Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Science fiction and fantasy > Gaming

Gaming Discussion area for virtual and non-virtual games and gaming - computer games for home PCs, internet MMORPG, and paper and pencil Role Playing Games (RPG).

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

Online Games (What are you playing?)

I was going to add a post to the current What Are you Playing thread, but I thought this slightly different enough to warrant a new thread.

So what online games are you playing at that moment? (Be it long, effort-involving ones, or simple minute-long flash games (damn you, Bejewelled Blitz and your time-stealing ways...)).

A friend visited over the weekend and was playing on Kingdom of Loathing. Now, of course, I've been sucked into the damned thing. Only been playing a couple of days, but it's already getting addictive. Appearance and technique wise it's pretty basic but the more I play, the more I realise how big the damned place is. So much to do.

However, I have used up my Adventures for the day, am too full to eat anything to get more, and am too poor or not levelled-up enough to get anything item-worthy to get a few more Adventures.

For Adventuring with a quirky, humourous twist, though, you might want to check it out. As an example, I am currently a Jiggy Grifter, with a nine-pound mosquito as my familiar, my skills are Disco Aerobics and Suckerpunch and I am "Somewhat Drunk" because I've been drinking alcohol to get more Adventure time. Drink too much and you get too drunk to do anything.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Can I be a cactus?

Re: Online Games (What are you playing?)

Well, as for me, I tend to prefer DDO, mostly, these days.

I still visit the games made by Artix Entertainment from time to time, though.....
Karn Maeshalanadae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

Sorry, what's DDO?

I will be getting Star Wars TOR when it finally comes out. Oher than that, online games are pretty scary as i think i could get really lost in them.
Rodders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

Dungeons and Dragons Online, I think.

I am now far too drunk to Adventure anymore. I keep stumbling into gutters and having monsters trip over me. I have to wait for a few hours to sober up and get more Time.
Old 18th March 2010, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Immortal Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
Sorry, what's DDO?

I will be getting Star Wars TOR when it finally comes out. Oher than that, online games are pretty scary as i think i could get really lost in them.
I am in the same boat, I think I will get TOR though.
Cayal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 04:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lady of Autumn

Whilst I don't play any of the mainstream online games, I used to play Popmundo, a music based game, a little while ago. I left after it got a bit boring for me, though. I have been tempted recently to join another mafia game (which I suppose is technically an online game, if only a forum based one).

Aside from that, there's only an adoptables site I visit, and the occasional flash game when my sister finds one she thinks I'll like.
Talysia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Direwolf of the chrons

Hoopy = take my stern advice and

STAY AWAY FROM THE WOW!

seriously it should be a class A drug for what it does to peoples!

As for online I tried Guildwars (Because its one payment and none of that pay per month stuff which whilst acceptable does just drain the money away) and meh the story was not that exciting and I found that unless you happen to find really good players its really rather a drag...... at least level grinding in Final Fantasy lets you get to the story and cutscenes.
Nice thing about guildwars though was that levels were capped at 20 and it was not hard to get there. The game keeps expanding after, but it means that you don't have to play 27*7 to level up your character just to remain decent.
Overread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 07:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Iago with a Blackberry

Don't worry, I'm steering clear of WoW. I know I'd get thoroughly addicted.

I'm not having chance to get addicted to Kingdom of loathing because I keep messing myself up. Yesterday I took some goofballs from a Suspicious Guy in the Back Alley and today I had goofball withdrawal which halves your stats for one hundred adventures. So I couldnt do much at all. I am now, again, far too drunk too to anything and am out of adventures. I need to get into rehab or something (although I am clean of goofballs now...)
Old 20th March 2010, 02:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Waiting at the Crossroads

Battlefield Bad Company 2, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Call of Duty 4 mainly...bit of Guild Wars in there when I get bored with FPS.
Tsujigiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 04:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Last of the Windsong Clan

Not playing any MMO's right now, though I do have a WoW account with a few characters at level 80. My favorite to play is my Blood Elf hunter, mostly because I like to tame the rare's for pets

I don't usually reactivate the account unless they come out with a new expansion or something so I can level my characters again because otherwise I find it to boring.

Oh! and about a week ago I went to check my account and it said I had to setup some BattleNet account to be able to continue to play WoW, so while I was able to verify my account was still there I never did go through all of the steps to convert my account to a BattleNet Account...
Rahl Windsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 07:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

atm not paying any... tho my Lord of the Rings Online account is still active... i checkin in every other week to keep my guild membership...
otherwise, waiting imatiently for Star Wars The Old Republic.
WoW... seriously, i can't understand how people get addicted to a game with such bad graphics, no storyline and such a focus on End Game Raiding....euughh...
devilsgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 03:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lady of Autumn

Well, after all that, I went back to Popmundo, and joined a couple of mafia games (although I'm regretting the latter). Still got the adoptables, too.

I've wasted a fair bit of time on this, though - Akinator, the Web Genius It's a sort of guessing game, where the computer tries to guess the character or person you're thinking of. Pretty accurate, too, which is irritating. I think I've only been able to flummox it about 5 or so times!
Talysia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 12:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Direwolf of the chrons

That is actually quite accurate and scary Talysia! It guessed Angelus and Temeraire, but totaly failed to get Whiskyjack - but then again famous dragons are actually far more rare than famous swordmen
edit - ok it got whiskyjack in the end!!!

As for me Battleforge has hooked me for the present. Online card game/RTS hybrid and rather a novelty in that you pay for cards for game content (warriors etc..).
Overread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 10:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

I enjoy Guild Wars and am avidly waiting for the release of Guild Wars 2, because the videos the game developers have shown are just stunningly beautiful.
Also, Silkroad Online is a fun MMORPG similar to WoW, although Silkroad is free and always has crowded servers that take hours to login to, which might be the main reason I've quit playing it.

I did try a 10 day free trial of WoW a few years back, but meh, I don't see what's so addicting in it so I never bought it. Maybe it's better that way, at least my wallet won't be complaining this way
treicina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 05:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
The Merchant Prince

I'm looking forward to StarCraft 2. I'm not sure if its out yet and I'm not sure my laptop will meet the minimum system requirements
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: