Science Fiction Fantasy  
Go Back   Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums > Film & TV > Film > General Film Discussion

General Film Discussion For discussing the silver screen and the DVD.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd February 2010, 03:11 PM   #181 (permalink)
Luna tick

Re: Avatar (2009)

There was alot of Pandora left to explore, and many other 'tribes' of the Na'vi to look into.
Moonbat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 07:09 PM   #182 (permalink)
Riftsound resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLLUM View Post
I'm one of those old fashioned types who normally prefers intelligent content over pure show when it comes to film.
Oh, there's enough nuance and ideas in Avatar. You just have to look out for it. To put it another way: Many people have beforehand decided it's a stupid movie (I did), so they allow themselves to watch it with stupid eyes. They're told what the movie is like, so when they watch it, they see only the stuff that verifies what they've been told.

Go see it. It's awesome.
Thadlerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 12:19 AM   #183 (permalink)
Fool

Yeah I think you should see it, Gol. I don't think the story's bad, maybe not very original, but it still fires the imagination.

None of the dodgy dialogue complaints or whatever hindered my enjoyment of the movie.
Hilarious Joke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 12:50 AM   #184 (permalink)
Destroyer of Words

For me, as a 3D novice (nearly said virgin, but that may have given the wrong impression), the experience was phenomenal given that every aspect of the imagery was created from scratch - not painted grass or anything silly like that. It was like being in another world, quite literally ... which was worth the price of admission imho.
Interference is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 12:58 AM   #185 (permalink)

Well if you insist....

I'll still watch it as I enjoy a visual feast. It's just that I normally I prefer my films to be backed up by some semblance of intelligent commentary.

I'm especially going to be looking out for those elusive insights Thadlerian suggests are there....
GOLLUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 01:12 AM   #186 (permalink)
Destroyer of Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLLUM View Post
It's just that I normally I prefer my films to be backed up by some semblance of intelligent commentary.
Silly boy. Two words: James ... and Cameron.
Interference is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 05:23 PM   #187 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Procrastinator View Post
Pandora's would need engineering to fit the different chemical balance of our world, but it could be done. This could be the "Pandora's Box" scenario hinted at in the title of the world...
"Pandora's box" makes perfect sense! That is definitely a possibility. To get to Earth, it would probably have to be some kind of rescue operation. Several Pandorans get kidnapped, and a rescue mission is launched... Then they discover the state of Earth, and discover a way to heal it.
Themistocles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 07:47 PM   #188 (permalink)
roar

I finally saw this on Wednesday (Orange Wednesday!) in 3D. 3D's good but unless you're looking at the main focus point of the screen everything else is blurred, which is a bit annoying with a film like Avatar where you kinda want to look at everything on screen.

I enjoyed the film, even though it was massively predictable and certain bits of dialogue was massively dodgy!
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 09:05 AM   #189 (permalink)
Pretentious Avatar Alert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themistocles View Post
Then they discover the state of Earth, and discover a way to heal it.
Given this new technology, I think they could make Earth (a total opposite to Pandora- all super cities and chemical oceans etc) look spectacular.
J-WO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 01:03 PM   #190 (permalink)
|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

I haven't seen this yet, but i will soon. I have a feeling that any sequels will turn out like the Matrix trilogy. A Great first part, with much weaker, less thought out follow ups that will bring down the entire story. For some reason (and forgive me, but i am aware that without seeing it, i am on the side of ignorance here), i don't get the impression that there's much more story to tell. Any sequels will be franchised.
Rodders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 04:59 PM   #191 (permalink)
This world is not my home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
I haven't seen this yet, but i will soon. I have a feeling that any sequels will turn out like the Matrix trilogy. A Great first part, with much weaker, less thought out follow ups that will bring down the entire story. For some reason (and forgive me, but i am aware that without seeing it, i am on the side of ignorance here), i don't get the impression that there's much more story to tell. Any sequels will be franchised.
They wouldn't have to be. I may be in the minority here, but I am quite sure that the next sequel will be on Pandora, and we will begin to see what's in the box. If you remember the myth, the box was so intriguing that Pandora could not help herself, although she'd been warned, and opened the box. I think the same thing is going to happen here.

Human philosophy tends to follow the ying and the yang. We have seen the bad with the good in the humans. Now the next step is to see the good with the bad in the Pandorans.

If you've been following this thread, you may remember one of my earlier posts when I pointed out that the Pandoran's both knew what a warrior was and appreciated it. You will also remember that our heroine comes within an eyelash of killing the hero before he's done anything wrong. Although the race is in harmony with nature and detests killing without a good reason, killing is still part of their life and vocation.

I think we will be reminded of the old human adage: "Beauty is only skin deep."

You also have to remember that we have the Pandoran "Gia" to be considered. Who or what is this mysterious life force. Is it truly all of nature bound together or is there some binding agent that is in control.

There are many possible stories and I'm willing to bet that any really good ones happen on Pandora, not on earth.
Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 09:12 AM   #192 (permalink)

And then, of course, there's all those other moons floating around that big ol' gas giant...
Old 7th February 2010, 02:33 PM   #193 (permalink)
Luna tick

Wasn't Gia sort of like a brain with 10 to the something amount of connections through al lthe living things on the planet, something about the communication travelling up through roots and form one plant to anohter, sort of like a giant brain with the all the interconnected neurons. Maybe the Gia/Pandora will be a big brain and will figure out that humans suck and so blow them all away, or at least try to, so then the humans will kill of Gia/Pandora with some clever poison and pave over the planet to make a giant parking lot/skate park.
Moonbat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 06:59 AM   #194 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Okay. I finally saw Avatar. Not in 3-D, but that hardly seemed necessary, given how gorgeous the film is in 2-D.

I have to say, I went in not really expecting to like the movie very much. I've only seen two other James Cameron movies, to my knowledge: Titanic, which I really hated, and The Abyss, which is among my favorite films. In fact, I only went at the last minute, with friends, and we had been thinking of seeing Sherlock Holmes, but the showing started too late (I had to be at work this morning, and two of the people I saw it with had to drive back to Utah this morning). So, we saw Avatar instead.

And...I liked it very much. Much more than I expected to.

And after the movie we were talking about what the moral of the story was. One (not the one I came up with) was, "Never let your troops go native." The one I came up with was, "When you visit someone's house, don't walk off with their stuff; it might make them angry, and for good reason."
littlemissattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 08:53 AM   #195 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissattitude View Post
And after the movie we were talking about what the moral of the story was. One (not the one I came up with) was, "Never let your troops go native." The one I came up with was, "When you visit someone's house, don't walk off with their stuff; it might make them angry, and for good reason."
The moral I drew was 'if you stick a body part into any animal it will do whatever you tell it.'

Since then,I've been banned from my local zoo and I've gained a prosthetic leg.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: