Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > General > Sport

Sport Sports forum for discussion of sports, sporting events, and sporting activities.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th October 2010, 12:07 PM   #91 (permalink)
L'Homme Qui Rit

Re: F1 2010. (caution - may contain result spoilers just after a race...)

Slightly off topic here but I just think BIG congratulations are in order for Dario Franchitti who has just clinched his third Indy title.

It still bemuses me that many people in the UK bemoan our shortage of sporting champions and yet there's nary a ripple of news when Dario manages such a great result across the pond (Englishman and ex F1 racer Justin Wilson is doing not too badly either and is in big demand in this sport).

Also, Let's hope Dario's young cousin Paul De Resta can clinch the DTM championship and then force his way into F1 next year.
Old 11th October 2010, 05:30 AM   #92 (permalink)
L'Homme Qui Rit

Didn't get much done yesterday with F1, Moto GP and Touring Cars on telly.

It appears Lewis Hamilton's title challemge is succumbing to death by a thousand cuts. Two crashes in the two previous races, a crash in first practice at Suzuka, an enforced gear box change (with corresponding 5 place grid drop) and another gear box problem (a change will lead to another 5 place drop at Korea). Button is scraping points together but not enough. It looks like curtains for the Mclaren boys.

Good day for Red Bull. Vettel was imperrious and puts himself in second equal with Alonso. The Spaniard always said he needed to get a podium here and he's done it. Next, he has to start eating into Webber's points margin.

A fair old bit of carnage and a couple of strange tyre failures. It's fortunate that Rosberg's tyre didn't hit a marshall (as happened in Australia a few years ago and led to the marshall's death) Somebody needs to investigate what happened in both cases.

Apart from Vettel, my driver of the day has got to be Kobayashi with some great overtaking.

Finally, well done to Jorge Lorenzo as the new Moto GP champion and Jason Plato as British Touring Cars Champion
Old 11th October 2010, 08:32 AM   #93 (permalink)

Annoyingly, I woke up in time to watch qualifying, and then slept in for the first time since 1989 and missed the first 20 laps.

Really unlucky for Hamilton, especially as without that second gearbox failure he would have caught Alonso and may have been able to pass him.

I don't agree it's curtains - yet. Next race (whether Korea or the splendid Interlagos) is make or break. It was good for all the top 3, and I think Webber's still the man to beat. Could be any one of them though.

I do like Kobayashi. Shame Heidfeld's only getting about 5 races in the Sauber though.
Old 11th October 2010, 09:02 AM   #94 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

The worrying thing about Rosberg's and Kubica's wheels coming off is that there is a locking collar fitted to all the wheels on an F1 car specifically designed to stop this happening - I may be wrong, but I believe that this was made mandatory after the accident referred to by Foxbat above...

Petrov has been given a 5-place grid penalty in Korea for causing the accident that took out Hulkenberg and himself in the sprint for the first corner, but the prize for odd incident of the day must go to Lucas di Grassi, who managed to total his Virgin Racing car on the warm-up lap. That won't improve his job prospects for next year...
Old 11th October 2010, 12:55 PM   #95 (permalink)
L'Homme Qui Rit

With regard to wheels - Martin Brundle makes an interesting point in his BBC column that, because the pit stop times are determined now by wheel changing rather than refuelling, then perhaps this is where the problem lies (added pressure on the wheel changers).

Apparently because Hamilton to a grid drop for a faulty gearbox (which subsequently failed) he won't have to take a further drop in Korea for yet another gearbox. So, a bit of good news of sorts for Lewis
Old 24th October 2010, 11:04 AM   #96 (permalink)
L'Homme Qui Rit

Once it got underway, the Korean Grand Prix was pretty intense stuff. Plenty incidents with much biting of finger nails right to the end of the race. Alonso laughing on the radio at the end was indicative of a pretty special win for him and the Prancing Horse. This could be a season definer.

Red Bull had a complete nightmare but Hamilton put in a really solid second place that puts himself right back in the mix. Button is left with a mountain to climb.

It was a race that was spiced up by the rain and Sutil using his Force India as a battering ram.

My money's been on Alonso since the start of the season and, for a while, I thought it was more or less a lost cause but the new points system really helps keep things churning over.
Old 24th October 2010, 11:53 AM   #97 (permalink)

Felt very sorry for Vettel, he showed good character after that catastrophic bad luck.

Ugh. Alonso's the one chap I don't want to win the title. Schumacher had a nice race too.

As well as being good for Alonso, the result keeps almost everyone in the race. Button can technically win, but I can't see it happening. Everyone else has a chance.
Old 25th October 2010, 06:57 AM   #98 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
and Sutil using his Force India as a battering ram.
Heh, yes - if you can't go round them, go through them. I'm amazed the car kept running as long as it did.

Kudos also to Liuzzi - he did his chances of getting a drive next year no harm at all with his best result of the season, a solid 6th place and 8 points.
Old 27th October 2010, 05:09 AM   #99 (permalink)
L'Homme Qui Rit

Sutil was given a 5 place grid penalty and fined. Apparently there was an issue with his car that he failed to report.

Mixed feelings about Liuzzi. It's definitly a great result for him and may well help him keep his seat for next year...very pleased for him....trouble is....I really want to see di Resta get a drive.
Old 27th October 2010, 07:00 AM   #100 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Sutil was given a 5 place grid penalty and fined. Apparently there was an issue with his car that he failed to report.
Perhaps it was the nut holding the steering wheel....

I thought that Red Bull were maybe pushing their luck a little with this, especially as it apparently has a big button on it marked "POWER":

http://en.espnf1.com/korea/motorsport/image/32018.html
Old 27th October 2010, 09:13 AM   #101 (permalink)

All is revealed, pyan!

Red Bull buy Bernie a zimmerframe, then suffer their worst race of the season? Coincide? Perhaps... perhaps not...

On a related note, I hope his crazy medal idea never comes into force.
Old 27th October 2010, 12:59 PM   #102 (permalink)
L'Homme Qui Rit

Great zimmerframe. I'm sure Bernie appreciated it (I hope I'm as active as him if I ever reach his age).

Not keen on the medal idea either. I do like the latest points system though and I also think quali procedures are very good. I think they should just let things be for a few years now. Too much tinkering is never a good thing.
Old 27th October 2010, 03:24 PM   #103 (permalink)

I preferred it when they had to qualify with race fuel [races got more mixed up by strategy, which, excepting Montreal, is now just a single stop and rather dull]. Otherwise, I agree entirely. Qualifying is very exciting.
Old 27th October 2010, 05:23 PM   #104 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

Yes, I think that they've got the qualifying system just about right. I'd like to see refuelling brought back, and I can't see the reasoning behind the total ban on moveable aerodynamic surfaces (I would have thought that allowing them would be a good and relatively cheap way of improving the times of the newbie teams), but all in all, it's not bad at the moment.
Old 28th October 2010, 12:58 PM   #105 (permalink)
L'Homme Qui Rit

Definitely agree - bring back refuelling.

I remember reading somewhere that a greater reliance on moveable aerodynamic surfaces would lead to greater use of aerodynamics in braking. It is feared by some that a catastrophic failure of areodynamic components could also lead to dangerous loss of braking and stability.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: