Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Film > General Film Discussion

General Film Discussion For discussing the silver screen and the DVD.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:34 AM   #256 (permalink)
Pretentious Avatar Alert.

Re: Avatar (2009)

Quaritch has seen a lot of nasty stuff back home on earth. Its possible he thinks that by doing 'what has to be done' on Pandora, Earth will have the resources to become a better place.
J-WO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:47 AM   #257 (permalink)
Wherever I Am, I'm There

It is clearly Imperialism. European Imperialism was given justification which today we find uncomfortable, but which at the time was seen as logical, plausible and not at all controversial. Quaritch is defending Earth. Pandora is an 'empty land', which is not being used efficiently or productively.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 03:04 PM   #258 (permalink)
Mad Mountain Man

Saw this film a couple of nights ago on DVD (no 3D) and have to say I was both massively impressed and blown away and also massively disappointed.

The special effects were quite astonishing and I was blown away by them; they really are getting steadily closer to reality with them.

The story was incredibly disppointing and yet could have been so much better. The basic idea and plot were very good and very promising. But the detail let it down massively. I felt that large elements of the story had been manufactured simply to show off the clever and remarkable special effects. This is surely the wrong way around.

My biggest problem with the film though was the complete lack of believability. Now I know that one should suspend disbelief for these kind of things and maybe I'm being picky but I really felt that they pushed this too far.

Pandora is a low gravity world so, yes, people and animals would be able to grow bigger. But they would be much, much more fragile and weaker than anything coming from a higher gravity. The film even admitted as much in the scene where the colonel was exercising. And yet the natives were far tougher as well as bigger than the humans (witness them tossing humans out of the shuttle with such ease).

The kind of weaponry that the humans would have had would have given them a much greater advantage over the natives than was shown.

The floating mountains were never given any real explanation, how come they seem to defy gravity but everything on them doesn't and the rock with the big waterfall that they showed so often simply wasn't big enough to accumulate that much water.

If the natives could do that transfer of conciousness thing then they should have been effectively immortal (barring accident and war).

The happily everafter ending doesn't allow for the fact that when the humans get back to Earth they will simply return and nuke the natives who had "savagely massacred their peacefull first contact forces". There is no way the few humans that remained could lift the native technology quickly enough to survive a concerted and sensibly lead attack from space.

And finally who on Earth (literally) thought "Unobtainium" was a good name for the stuff they were mining. A name like that might have been suitable for a spoof like Galaxy Quest, but a relatively serious film like this I'm sorry but it is ridiculous.

There were many more small details that failed for me but those are a few that spring to mind.

It was a visually spectacular film but that is really all I can say in its support.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 03:42 PM   #259 (permalink)
|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

See, the thing about this sort of movie is that it's entertainment and as I really enjoyed it, it definately did it's job. I'll be looking forward to seeing the sequels and this time, i'll be seeing them at the cinema and in 3D just as Cameron envisaged them. (I just hope that they're not as bad as the Matrix sequels.)
Rodders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 03:45 PM   #260 (permalink)

On that note, I read that they are actually talking about making more Matrix movies soon. How or why I don't know.
Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 07:09 PM   #261 (permalink)
|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

Yeah, there's another thread on these forums. Personally, i'm really looking forward to these. OK, the sequels weren't as good as we wanted them to be but i think that a prequel would be excellent.
Old 30th January 2011, 09:14 PM   #262 (permalink)
Riftsound resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
And finally who on Earth (literally) thought "Unobtainium" was a good name for the stuff they were mining.
Probably the same kind of people who made up "quark". Not to mention "strange quark" and "charm quark", i.e. scientists.
Thadlerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 10:17 AM   #263 (permalink)
Fool

Bloody scientists!
Hilarious Joke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 04:20 PM   #264 (permalink)
Prehistoric Irish Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadlerian View Post
Probably the same kind of people who made up "quark". Not to mention "strange quark" and "charm quark", i.e. scientists.
Yeah. Not to mention those pesky joules and ergs.
clovis-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 02:53 PM   #265 (permalink)

amazing film well worth the money it cost to make it i hope the make another like it
shaun45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 03:09 PM   #266 (permalink)
Science fiction fantasy

Great Movie. I m bigfan of avatar and the last airbender........
brownwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 07:13 PM   #267 (permalink)
Riftsound resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownwhite View Post
Great Movie. I m bigfan of avatar and the last airbender........
We might not be referring to the same pop-cultural entity here. This thread is about the movie Avatar by James Cameron. You might be talking about the TV series Avatar: The Last Airbender, an equally brilliant show by Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. As far as I'm aware, no thread exists for the latter, but that is easily remedied.
Thadlerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 11:07 PM   #268 (permalink)
Benevolent Galaxy Being

I thought the movie was ok, seemed like another "cowboys vs indians" to me, and I kept thinking of current countries being attacked with high technology while the native people fight back with rocks and faith in God. I probably won't watch it again.
Starbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 08:40 AM   #269 (permalink)
|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

Personally, i loved Avatar and watched it several times. (I'm even considering getting a Blu Ray player so that i can see it in high definition.)

I didn't see it in 3D, which is a shame.
Old 25th March 2012, 05:29 PM   #270 (permalink)

I also enjoyed Avatar immensely, and yes, shoddy plot taped together by rule of cool spit and gum, but so what? Sure the Earthlings could have just done an orbital bombing without going all 'Nam on the Naavi. Sure it's a mishmash of apparently dozens of ripped off concepts from the gold age of sci-fi and beyond. But watching it gave such a rush. And I bet that just like Star Wars it gave a temporary boost to everyone pitching 'sci-fi' projects to the bigwigs.
TedKeller is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: