line between paragraphs, and italics done like _this_ instead of like this -- but is there anything else?
Old 7th May 2010, 09:24 AM   #32 (permalink)
The Ants are my friends..

Re: FORMATTING YOUR MANUSCRIPT -- Read this before starting a new thread on the subje

Yea. Thanks for this Teresa, but what's with 'online' format.
Old 7th May 2010, 06:49 PM   #33 (permalink)
Goblin Princess

It should be the same for an online submission as for a printed manuscript, unless the guidelines specifically ask for something else. They frequently do ask for something a bit different, so it is important to check.

I have no idea why anyone would want _italics_ instead of italics, or simply italics. There doesn't seem to be much point, but if that is what they ask for, of course that is what you need to do.

I can see asking for the story to be formatted the way it will appear online, but someone else will have to explain the reasoning behind the _italics_. I was hoping that other published writers would add their expertise to this thread. My experience, though long, is all with print publishing.
Old 8th May 2010, 12:04 PM   #34 (permalink)
roar

I've had a few things published online and yeah, they pretty much all ask for different formatting so definitely read the guidelines.

I've never come across somewhere that's asked for _italics_ yet though. Maybe it's something to do with how the work gets uploaded to the website?
Old 16th July 2010, 09:27 PM   #35 (permalink)

When you say one third of the page for chapter one. etc. what do you mean. does that mean not under the border of the page?
As in don't just write chapter one straight away press return a couple times? Why would that be?
I'm testing my formatting out, I've done 2.50cms and that pushes the Chapter heading half way down.

And in the heading, should I include phonenumber and email?
Old 16th July 2010, 10:04 PM   #36 (permalink)
Goblin Princess

Address and phone number only on page one (or the cover page if you have one).

How you go about starting your chapters approximately 1/3 down from the top of the page doesn't matter -- you can hit the return several times, or do something to the document formatting in inches or centimeters, however you like to do it -- the important thing is that your manuscript look professional, and that you leave that space at the beginning of each chapter for all the notations that editors and others might put there during the editing and the production process.
Old 16th July 2010, 10:49 PM   #37 (permalink)

Well i'm sure they'd be enough space around the margins. Thanks. Also, is it 1inch at the left or at both sides?
Old 16th July 2010, 11:44 PM   #38 (permalink)
Goblin Princess

One inch top, bottom, left, right.

Plus that 1/3 page at the beginnings of chapters. They use the space in various ways.
Old 17th July 2010, 12:06 AM   #39 (permalink)

Seems that's an awful lot of hassle.........Well I've gotten to 70'000 words and I'm not going to quit now......Thing is I haven't formatted it yet. It's still an ordinary word document. Ah...krud
Old 17th July 2010, 10:09 AM   #40 (permalink)
Bearly Believable

If you'd typed those 70,000 words on paper using a typewriter, it would have been a hassle.

Changing page formats in most vaguely-current versions of Word (and other WP programs) is a doddle.

Even the business with chapter headings can be done simply: either by adding a few carriage returns or by changing the style you use for the chapter titles.

(Page formatting is so easy: I've even, as an ego trip, made a version of my WIP1 to look (on screen) like a paperback book. Yes, I know: very sad. But it cheered me up at the time and it gave me a real idea of how many pages long it really would be, which is one reason why WIP1 is only two-thirds the length it once was. )
Old 17th July 2010, 10:44 AM   #41 (permalink)

I did that too. I altered the borders and changed the page to A5 the nearest book format I could make and I was like WOW 355 pages from a 157 A4 manuscript

It does cheer you up because on the A4 sheet you have plots that you thought would last for half the book ending on page 100, but you find that actually they go on till page 300
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: