Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Publishers & Industry > Publishing

Publishing Questions and answers about the publishing industry, featuring answers from literary agents, publisher writers, and editors.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 02:48 PM   #16 (permalink)

Re: Hiring an editor, good idea or not?

Quote:
by Tirellan
Note: Mr J will not represent a manuscript that he has done a paid edit on.

Really? Why not?

Before discovering the chrons, (and I was sitting in a writer's group that was terrified of critiquing), I did pay for a 'professional' editor to look at my book. The encouragement I got helped me enormously, and he did not pull any punches. But although it ran to seven pages, it was quite general in too many sections, giving examples of 'how-to' write that were drawn from books that I could have bought myself. It did advance my writing without doubt, but I honestly think I have had more direction from the Chrons. And latterly, without a shadow of a doubt, from a group that solely does critique, suggest, encourage, nay demand at times. That continues, and I add to others who have suggested joining one - the trick is finding a good one. Start your own, if you can't find one in your area?
Boneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 06:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneman View Post

Really? Why not?
Because it would be a conflict of interest.
It could be made to look like 'if you pay me to edit this, then I'll represent it afterwards" which means the writer is paying the agent.
You can understand how he would not want any such appearance
Tirellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 07:26 PM   #18 (permalink)

Aah... yeah. Good point.
Boneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2009, 12:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
www.ticketyboopress.co.uk

I think that becoming a good writer is all about learning your craft. So if you use a "Pay for," editor and it helps. That can only be good.

I personally have had JJ edit my work 3 times and each time I'd improved from the last edit. I didnt think, 'Oh this will be so good, he'll sign me up straight away.'

It's just a learning curve for me and it's been worth every penny.

I am currently re-drafting and will approach JJ next year for another round of criticism.
Gary Compton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 09:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
"We Read for Light"

Let's talk money. Finding a proven editor for under about $50 per hour will be quite difficult. My wife hired a seasoned, proven editor for her first three chapters, and it ran over $600.

You might get lucky with one of the scads of "editorial services" types that list on Craigslist and other ad forums ... but they're likely to be no better you.
It's a dilemma. Do you have any close friends who are professionals?
Window Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 09:59 PM   #21 (permalink)

Check out www.johnjarrold.co.uk he will do a full edit for around £500 ($800)

He's is as honest as the day is long and wont pull any punches. Check out his CV on his website.
Old 11th January 2010, 11:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
ctg
weaver of the unseen

Do also check out writers workshop, most of their editors are seasoned and published writers, and I know that they can negotiate a fixed price for the services. I bet that if you do a bit more research in the states, you'll find more suitable prices for the editorial services then paying 600 bucks for three chapters.
ctg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 07:51 PM   #23 (permalink)

I know a couple of the SF/F authors they name on their site as editors and they are solidly good writers.
Tirellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 05:07 PM   #24 (permalink)
Easily blunted.

Following from ctg’s post, I used the Writers’ Workshop to critique my first book – it wasn’t cheap, but it proved to be a great education in writing. They were honest and encouraging (and pretty hard on my writing, where it needed it), and I’d certainly say writing my second book was a lot easier (and probably better) because of their advice and feedback.

For me, it was money well spent.
Stylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 05:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
Brian G. Turner

Even if John Jarrold has a policy of not taking as a client someone he was hired to edit for, that should not put you off from using his services.

Remember, there are other agents, and good names in this industry carry weight.

I've met John and he's a friendly and professional guy, and I'd be happy for him to edit any of my pieces before submitting, on the grounds that I think a MS should be as polished as possible before submitting. I would treat every error as another reason for an agent to drop your MS and move onto the next. Therefore, the fewer glaring errors, the stronger the MS, and the more likely it will be treated with a more serious regard.

Of course, a good crit group may help, but finding a good crit group can be quite a challenge in itself!
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 05:58 PM   #26 (permalink)

I don't think John has that policy. I've used him 3 times now and I did ask him this question many moons ago. Something like have you ever edited someone and then went on to take them into your agency.

He replied that he hadn't but he'd come close on a couple of occasions and also on another, he'd pushed the author in the direction of another agent with his recomendation.

I dont think there is a conflict of interest, as Brian says you want it to be the best as possible and if it turns out to be very publishable after JJ has looked at it.

I doubt he would pass the opportunity and also you wouldn't complain about paying for the edit if he then signed you up!
Old 7th December 2010, 08:31 AM   #27 (permalink)

John Jarrold is an agent on the forums, and he also offers editing services - I always figured it would be a good investment to hire him to work on the manuscript before submission.

Any agent worth his or her salt does NOT have editing services! Do not fall for this ****! It is your job to get your stuff straight before submitting to an agent. And a real agent does not charge you. Never, ever pay and agent. Money flows to the writer.
Steven Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 10:04 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lloyd View Post
John Jarrold is an agent on the forums, and he also offers editing services - I always figured it would be a good investment to hire him to work on the manuscript before submission.

Any agent worth his or her salt does NOT have editing services! Do not fall for this ****! It is your job to get your stuff straight before submitting to an agent. And a real agent does not charge you. Never, ever pay and agent. Money flows to the writer.
Whoa! I suggest you do a bit of research before you comment on Mr J in this manner. He is a widely respected UK agent, (take a look at his client list and the sales he has made ) and he also runs an editing service,
(Freelance editing for publishers including Hodder & Stoughton, Random House, HarperCollins, Pan Macmillan, Transworld, Simon & Schuster, Orion/Gollancz, Constable & Robinson and Time Warner.) but both are run as separate businesses
SJAB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 10:08 AM   #29 (permalink)
Truth. Order. Moderation.

You are right about never paying an agent, Steven. However, John isn't asking for money as an agent. He has a separate -- and highly respectable -- second job as an editor, for which, as a professional, he is paid. He doesn't confuse the two jobs and neither should anyone else who engages him, as you'll see from Tirellan's post above.
The Judge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 11:35 AM   #30 (permalink)
Author and Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lloyd View Post

Echoing the comments of Tirellan and Boneman, don't confuse John with some of the charlatans and scammers that can undoubtedly be found in the agency game.

John is highly respected within the UK genre fiction community, known to authors, editors and publishers alike, and authors he represents are publshed by just about every major genre imprint you can think of.

Prior to becoming an agent, John gained considerable experience as an editor running imprints for major publishers (Orbit, Legend, Earthlight), and now offers that expertise to help steer would-be authors in the right direction. Naturally he does so in a professional capacity and so at a price, in a business that runs alongside but completely separately from his work as an agent.

John is the real deal.
Ian Whates is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: