Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > General > Technology

Technology Technology forums for all aspects of technology, hardware, software, computers, and more.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th January 2010, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
]==[]===O
 
AE35Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Darlington
Posts: 5,763
I hate Microsoft!!

Grrr, we tried to put new music on our mp3 players, but our pc which runs XP SP3 no longer recognises our Creative Zen players! So we roll back to the previous install but then IE7 no longer works, and if we put IE8 on it crashes! IE8 does work with SP3 but then we cant use our MP3 players.....so round and round we go!
We have Mozilla mbut it doesnt work with every site we go on, so our only option now is to use the laptop for putting new music on which runs Vista!
Bloody crazy!!
Note to Bill Gates-not everyone uses iPods!!
AE35Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Press "X" to Admire Hat.
 
Lenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: [I am a spambot, selecting the default option - ban me!]
Posts: 3,652
Blog Entries: 3
Re: I hate Microsoft!!

Apple makes the iPod (Microsoft make the Zune), and their method of getting music on to the device involves tying the iPod down to a single library on a single computer... put it into any other computer, and it will sync (read: wipe) your iPod with that other library - anything on your iPod that isn't in the library gets deleted.

iPod users had a lot of trouble in the early stages because Windows didn't support them.

A few things to maybe try - update the software for the Creative Zen to the latest version. You might find that it works, then.

Alternatively, instead of using IE or Firefox, use Google Chrome.
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lagomorphing
 
HareBrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 5,329
Blog Entries: 8
Re: I hate Microsoft!!

I knew there was a reason I never bothered to install SP3 ...
HareBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Aye fur Alba
 
The Ace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Perth and Kinross
Posts: 4,131
Blog Entries: 2
Re: I hate Microsoft!!

We all do, AE.
The Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 07:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Science fiction fantasy
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 425
Re: I hate Microsoft!!

Maybe update Java.

Just some more info. I use iTunes myself, but okay, lets look at the iTunes IDE. It is written in Java and the Java Virtual Machine is theoretically dependent upon the web browser and not the operating system. It is classed as middleware. This zune IDE might also be implemented using Java, so that is why I will mention that downloading the latest version of Java might fix the problem and Firefox should work as a good web browser but take iTunes as an example, it uses a web browser called safari I think. Anyway, just try updating Java and it might work than.

Link.

Last edited by Tinsel; 8th May 2010 at 08:19 AM.
Tinsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 09:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
]==[]===O
 
AE35Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Darlington
Posts: 5,763
Re: I hate Microsoft!!

Ah no worries, we just use the laptop now,hardly use the PC at all-its pretty much defunct!
AE35Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 06:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Science fiction fantasy
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 425
Re: I hate Microsoft!!

In the past I've thrown Linux on the old computers and used them for another three or four years, at least for basic Internet surfing use, not for products like hand held devices. Ubuntu would bring it back to life and Linux runs well, it used to run better than Microsoft's platform however I have not had any problems with Windows Vista, so I've stayed with it.
Tinsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 08:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
I lie. A lot. Honest!
 
Devil's Advocate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: [I am a spambot, selecting the default option - ban me!]
Posts: 698
Re: I hate Microsoft!!

Vista sucks! Seriously, everyone who hasn't yet needs to leave that crap behind and switch over to Windows 7. It's somewhere between 11 and 293 times better. It's everything Vista should have been, and then some.

AE35,

Try updating your Zen's firmware. Hopefully that should do the trick. And I'm afraid you're stuck with Windows; last time I checked, Creative's players aren't OS X compatible. I know this was the reason I got rid of mine and bought an iPod when I got my iMac.
Devil's Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 11:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Save punctuation!
 
ktabic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 737
Re: I hate Microsoft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ace View Post
We all do, AE.
I don't. I love Microsoft. Their screw-ups and stupid design decisions are why I'm employed. I will point out here that I personally don't use Windows on any of my own systems. It's linux all round. Even on the my phone.
ktabic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 03:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Happy Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 504
Re: I hate Microsoft!!

Let me get this straight;
You are not using a Microsoft player, but are mad at Microsoft because Creative (never known, in my experience, for making products with good ongoing support) does not interface well with the newer Microsoft browser.

I would say that Creative needs to provide an update to make their players compatible with updates to the most wide spread software in the world, not that Microsoft needs to support a product that is not related to their operations.

I know it is stylish to hate Microsoft but you really need to ask Creative to support their own products. (Lack of support and having to jump through hoops to make Creative products work is the reason I stopped using them years ago)...Good Luck!

BTW; W7 is just Vista second edition (I too never had problems with Vista, though I mostly just used it on the home theater machine).

Enjoy!

Last edited by Happy Joe; 10th May 2010 at 03:55 PM.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 03:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
]==[]===O
 
AE35Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Darlington
Posts: 5,763
Re: I hate Microsoft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Joe View Post
Let me get this straight;
You are not using a Microsoft player, but are mad at Microsoft because Creative (never known, in my experience, for making products with good ongoing support) does not interface well with the newer Microsoft browser.

I would say that Creative needs to provide an update to make their players compatible with the most wide spread software in the world, not that Microsoft needs to support a product that is not related to their operations.


Enjoy!
Nah I just hate Microshaft,period
Basically we won a creative zen player ages ago and liked it so just stuck with them. At the time we were using an XP machine and it didn't like iTunes so we wouldn't have been able to use an ipod anyway. Then when we updated the PC )bloody windoze updates!) it no longer recognised our player. But is ok because our laptop runs Vista. I don't like Vista (preferred 98 SE) but it runs our Creative software nkw so thread irrelevant,other than generally hating microshaft!
AE35Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 04:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
GrownUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Greater London
Posts: 489
Re: I hate Microsoft!!

IE8 is pants, it breaks for many sites, especially sites not in the UK or US. And a load of overseas sites uselessly have software that uses Microsoft-only code on it, like for rendering foreign characters, x wotsits and the other.

But Firefox does have a load of user-written plugins which can mimic the effect of
whatever software the browser can't find. For future reference, try installing Firefox plugins (I assume you mean Firefox when you say Mozilla) to solve whatever problem you have. I know you don't need it now, but Firefox plugins solve so much.

Fight the power, man.
GrownUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 05:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
I lie. A lot. Honest!
 
Devil's Advocate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: [I am a spambot, selecting the default option - ban me!]
Posts: 698
Re: I hate Microsoft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Joe View Post
BTW; W7 is just Vista second edition (I too never had problems with Vista, though I mostly just used it on the home theater machine).
Oh, that is so wrong. Vista was a god-awful OS. I had been thinking of an iMac anyway, cuz it's just oh-so-sexy, but my experience with Vista was definitely what made the decision final for me.

I have used Win 7, though, and it's a lot better. Faster, smoother, more stable. And it doesn't pop-up that annoying Administrator Confirmation thing every damn time you try to change some settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrownUP
Fight the power, man.
Considering the way things have been for the last few years, what that really means is that you shouldn't use Apple products...
Devil's Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 05:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Press "X" to Admire Hat.
 
Lenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: [I am a spambot, selecting the default option - ban me!]
Posts: 3,652
Blog Entries: 3
Re: I hate Microsoft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
Oh, that is so wrong. Vista was a god-awful OS. I had been thinking of an iMac anyway, cuz it's just oh-so-sexy, but my experience with Vista was definitely what made the decision final for me.

I have used Win 7, though, and it's a lot better. Faster, smoother, more stable. And it doesn't pop-up that annoying Administrator Confirmation thing every damn time you try to change some settings.
I have to say that I agree with HJ and that I'm another one who had very few problems with Vista - my current rig had absolutely no problems at all. Indeed, it ran pretty well.

At the time, Vista was a huge step up from XP. Sure, it ran hotter and slower, but the things you could do made it worth the upgrade. I won't argue that it wasn't a resource hog, that it wasn't slow and that it didn't have it's problems, but it was a decent OS.

These days, Windows 7 is definitely my weapon of choice and I'd never go back to Vista simply because Windows 7 is so much better - a year and a half of running it and I've not had a single problem.

Maybe MS shouldn't have listened to feedback and released Longhorn, rather than re-developing it as Vista... who knows what might have happened? We can all bash MS and Vista as much as we want these days - isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?

---

Windows 7 does pop up the UAC box, just as Vista did - the copy of 7 you used just had it turned off (as could be done in Vista).
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 03:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Happy Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 504
Re: I hate Microsoft!!

Quote:
These days, Windows 7 is definitely my weapon of choice and I'd never go back to Vista simply because Windows 7 is so much better - a year and a half of running it and I've not had a single problem.
X2... I still have the retail, never activated, Vista 64 Home Premium OS from the home theater, used it about 16 to 18 months (now W7 64 Ultimate) if Devil's Advocate would like a blast from the past. Interestingly, some of the Vista Media Center functions worked slightly better than the initial W7 version (fast forward when playing music, for example).

I still have this (disposable) internet machine and several LAN machines running XP (mostly pro) but have long since gotten rid of (or converted) all of the W98 SE and ME machines. MY preferred rigs are now all multi-core W7 machines. (It, sometimes, pays to jump on the "early adopter" deals from Microsoft to get multiple copies of operating systems; unfortunately these offers are now all closed).

Enjoy!

Last edited by Happy Joe; 11th May 2010 at 03:39 PM.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.