Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Books and Writing > Books and Literature > General Book Discussion

General Book Discussion General Science Fiction Fantasy books and literature discussion.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th January 2010, 12:17 AM   #31 (permalink)
Moderator
 
GOLLUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Australia, Victoria
Posts: 9,333
Re: SF Masterwork series continued...

It certainly looks like they're going to be publishing more SF Masterworks this year than ever before just about.. Good news for all!!...
GOLLUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 09:05 AM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Fried Egg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Devon
Posts: 3,063
Re: SF Masterwork series continued...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amzolt View Post
Shame there are no books by C. J. Cherryh here.........
Which Cherryh book(s) would you put in the Masterworks series then?
Fried Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 09:24 AM   #33 (permalink)
Moderator
 
GOLLUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Australia, Victoria
Posts: 9,333
Re: SF Masterwork series continued...

That's what I was going to ask....
GOLLUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 10:24 AM   #34 (permalink)
]==[]===O
 
AE35Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Darlington
Posts: 5,760
Re: SF Masterwork series continued...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fried Egg View Post
Which Cherryh book(s) would you put in the Masterworks series then?
Must Read Cherryh!
But I'm guessing the title of choice would be Downbelow Station, her most well known work?
AE35Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 10:31 AM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
iansales's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Yorkshire
Posts: 3,442
Re: SF Masterwork series continued...

So many of Cherryh's books are in series, it might be difficult to choose one. I still have a soft spot for Angel with the Sword - which is a stand-alone, although a seven-book shared world "mosaic novel" series set on the same world was published later. I also quite like Serpent's Reach, which is certainly a stand-alone.
iansales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 10:34 AM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Fried Egg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Devon
Posts: 3,063
Re: SF Masterwork series continued...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansales View Post
So many of Cherryh's books are in series, it might be difficult to choose one. I still have a soft spot for Angel with the Sword - which is a stand-alone, although a seven-book shared world "mosaic novel" series set on the same world was published later. I also quite like Serpent's Reach, which is certainly a stand-alone.
A series of hers could be entered in an omnibus edition, even split in two if size dictates as others have been (such as Gene Wolfe's "Book of the New Sun", Jack Vance's "Lyonesse", etc.)
Fried Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 12:15 PM   #37 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Connavar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 8,127
Re: SF Masterwork series continued...

Her most rated books dont have problems staying in print. That might be why she dont have a book in SFM.

If they dont care about having books that already out by other publishers they should add more rated books by quality female SF,Fantasy writers. Too male dominated it looks like when you go through the list.
Connavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 12:59 PM   #38 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
iansales's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Yorkshire
Posts: 3,442
Re: SF Masterwork series continued...

The SF Masterworks series are published in the UK. None of Cherryh's books are currently in print in the UK - have a look on amazon.co.uk. The easy availability of US-published books is irrelevant.
iansales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 01:13 PM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Fried Egg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Devon
Posts: 3,063
Re: SF Masterwork series continued...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansales View Post
The SF Masterworks series are published in the UK. None of Cherryh's books are currently in print in the UK - have a look on amazon.co.uk. The easy availability of US-published books is irrelevant.
Is there any easy way to tell on Amazon whether a book is in print in the UK or America other than by knowing where the publisher is located?
Fried Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 01:27 PM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
iansales's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Yorkshire
Posts: 3,442
Re: SF Masterwork series continued...

No, not really. Although a couple of publishers - Orbit and Solaris - publish simultaneously (mostly) in both countries.
iansales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 01:28 PM   #41 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Fried Egg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Devon
Posts: 3,063
Re: SF Masterwork series continued...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connavar View Post
Her most rated books dont have problems staying in print. That might be why she dont have a book in SFM.

If they dont care about having books that already out by other publishers they should add more rated books by quality female SF,Fantasy writers. Too male dominated it looks like when you go through the list.
I had a bit of trouble getting one of her books for our recent Goodreads monthly read. Didn't exist in our library system, never see her books in new or second hand bookshops. I only heard of her when I saw threads on this forum talking about her. She's hardly known attall in the UK.
Fried Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 01:38 PM   #42 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
iansales's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Yorkshire
Posts: 3,442
Re: SF Masterwork series continued...

Egg, I wouldn't go that far. During the 1970s and 1980s, she was very popular in the UK. But none of her books since the mid- to late-1990s have made it into print here. She's now written 11 or 12 books in the Foreigner series, but I think only the first two were ever published in the UK.
iansales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 01:48 PM   #43 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Fried Egg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Devon
Posts: 3,063
Re: SF Masterwork series continued...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansales View Post
Egg, I wouldn't go that far. During the 1970s and 1980s, she was very popular in the UK. But none of her books since the mid- to late-1990s have made it into print here. She's now written 11 or 12 books in the Foreigner series, but I think only the first two were ever published in the UK.
Perhaps, I can only say that, comming into SF&F in the late 80's, I had never heard of her until I saw her mentioned in these forums. Perhaps she was popular before my time but she certainly isn't now. I'm just illustrating for Connavar how little known she is in the UK now and I think that makes her an ideal candidate for the masterwork series (i.e. an author who is/was widely regarded but is not so well known now).
Fried Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 02:01 PM   #44 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
iansales's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Yorkshire
Posts: 3,442
Re: SF Masterwork series continued...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fried Egg View Post
I'm just illustrating for Connavar how little known she is in the UK now and I think that makes her an ideal candidate for the masterwork series (i.e. an author who is/was widely regarded but is not so well known now).
In that respect, yes, I'd agree. Although obscurity shouldn't be the only reason an author appears in the series :-)
iansales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 03:48 PM   #45 (permalink)
Weird Writer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8
Re: SF Masterwork series continued...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fried Egg View Post
Which Cherryh book(s) would you put in the Masterworks series then?
Well... The Morgaine Saga and possibly the Cyteen series
amzolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.