Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Film > General Film Discussion

General Film Discussion For discussing the silver screen and the DVD.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th April 2010, 04:23 PM   #76 (permalink)
Member The Black Company

Re: Clash of the Titans (2010)

I saw "Clash Of The Titans" yesterday and I was not impressed to say the least. The 3D effects were poorly done and the action scenes were blurry. The storyline and acting were an improvement over the the 1981 movie but that's about the best I can say for it.
The DeadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 08:30 PM   #77 (permalink)
]==[]===O

Well to be honest noone goes to see these films for the acting performances,they're all about disengaging the brain and enjoying the action-forget the story! I can't see 3D so I'll watch it on blu ray, for a laugh. Gotta be better than that 1981 rubbish
AE35Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 10:48 PM   #78 (permalink)
Member The Black Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE35Unit View Post
Well to be honest noone goes to see these films for the acting performances,they're all about disengaging the brain and enjoying the action-forget the story! I can't see 3D so I'll watch it on blu ray, for a laugh. Gotta be better than that 1981 rubbish
It's definitely better than the 1981 movie. If you watch closely you will even notice them make fun of the 1981 version in a couple of places.
The DeadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 11:03 PM   #79 (permalink)
The Crazy One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I'm not a Greek scholar so can I ask a question, and then based upon that an observation?

Is there just the one single source of these stories i.e. Homer?

If so, unlike something like the tales surrounding King Arthur, which are manifold, there is only one 'correct' way to tell the story. If they are mucking about with it too much, I can certainly see where Manarion is coming from.

I posted my reasons about in Last Movie You've Seen thread.

They did muck about it far too much. They pretty much tried to wrap all the major Greek heroes into one in this movie, like they usually seem to try to do, and it just doesn't work.
Karn Maeshalanadae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 08:12 AM   #80 (permalink)
I lie. A lot. Honest!

Location: [I am a spambot, selecting the default option - ban me!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarion View Post
As a Greek mythology buff, I have my reasons for it. This is the third movie I've described like this. The other two, of course, being New Moon and Cloverfield.

I would've described the Matrix movies this way except that such a punishment would've been far too lenient in their cases.
Are New Moon, Cloverfield and Matrix supposed to be based on Greek mythology? I can't say I was aware of that, but then again, I know next to nothing of the Greeks.

I do know, however, that Brad Pitt sucked as Achilles in Troy... I can only imagine how angry that movie made you...
Devil's Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 10:17 AM   #81 (permalink)
Bearly Believable

* Imagines these words circling in Karn's head: "Diss Troy! Diss Troy! Diss Troy....!" *
Ursa major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 10:33 AM   #82 (permalink)
I lie. A lot. Honest!

Location: [I am a spambot, selecting the default option - ban me!]

Wow...7
Devil's Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 12:07 PM   #83 (permalink)
Unreg. Mutant Moderator

I saw this last night. The 3D was fairly pointless and added nothing to the movie. I would have preferred to have seen this in good ol' fashioned 2D.

In terms of the story itself I found that it relied overmuch on things happening for no apparent reason as the 'heroes' blundered into one situation after another with little reason for it. Quite why the Pegasus kept appearing at certain moments and not others seemed dictated by the power of plot rather than any reason given in the movie. They didn't even bother throwing in a oneliner "Zeus did it" comment about it, despite doing so in other parts of the movie.

Anyway, perhaps I read too much into it but by the end I just found it unintentionally humorous and a tale of class warfare. The gods (upper class, natch) decide that the lower class (Man) are being uppity and punish them only for the middle class (Perseus) to take a stand with the downtrodden. So far, so noble. Except by the end...*spoiler* Perseus decides he likes his absentee father, flying horse, magical sword and immortal hottie a lot more than hanging round with an orphaned princess in a devastated city populated by thousands of smelly homeless and the severely injured.

Also didn't the Stygian witches tell Perseus that he was fated to be killed in this adventure? Why wasn't he??

Not really sure what that's telling us except that the lower class pay, the middle class bugger off to their own devices and the upper class are largely the same as they were in the beginning?
Winters_Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 09:41 PM   #84 (permalink)
Fortiter et recte!

Just seen it.

I've seen worse, though I really can't remember when...oh yes, Howard the Duck.
pyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 11:45 PM   #85 (permalink)
The Crazy One

Believe me, Sorrow, the "good ol' fashioned" 2D version was surely no better. At least the theater I saw it in tickets were only $4 apiece.

There's reasons why I hesitate to see mythology films and this one was no exception.
Karn Maeshalanadae is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: